? Dosing advise wanted

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SuziB, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuziB

SuziB Member

Hi all,

I was able to get a full curve on Saturday and am wondering if I should lower her dose a little. Maybe down from 1U to .75U? The main reason is that she has had “blue” numbers a couple of times in the morning during the work week and I didn’t shoot because I wasn’t going to be home to monitor her and was afraid she’d go too low. This morning, her BG is 159 and, even though I will be home today, I’m not sure I should give a full dose. It would seem maybe better for her system if I gave a reduced dose rather than nothing, but I would love to hear what you all have to say.

TIA!

Suzi and Reece

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Try 0.75 u this AM because you can monitor today. Get a +2 to see where she's headed.

SuziB likes this.
  3. SuziB

SuziB Member

Thanks! Got as close to 1.9u on my u100 syringe with my u40 insulin! :D Will be interesting to see how her numbers go today!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Actually you could have tried 0.8 u using the U100s - ie., the 2 line on the U100.

SuziB likes this.
  5. SuziB

SuziB Member

That’s about what it came to, as the space between the 1.5 and 2 is sooooo tiny! Anyway, her number at +2 (more like +2.5) is only 89! Yikes! What to do? She’s eating a 1/2 can of FF right now, as it’s time for her morning snack (which she only gets when I’m home - she usually eats at AMPS, +6, +9, PMPS, +2/3ish) anyway...

Is that too low? When should I be concerned? I was going to go to the grocery store. Do I need to stay home with her? What numbers do I want her in consistently? In the blue zone? Upper green zone?

- side question...I got stuck on a phone call and didn’t actually test until +2.5. Should I put that in the +2 or +3 area on the SS?

6. Kris & Teasel

Yes to feeding her because that's a large early drop. Maybe wait until after +6 to go to the grocery store if you can. More (at least hourly) monitoring is in order up until +6. Feed snacks as needed to steer her away from lime green.

SuziB likes this.
  7. SuziB

SuziB Member

Still dropping! :( At +3, she’s at 67. About 40 minutes after she finished her snack. I will feed her more (she will be thrilled!), and test again in another hour. Getting nervous!!

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  8. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Is there some Abyssinian in Reece?

9. Kris & Teasel

If she gets to 50 give her higher carb wet food as a series of small snacks - maybe 2 tsp at a time.

10. SuziB

SuziB Member

My son accidentally opened the “emergency” higher carb wet food the other day and I threw it away! Can I feed her some of her old kibble if she drops to 50?

11. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Kibble takes a while to work... Better to add a wee bit of honey or glucose (or even some sugar if that's all you have) to a small amount of ordinary food if you need to raise blood glucose fast.

12. SuziB

SuziB Member

Ok. Thanks. I have honey and Karo syrup standing by, just in case...

13. SuziB

SuziB Member

I’m not sure. We adopted her from the humane society when she was teeny and the last of her litter to be adopted, so I never saw any siblings. She has always been tiny, loves to chit chat, and looks like a regular short-haired tabby.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  14. SuziB

SuziB Member

OK. Feeling a little better now. Tested 116 at +4. Weird that there would be a 50 point jump in an hour though, isn’t it? She did eat about another 1/4 can of FF since her last test, in all about 3/4 of a can over the last 4 hours. I’m glad I stayed home, but I feel like that was a little too close for comfort. Any ideas what’s going on with her numbers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.