? Dosing advice...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Mr. Kitty, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Sara and Mr. Kitty Member

Mr. Kitty is doing really well except for me fiddling with his ears during testing. We went from 3U Vetsulin to 1-1.25U with the help of low carb FF and just a little dry kibble each day. His numbers have been all over the place. I’m glad I listened to the advice from here to lower him immediately. His numbers today were pretty low, and I did give a little gravy when he went down to 91 at +4. Would 91 be considered his peak? Perfect timing for me to leave town Thursday (not!) but luckily my pet sitter has a diabetic cat so I feel kinda better. I told her not to shoot if he’s under 250 pre-food - his PMPS tonight was 244. Should I follow my own advice and skip or give him 1U?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I think that's close enough to 250...if you're able to test tonight, I'd take advantage of the opportunity to gather data and see how he does

3. Sara and Mr. Kitty

My husband gave him 1U so I’ll stay up to test him. Thank you!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  4. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Ok, so his BG was 158 +4 after his last nights 1U - this morning AMPS was 149 so I panicked, which means I skipped his dose. I should have stalled and retested but it never crossed my mind until now. I did a +6 and he’s at 373 :( should I have given him the 1U or was it ok to skip?

5. Chris & China (GA)

It's always safer to skip if you're not sure...….but yes, next time you get a Pre-shot you're not sure about, it's best to stall, don't feed and test again in 20-30 minutes.

You might need to try a smaller dose like .5 too

Sara and Mr. Kitty likes this.
  6. Chris & China (GA)

I saw on Facebook that you're going to be leaving for a few days.

Usually we recommend that you reduce the dose if you're gone. We can't be sure our kitties will eat as much as they usually do when there's a stranger in the house and things aren't the way they are used to, so it's safer to just reduce the dose while you're gone

7. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Ok, that’s a great idea! My pet sitter has a sugar cat in the same insulin so luckily she is experienced in testing, etc. thank you!

8. Sara and Mr. Kitty

PMPS 479. I’m surprised his BG wasn’t higher! Diabetes is puzzling :cat:

9. Chris & China (GA)

If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!!;)

But seriously, that's one of the bad things about Vetsulin…..if they aren't high enough to get the shot, you're stuck waiting until the next shot time and they usually zoom up since it doesn't last very long in the first place.

10. Sara and Mr. Kitty

I’m starting to see how much I dislike Vetsulin - +5 and he’s at 109. That’s a huge drop! Again, thanks for suggesting I tell my sitter to shoot .50U instead of 1U.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.