? Dropping very quickly ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by S&Boo, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S&Boo

S&Boo Member

Boo recently had a little brush in with DKA. I've been watching him closely, testing his pee, and smelling his breath for any signs of it returning. So far, there have been no indications of it returning. However, today his blood sugar has dropped below 100 with no signs of DKA (thus far). I've been meaning to start lowering his insulin if I can to see if that helps him be more regular. I thought today would be as good a day as any to start. I lowered him 0.25 unit.

I decided to check his blood much earlier than normal to see if it helped, and it's even lower than before. I fed him a little and gave him water after checking. I'm waiting for him to pee so I can check ketones.

I would also note that while researching DKA on this site, I learned that I was injecting him all wrong. Prior to his DKA, I was administering insulin relatively close to the scruff. I switched to the stomach as prescribed.

Questions:
    Could the change in position have such a substantial effect? Should I switch back to the scruff? Lower the dose? Feed more?
    And what do I do in the interim? How do I keep him from dropping like a rock?

2. S&Boo

S&Boo Member

Update: I checked him again, and he's still slightly lower. I read a little on hypoglycemia (still in the midst of reading it). He's supposedly not low enough to be hypoglycemic (@ 70 BG). Is now the time to administer a little syrup?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You don't need syrup yet. Feed him a small snack of his regular low carb wet food and test again in 30 minutes. Is he eating only low carb wet food?

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I see that his evening preshot number was a lot lower than it's been to date. In future it's best if you post here or on the Lantus forum for advice before giving insulin on your first much lower number. I suggest you post there now. It's a large forum with a lot of experienced people to help you.

5. S&Boo

S&Boo Member

He's eating 100% raw. Although, I've thought about switching to low carb wet. But not back to dry.

Thanks for the Lantus suggestion. Heading there now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.