? Dosing & Higher BG

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KJC80, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJC80

KJC80 Member

So, Toby has been in the 300s for about a week after normally being in the 200s. A few weeks ago, he had a bout of vomiting and we went to the vet. He got B12, Cerenia, and Convenia shots and was lethargic for a couple of days... I'm never letting him have Convenia again! He lost his appetite, so I syringe fed him for about a week, but I know he wasn't getting enough calories daily. I reduced his dosage a bit per my vet and worked him back up to 1.25U of Vetsulin. After about a week of not eating, he's been eating ravenously, mostly Purina DM dry & Dr. Elsey's mix. I'm trying to slowly convert him over to all Dr. Elsey's & Fancy Feast pates. I increased his dose to 1.5U because his BG has been higher with his increased appetite, but haven't seen much progress. I don't have a lot of mid-cycle readings, but I'm going to try to get more today at this dosage. It seems he stays in the 200s with 1.5, although I was getting him into the 100s at a lower dosage.

My question is is this dose too high or too low? I've seen that sometimes too much insulin looks like too little, so I was concerned. We're also 40+ days into the bottle of Vetsulin and I did leave it out once overnight. I'm wondering if it's just lost its effectiveness and I need to go get a new bottle. Any advice would be appreciated! I don't know whether to increase his dose next week or drop it down. There should be a link to his spreadsheet in my signature.

2. KJC80

KJC80 Member

Same dilemma today. Since his dry mix is increasingly low carb, I feel like I may be giving him too much insulin? I'm going to drop it today and see what happens.

3. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

Toby has some nice PM numbers. Sure hope you can get those daytime yellows to come down. o_O I'm having the same thoughts about Lucy right now. Sure is frustrating.

4. KJC80

KJC80 Member

So frustrating! I feel like he was doing well before the bout of vomiting. I reduced his dose this morning, which seems to have been a mistake. He was pretty much the same at +5. I'm going to go get a new bottle of Vetsulin tomorrow and see if that helps. This one just may have lost its effectiveness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.