Dosing help for Piper

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by frizzball55, Sep 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you monitor? If so, you could stick with the 0.75. She hasn't been dropping super low. If not, maybe reduce to 0.5

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Is she overweight or under weight? I fed my Maine Coon (16#) 2-2.5 cans daily and I feed my 10 pound Civie 2 cans. Neither are very active.

@Bobbie And Bubba has some good info on feeding/weight.

3. frizzball55

frizzball55 Member

Thanks Sue! Ya, I can monitor. I'll do .75. Should I be concerned about her pooping?

4. frizzball55

frizzball55 Member

She is underweight. Last I checked 7#s.

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If underweight, 3 cans should be okay for now. As long as the poop is solid and not runny, it should be all right. Did you change food flavor/brand?

6. frizzball55

frizzball55 Member

It's mostly solid. I would say 90%. It's the same everything just more of it.

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there. I use this formula for how much to feed the kitties: pounds X 13.5 + 70 = the calories. Using 10 lbs. as an example, 10 X 13.5 +70 =205 calories a day divided into how many meals you will be feeding a day. You said above that Frizzball is underweight so use the weight that she should be in the formula to get the calories she needs to help her gain back some weight.

This is just a guideline for a starting point and ECID so you might have to tweak it later.

8. frizzball55

frizzball55 Member

Thank you! I am just guessing that she should be 9 pounds. I think I am going to cut down to 2 1/2 cans. She didn't start going to the bathroom like this until I added the night feeding. Hopefully this will work!

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  9. frizzball55

frizzball55 Member

Piper was at 266 amps. Should I up her dose to 1u? Feeding her less has helped her pooping, but she is still peeing a lot. She did sleep until a normal hour today for the first time since we started this. This is definitely a dance. Thank you for your help!

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I think that will be fine. Can you get a test around nadir?

11. frizzball55

frizzball55 Member

Thank you! Ya, I can. Hopefully this will be the magic number.

12. frizzball55

frizzball55 Member

Piper is relatively low tonight. She is 173 at her pmps. I feel comfortable giving her some insulin. I think I will give her .75. Can you give more insulin in the morning and less at night on a usual basis, or should I some how figure out how to measure .85? Peeing and pooping was normal today. Yay!!

13. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Yes, you can use a sliding scale. So for a preshot in the 180, less than a preshot in the high 200s. One way to alter a dose a teeny bit is to give a skinny or fat dose. Not terribly accurate, but doable. So if you want to give less than .75, pull up one unit and let out a drop at a time until you are just below .75.

The easier way to give insulin in smaller increments is to use U100 syringes (same as humans use - available at the drug store. Be sure to get ones that measure in 0.5 units). If you decide to do that, you must use the conversion chart. You'll be using U100 needles with U40 insulin so you have to convert.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

14. frizzball55

frizzball55 Member

Thank you so much! I will definitely be getting the u100s. For today, with her amps at 234, should I give her a fat .75 or go up to 1u? Thank you so much for your help!

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Either one looks okay- maybe one if you can monitor, 0.75 if you can't?

16. frizzball55

frizzball55 Member

Okay, great! Thanks Sue. I can monitor today. I will keep her at 1. Thank you for your advice!

17. frizzball55

frizzball55 Member

Hi! Just checking in. Would y'all mind checking Piper's numbers out? I am thinking I should increase her dosage. We had our first pink today. :( The weather changed here yesterday and I think she might have a little cold (gunk in her eye and sneezing a few times). I don't know if that would effect her numbers. Thanks so much for checking her out!

18. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I think it would be a good idea - maybe your fat one or 1.25 for both shots. Just a cold can impact their numbers, upward.

19. frizzball55

frizzball55 Member

Thank you Sue!! She was 216 @+5, with basically one more drop. I think I'll give her the fat one tonight (if her number calls for it), and see how it goes. Thanks for your help!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.