Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashley arnold

Ashley arnold New Member

So argon went about 36 hours no shot (skipped 3 shots) and yesterday his numbers started to climb and I gave him some to see if he would regulate on his own he went to over 200 last night so I gave a 1/2 unit last night and it is looking like it brought it down I checked him this morning before shot time and he was just over 200 so I gave 1/2 unit again have I don't the right thing or should I be giving him more?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ashley! Happy to see you over here from the Facebook group!

With Lantus, it takes 5-7 days before you'll see how well the dose is working (since Aragon hasn't had any insulin for awhile, I'm treating him like he is new to Lantus)

I'd hold the .5 unit dose for at least 5 days (unless he drops below 50 at any time) and then let's see how he's doing.

On your spreadsheet, 1/2 unit would be noted as .5 (but that's no big deal either)

Take some time when you can and read the sticky on our dosing methods....Tight Regulation and Start Low Go Slow.....the method you choose will effect the advice we give you going forward.

TR gives the best chance at remission, but requires a little more frequent testing. Once the "loading time" is over (that 5-7 days) you can adjust the dose as often as every 6 cycles if it's not getting you where you want. Reductions in dose are earned when they drop below 50

On SLGS, you hold each dose for 7 days before increasing and reductions are earned when they drop below 90. Sometimes this can leave kitty in higher numbers than we'd like but we've had some kitties go OTJ on SLGS too

You can always change the dosing method you choose later if you want. You're not "locked in" or anything.

3. Ashley arnold

Ashley arnold New Member

I will read the info on the two methods as soon as I can but the TR method sounds right now what I want to do if I can help him to go OTJ I want to do that

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  4. Chris & China (GA)

@Ashley arnold

I remember from the Facebook group that Aragon dropped very low but you don't have those numbers on your spreadsheet.

Can you go back through your meter and add those tests? Or at least tell us when he started on Lantus and how long he was on it before you stopped due to the lower numbers.

5. Ashley arnold

Ashley arnold New Member

I had only started testing that day he went low (I had no meter he was asking weird so I borrowed one from my aunt) he had been on the 3 unit dose for 2 weeks at that point

6. Chris & China (GA)

OK....I'd hold the .5 dose for at least 5 days for now and try to get at least 4 tests per day in (more if you can)….the 2 "Pre-shot" tests and 1 mid-cycle on the AM dose and at least a "before bed" test on the PM cycle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.