Dry food for nighttime?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CarolandTigger, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolandTigger

CarolandTigger Member

Is there any dry food that would be ok to put out at night so when Tigger awakes while we're sleeping he doesn't come to our door and meow and scratch the door endlessly? This only happens when we're camping/traveling in our RV which we are currently doing. At home, he sleeps in my sewing room with the door shut so it doesn't bother us. But this is destroying our sleep right now..yet we're very concerned for him, so I don't mind...for the most part. He doesn't do this during the day..only night. The other night we gave him 1/2 can (Friskies classic) at 11pm hoping to tide him over till morning. Hubby got up at 1am after the incessant door scratching/meowing and gave him another 1/2 can. I did the same thing at 3am not realizing he'd done it at 1! Then more at 6, etc. needless to say, we over fed him. He's still ravenous in the morning..you'd think we were starving him. I don't have a chart up for him...he's on 3u Vetsulin, and is very consistent in his readings...usually 300-400 in morning and night, drops to 150-250 during the day. Has never been under 100. In his prediabetic days, he lived on science Diet dry food. If he could just have kibble in his bowl all night, it might solve the problem, but I know dry is bad for them.?? Any advice??

2. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

it sounds like you could really use a timed feeder. I have a two slot one that helped with that.....
    the only flaw is that it doesn't make a noise when it opens....

since Tiggers numbers are still up there ( not below 200), he really is hungry. With FD, their body isn't getting the nutrition it needs from the food.
    His cells are starving do he keeps asking for more. Unless you are in a hot climate, you can set up a feeder with a water moat around the food
    ( it keeps it fresher longer) and the feeder can take care of him in the wee hours.

I also would leave servings of freeze dried treats out for mine ( but she was having troubles with her foods) and I wanted her to have access to something just in case.

If you really want dry food back in the equation, there really only is one. www.youngagainpetfood.com
    the zero carb variety...
    they will send you a sample if you call them. The 8lb bag should last you a fairly long time. It seems expensive but it really isn't because
    it's so high protein that they don't need more than 2 Tablespoons a day. So you would be able to just give him 1 tablespoon if it's only at night.
    So if you do the math, it's really not more expensive.

The second dry option is Evo dry.... but it's more expensive than YA ( in my opinion)

Be very wary of all the other dry foods.... they make lots of claims.... but grain free does not mean carb free.
    Most of them are just continuing the damage that has already happened to his kidneys.
    read
    www.catinfo.org

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.