Dry food emergency :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi, Jun 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

I did it again :( I won’t get my Dr Esleys until Tuesday and cats are at the bottom of their kibble. I’m so mad at myself! I’m just finally getting those numbers down. The leftover food I still have is Taste of Wild and last time I did this it spiked Gretchen’s BG right back up to black. Please don’t advise not to leave it out...I have 2 non cats and I have to leave dry out.

What my question is, so that I don’t have to do the figuring, is there a store brand that is lower I could pick up for a couple days?? The Taste of Wild is about 43% :mad: I can’t do the “math” formula thing. I SUCK plus let alone I can’t even SEE the numbers on those bags. So I thought I’d ask here...

Help?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/assets/cat-food-comparison-chart.pdf

Really you can leave extra wet out. You could put an ice cube in it. Here’s a chart with dry food comparisons

3. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

They would gobble it up and get sick. Plus that would be a lot of wet to leave :(. I’m so angry with myself! I’ll try feeding them all a can this am and see if it slows their consumption of what is left

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You should try switching all your cats to a lower carb dry if you can. All my cats get ff in the morning and night... my diabetic gets about 1/8 - 1/4 of a cup of young again zero carb as treats a day. For the other five I leave out about 3/4 cup of epigen 90 per day which is about 5% carb. There's usually a little left by the end of the day. Epigen 90 is available in pet stores or chewy.com. I always order it on chewy.... They deliver in 1-2 days. It's pricy at $20/5lb bag, but they don't eat a lot at a time so it lasts a few weeks.

5. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Oh they are. For sure! :) it makes me so angry what the pet food industry is putting in their food!!! Mine went through the Dr Esleys substantially faster than the young again. But the young again made their poop smell sooo bad. I never had problems with it being runny...

I might try putting the taste of wild up on the counter, just until food arrives. When Gretchen had neuropathy (which has gone away btw!) she couldn’t jump on the counter and I don’t think she’ll try...

6. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

petsmart carries Only natural pet products now. their orange and white bag poultry kibbles are 18% dry matter carbs (assuming the ash content is 3% like most dry foods).
    my cats use to love it and it is one of the better brands overall IMO.

edit: forgot to mention not all stores carry the cat dry food, so check online to see if your store has it first. if they don't, most have Natures Variety Ultimate Protein that is 12% carb supposably (have not done the math on that one).

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.