Dosing Help

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Cindy Lamy, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy Lamy

Cindy Lamy Member

Hello, I was finally able to do a curve test on Butter yesterday. He was very cooperative and with help from my 10 year old daughter it was fairly easy. I am hoping now someone can help me with his Prozinc dose as I am not sure what to give him and my vet who is very nice seems clueless as why his numbers aren't dropping. He started out on 2 units of Prozinc twice a day on May 12th. After 4 weeks and no change I brought him back to the vet where he increased his dose to 3 units twice a day. After 2 weeks he went to 4 units twice a day then up to 5 units twice a day. During the last few weeks of that time I was testing Butter once a day and he was still nibbling on dry food (Hills W/D). HIs numbers were still way high 450-550 and sometimes the meter just read HIGH. Well after finding this group I decided to take matters into my own hands and I slowly removed the dry food and began giving him only wet. He eats about 4 cans of 3oz Fancy Feast each day. I also lowered his dose to 3 units since I pulled the dry food. I need help on the dosing. Here is the spreadsheet from yesterdays curve. Any help/advice is most appreciated. Cindy & Butter
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRDYcIBGH_UIBkC7oUvpWd3ik-x65frQHOFDslfCFZnufgC7tiC4PsX4U_RHz301BChS8yj2MwMxHEn/pubhtml

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Great job on the curve, Cindy!
    Did you have any other BG data on Butter's? How long has new diet (just wet food) been in place? :bookworm:

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Cindy, and welcome!

That is a textbook perfect curve! The numbers aren't where you want to see them yet, but looking at the movement from the PS to the nadir shows that the response to the insulin was great.

Since you've been reading on here, I'm sure this won't come as a surprise, but I would encourage you to get a test before every shot and add it to your spreadsheet, and then as much as you are able, try to grab tests in the +5 to +7 range. Not every hour in there, but one day grab a +5, one day a +6, etc. In the evening, get the PS test, and then another test right before you turn off the lights for bed so we can get some idea what is happening at night since many cats respond differently during the AM and PM cycle.

Once we have a few more days of data, we can start to make some suggestions about dose. This is a great start though!

Regarding the food, great job making the transition. Are you feeding the FF Classic (pate), or something else? How much is Butter supposed to weigh?

4. Cindy Lamy

Cindy Lamy Member

I just started the spreadsheet yesterday so I will continue to test and add it. He has been on only wet for about 1 week now.

5. Cindy Lamy

Cindy Lamy Member

That sounds great. I will test today PS and around +5. Then I will get the evening PS test. Ususally his evening PS is right before we go to bed though. I am on an 11:30am first dose to 11:30pm second dose schedule.
    He is eating Fancy Feast Classics all pate style. He seems to like them and I try to add a bit of warm water to each serving as I read that it is good to help with constipation. I don't think he is but I figured it coudn't hurt. Thank you for your help. I am on a mission to get my boy better. I need to go out of town in October to bury my inlaws ashes in a ceremony and I'm hoping to have his dose regulated as I have a friend who's daughter is in vet school and she is going to come and give him his shots.

6. Djamila

What time do you wake up in the morning? I'm wondering if a First-thing-out-of-bed test might work? How many hours do you wake up before the AMPS?

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Is the 11:30/23:30 the schedule that you need to be on or was it because Vet started it at those times? We'll be glad to help you and your boy feel better about this :)
    Let's also get some more information in your Signature: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

As Djamila stated, that curve is pretty textbook clear ;) so start focusing on the AMPS and PMPS at minimum and as often as you can make sure he has not eaten 2 hours prior to this test so the number is not food influenced :)

8. Djamila

Adding extra water is great for a lot of things: the better hydrated they are, the easier it is to get blood, it helps with constipation, helps with kidney function, alertness, and on and on. So great job on that!

I'm sorry to hear about your in-laws. October gives lots of time to get things figured out before you need to leave.

Cindy Lamy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.