Down to 96 this morning!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Myra Kotrla, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myra Kotrla

Myra Kotrla New Member

Angel is doing good I think. But am also nervous as we edge to the numbers we want as of course there's that chance of going too low. In low 100's for a couple of days and now 96 - but will just do the shot, trying for the smallest drop I can manage then watch her close. Guess it will be another ear stickin' day Angel!!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Angel is looking great! Those first green numbers always get the adrenal flowing and even more so when it's that first green pre-shot. Lantus is great at holding numbers so hopefully you'll have a lovely dark green cycle today. :D

3. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

She's doing lovely! Yes, sometimes I've needed nerves of steel, but those dark green numbers are what you want to see. Just hold the dose and keep an eye on her - I haven't seen any sudden drops, looking back on her SS, so I see no cause for panic. I see you're using a human meter, so those numbers are still far from worrisome. Just steady as she goes!

4. Myra Kotrla

Myra Kotrla New Member

91 this morning. And I am testing her usually now four times a day, just cause I Have to LOL. Poor Angel.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

Angel is looking terrific! :D

6. AngelKitty2019

AngelKitty2019 Member

So I'm curious. When do you stop the insulin and try a trial? All numbers below 90? 100?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Reason for edit: fix autocorrect
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

Angel's SS is looking very very good! Ideally you'd like to see green pre-shots but low blues are fine. Normal BG range is 50 to 120 on human meter and we like to see numbers between 50 and 80 for a strong remission but again anything up to 120 occasionally is Ok.
    Technically since you are following SLGS, Angel earned a reduction on the 27th of Feb, another on the 28th and a third on the 5th of Mar.
    You are currently giving 0.15u. How are you measuring that dose? Are you using calipers or using the hold in the plunger and let go to suck up just a drop? Just wondering if you have room to drop Angel's dose any further. She very close to being ready for an OTJ trial.

8. AngelKitty2019

AngelKitty2019 Member

I think mom is morphing into TR! She did get the dose reduction on 2/27. I was measuring the .15 on calipers, she's using the drop method (1 drop). Can't reduce below that other than to skip... I don't think. and I did think the goal was to get her into 'normal' numbers before quitting?

9. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hmm... How would you do this? I'm so curious.

10. MrWorfMen's Mom

You hold in the plunger as tightly as you possibly can. Insert the needle into the pen (vial) while still holding the plunger tightly and let go once the needle is in the fluid. Then withdraw the needle. All you are doing is allowing the vacuum to pull a tiny bit of insulin out of the pen (vial). There will be insulin in the needle and possibly the hub but you won't actually see it in the barrel. We call it a drop for lack of a better name.
    When injecting into the cat, inject as usual but continue to hold the plunger in when withdrawing the needle from kitty.

11. Myra Kotrla

Myra Kotrla New Member

well I did try that a few times, the hold in and let go to suck some back. I was not being reliable about it. need to practise more and yeah it is a wee small drop then<G>. Although I wonder if sometimes I get closer to that than I know.

12. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Very interesting!

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

I've seen other cats on SLGS that were getting blue pre-shots and had no place to go with the reductions. You always have the option of starting an OTJ trial and see if her numbers stay the same or come down even more. It may be that Angel does still need a little insulin support or she really is ready to try going without. With SLGS, when numbers get this low, it is somewhat like morphing into TR but you don't want to push things too far if you are not able to test enough keep her safe while waiting for numbers to drop lower (below 50). It's an interesting conundrum and one for which there is no right or wrong answer in my opinion.
    HERE are the OTJ trial instructions.

AngelKitty2019 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.