Dosing help, advice asap

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Helen & Felix, Jan 29, 2018.

  1. Helen & Felix

    Helen & Felix New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2018
    I am doing my AMPS right now and Felix is reading 139 right now I have already stalled twice, Usually he gets a 0.5 U dose but since his numbers are lower than the recommended 200 can I give him a .25U dose now? As I know he’s going to be high for his PMPS if I skip his insulin now. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks
     
  2. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    I'm sorry no one saw your post earlier. What did you decide to do?

    If you need help and aren't getting a response here you can try posting on the main health forum where more people will see it.
     
  3. Helen & Felix

    Helen & Felix New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2018
    I decided not to give him the insulin.. better high than low plus I won’t be able to check on him till +6. I’m just confused about his numbers.. I did a curve on him the day before and it looks like 0.5 would be a good dose but then I did it again yesterday and both in the AM and PM he ended up hitting ~200 at AMPS +3 and PMPS+4 so I had to give him some food so he wouldn’t drop any lower as the insulin was just beginning to kick in.. what dose should I use? 0.5 or decrease it to 0.25? It just kills me when his PMPS are so high and I can’t figure out how to fix it. Thoughts?
     
  4. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    So far he's doing well on the 0.5 u dose but had a low PS this AM. When stalling isn't an option or he doesn't come up as high as you're comfortable with after an hour of stalling, try a reduced dose of maybe 50% of the normal one. If his BG is on the upswing he should be OK with a reduced dose.

    One way to try to even out the AM and PM PS numbers is to slightly reduce the dose. You can try eyeballing what we would call a "skinny" 0.5 u by filling the syringe to the 0.5 u dose line and then letting out a drop of insulin. With a bit of practice you'll get better at estimating this consistently. At the low dose he's on that drop will likely be enough to have an effect.

    After you have some data on a skinny dose you can decide whether it's working well enough for you. If not you have the option of trying a different (lower) dose in the PM to see if that gives you a higher AMPS - for example 0.5 u in the AM and 0.25 u in the PM. I suggest trying the skinny dose first but it's your call.
     
  5. Helen & Felix

    Helen & Felix New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2018
    Kris and Teasel Thanks for the suggestions!

    I didn’t know about skinny dosing.. I will definitely try that tonight.
     
    Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

    Critter Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Hi Helen,

    Felix's BG is looking much better - with no insulin. Have you let your vet know?

    FWIW, I think it would be a good safety precaution to keep up the regular ketone testing for the time being.

    BTW, if his numbers should start to trend upwards a little it would be worth discussing treating him with Lantus instead of Vetsulin because it has a gentler action profile and is easier to microdose (which is all that Felix is likely to need if he's not quite ready to go into remission).


    Mogs
    .
     
  7. Helen & Felix

    Helen & Felix New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2018
    [Felix's BG is looking much better - with no insulin. Have you let your vet know?
    FWIW, I think it would be a good safety precaution to keep up the regular ketone testing for the time being.
    BTW, if his numbers should start to trend upwards a little it would be worth discussing treating him with Lantus instead of Vetsulin because it has a gentler action profile and is easier to microdose (which is all that Felix is likely to need if he's not quite ready to go into remission).][/QUOTE]

    I just sent my vet an email about Felix's progress, hopefully I will hear back soon. It has been about 5 days with no insulin and Felix's numbers are in the lower blue range. I'm thinking I might pick up some Lantus insulin and microdose him so PS numbers will be in the green and he will have a better remission. Anyone know if it is possible to just get 1-2 cartridge of Lantus insulin at a Canadian pharmacy? as I really don't think Felix will be needing much.. ( maybe I should post this in the Lantus forum...)
     
  8. Helen & Felix

    Helen & Felix New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2018
    I just sent my vet an email about Felix's progress, hopefully I will hear back soon. It has been about 5 days with no insulin and Felix's numbers are in the lower blue range. I'm thinking I might pick up some Lantus insulin and microdose him so PS numbers will be in the green and he will have a better remission. Anyone know if it is possible to just get 1-2 cartridge of Lantus insulin at a Canadian pharmacy? as I really don't think Felix will be needing much.. ( maybe I should post this in the Lantus forum...)[/QUOTE]

    Sorry, I reposted this to the Lantus forum...
     

Share This Page