Dosing advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Breanna H, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breanna H

Breanna H Member

Hi all! Happy New Year!
    Tigger's BS the past two mornings have been in the 180's and from my understanding, the general rule is under 200, no shot? I could have rechecked in a bit to see if he went over 200, but then I assume that really throws off the 12/12 schedule? He was 180 this AM. Just rechecked him this afternoon, +7 after a meal, and he was 221. Should I have actually given him a dose this morning of maybe .25u of Prozinc instead? I normally work through the week and am unable to do curves through out the day. So I like to try to be as cautious as possible with him still getting doses. Thank you all again in advance!

EDIT:
    With some more numbers added to Tigger's chart, he is lower in the AM and high in the PM. I haven't been giving shots in the AM as I am worried about dropping him too low. Is this what bouncing is? I don't know what I should be doing to keep both numbers under control.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

I hope some of the Prozinc experts helps you out.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you can stall for 20-30 minutes without feeding and the number goes up to closer to (or above) 200, you could usually shoot safely. ProZinc has a little more wiggle room on dosing. As long as he was high enough at +11.5, you could shoot 30 minutes early to make up for it and get back on your chosen shot schedule.

As you gather more data on him, you'll learn more about how he reacts to both food and insulin and eventually that "no shot" number can start to come down.

It looks like getting him off the kibble has helped his BG! That's good news!

Breanna H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.