Dosing advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Heather and Gizmo, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Heather and Gizmo

Heather and Gizmo Member

Hi Everyone! I need some dosing advice again. You all are going to get tired of me. Gizmo's reading at +10.5 was 98, at +11 he is at 104, which is basically the same. So after his hypo episode last night I already reduced to 2.25u this morning and his AMPS was in the 300's. Should I give him 1u, 1.25, etc. I will do another reading in 15 min to get his PMPS reading. I can't imagine it will be much higher though. I am trying to avoid another hypo episode tonight. Thanks in advance for all of your patience with me. I feel like I am always asking for dosing advice.

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Heather I'm here! Checking SS now.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It looks like he's at 110 for PMPS? Is that right?

4. Heather and Gizmo

Heather and Gizmo Member

Hi Rachel. That is right. I have already fed him since he was looking around for crumbs. He had not eaten since at least 4:30, but could have been much earlier since I leave food out for him and we take it away once we get home from work. I have not gotten an automatic feeder yet to get a better grip on this. I was getting ready to give him 1u, but decided to check one more time to see if anyone was able to get back to me. Thank you so much.

5. Heather and Gizmo

Heather and Gizmo Member

My thought process on the 1 u was because on 3/7/19 he had a PMPS reading of 129 and his numbers ended up in the mid yellows that night. I was just a little afraid since he had the hypo episode last night that this may be to much.

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's a tough one for sure (you hear that from me a lot lol). Last night you gave 2.5 on a higher blue and had that hypo. I don't know that I'd give 1 unit. I'd either skip or give maybe 0.25. And if you give 0.25, you'll want to be prepared to stay up and test to determine that Gizmo is staying safe. That dose might be too little, but I'm nervous about going too high of a dose after last night. What do you think?

7. Heather and Gizmo

Heather and Gizmo Member

I think I agree with you. I did think of .5 u before the 1u but then I second guessed myself and was going to do 1u, but God must of whispered in my ear and told me to check to see if anyone got back with me yet. I will give the .25 u tonight. I would much rather he be to high than to low. Thank you for always being there for me. I feel like I am such a pain sometimes, like I should have this dosing down by now.

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Trust me, you're not a pain! And no, we won't get sick of you. You'll get better and better at figuring things out for yourself, but honestly, after last night, anyone would feel a little shaky. I think even someone with tons of experience would want some advice for tonight's dose after that. I would have! It's one thing if it's what you expect, but when you get a low number and had that hypo just last night, it makes it much harder...especially since you probably didn't get much sleep! Yeah I wrestled between 0.25 and 0.5 but decided that with such a low PMPS and with last night being such a RECENT hypo...Gizmo might be more sensitive right now and so let's just be safe and give a tiny dose to hopefully get some insulin in but keep it as safe as possible.

Djamila and Jenna Josie like this.
  9. Heather and Gizmo

Heather and Gizmo Member

I think I am going to make it a skinny .25u though. I will do a +2 to see where he is at. I will be saying a prayer asking the good Lord to keep him in safe numbers tonight.

10. Heather and Gizmo

Heather and Gizmo Member

I am just grateful that I was able to get his numbers back up pretty easily. I feel for Lisa and Little. She had a much harder time getting Little's numbers back up. I wonder how Little is doing today.

11. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Heather - Have you shot yet this morning? If not, I think I might drop back to 2 or even 1.75 today. Gizmo might be high this morning because of the microdose last night, but it looks like he's needing a little less insulin right now. If you already shot, don't worry about it. You always keep a good eye on him!

12. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh, and I absolutely second what Rachel said - you are not a pain! This is complicated, and asking questions is how you learn! Then you take what you know and pay it forward to help other folks when they have questions. :)

13. Heather and Gizmo

Heather and Gizmo Member

Thank you Djamila.

14. Heather and Gizmo

Heather and Gizmo Member

Lol. I am really learning now. His numbers this evening is 54 at +11.25.

Djamila likes this.