Dose with Prozinc

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

I’m going to ask here and listen to all of the responses, which I’m sure may vary.

I did it. I just ordered my first vial of Prozinc from Valley Vet and box of U40 from ADW. Now the big question ..and I appreciate all opinions.

Gretchen is on 2.5 units twice (am/pm) of the Novilin and it’s had her down in the blue when I could curve over the weekend.

What would you start her on with the Prozinc??? (and why)

My vet, bless his heart, will prescribe it for me but he is totally in the dark with Prozinc. I’m hoping I can show him great stats with Gretchen and maybe he’ll get more motivated to carry it.

@JL and Chip please chime in here too, you are so valued by Gretchen and me!

2. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

If it were my cat, I'd start Prozinc at no more than 1 u BID and follow the "start low go slow" protocol.

The reasons:
    - she does NOT have a history of DKA, so you can be patient and methodical.

- you've just had a really rough ride on N and you both need a break.

- you're gone 12 hours a day much of the time so you're not able to collect mid cycle data on most days.

- it's easy to overshoot the ideal dose. Patience usually wins (and gets you there faster) than guessing.

- sometimes too high of a dose can look the same as too low of a dose (i.e, high BG). I'd rather remove that possibility from the equation so I don't have to wonder.

I'd also continue to keep checking for ketones as their presence changes the equation.

I'd stick with 1 u for the first week then run a curve on your off days to see where you were. At that point the new insulin had a week to settle in and you should be past whatever chaos came from the N. If warranted, I'd probably increase in 0.25 u increments.

Keep in mind that if you end up treating an infection, once it clears, her BG will likely come down.

Even though an insulin TENDS to have a certain action in cats, every cat is different so it's important to see how that insulin works in YOUR cat.

That's my two cents. :)
    (And I never give dosing advice, so I'm breaking my rules for you!)

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  3. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

And I value your 2 cents! ( as does Gretchen :) )

Is the dose between the 2 different insulin’s an entire different ballgame? Like does 1 unit of Novilin = 1 unit of Prozinc in strength? Taking in the consideration of the different syringes?

I feel like I’m getting a new pony or something here! Ha ha crazy excited.

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  4. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Novolin is u100 insulin. When we were using ProZinc we used the conversion chart with u 100 syringes. U100 insulin stronger but the difference is in the action of the insulin.
    Here's a link I found helpful to describe the differences in strength.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

Keep in mind you will NOT need this conversion chart unless you wish to use u100 syringes with prozinc.

I agree that 1 unit would be a good place to start. The potential for longer action (vs novolin) can decrease the amount they need because they aren't going back up so early in the cycle.
    If 1 unit is too low and it's obvious by high numbers you could increase by 0.5 units but I would only do so if you're seeing consistently high numbers, can monitor closely, and/or ketones pop up.

5. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

No as soon as I ordered the Prozinc I went to ADW and ordered U40s. Now just hoping all goes smoothly with VV getting script form vet. He will I know that for sure, but it’s just getting ahold of him. He’s super busy. I sent a heads up fax.

6. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Good luck on the switch! Smooth surfing vines sent!

7. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Aww sweet, thank you. I’m so eager to hopefully get off of this steep rollercoaster!

What are vines? :) I’ve seen this quite a bit...

8. Megan and Tessie

Megan and Tessie Member

If it was my kitty, I'd start low, probably 1 U, but I would definitely wait to hear from people that are experienced with dosing. I'd start the new insulin on a day that I could get at least 1 or 2 tests near midday, maybe even a curve. Otherwise, I know I'd be worrying about how she was doing while I was at work.

I love how excited you are about it! This process has made me get excited about things that most people might find a little crazy :) can't wait to see how Gretchen does on it! Fingers crossed!

9. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

FDMB's term for vibes.
    I can relate to the excitement. I switched from ProZinc to Lantus and was very excited to see how it would work. I was very nervous too but it worked out great.

10. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

It’s shipped whoop whoop! I am having it shipped to my hospital as this is where I’ll be. U40’s should arrive just in time also, I have some but wanted different ones :)

I plan on starting 1 unit Friday morning as I am off on Fridays.

Hmmm vines for vibes...I’m betting there’s a story behind this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.