Dry food info?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ker95, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ker95

ker95 New Member

I thought *somewhere* i saw a posting that compared dry foods, but cannot for the life of me find it again.

We have one sugar baby (Peaches, who we're just starting to treat and this board has helped me keep my sanity as we have been dealing with it), and two civilians (see - I'm learning the jargon LOL).

Our 'dream' is to have all the cats eating the same food - may be impossible, but one can dream, right?!?! Locking cats away from each other for hours a day is uncool and difficult. Peaches barely tolerates the other two cats anyway, and every time they get freed from the bedroom/bathroom he acts like they're strangers who are trying to invade his space and steal his humans.

We have decided to go on something more healthy for the younger cats to try to help them as they mature. It *has* to be dry because they will be left alone every other weekend.

Vet has Peaches on dry Purina DM. He hates it. All the cats hate only being restricted to their allowed time to eat (freefeeding before).

Is there a dry alternative to Purina DM, especially one that is available from more than a vet?

And... calling the vet today - we don't like his number swings at ALL on this humulin (as you warned).

hohoho, and thank you!
    Marilyn

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

How about canned all the way, much better for all kitties, and every other weekend when you are away, leave out dry? Wellness and Evo are good dry foods but no matter how good the dry, canned is much better. Maybe they would consider the dry a treat, kitty crack, every other weekend?

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Here is the link to Janet and Binky's chart: http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm You can pick the dry chart. It looks like Evo is the lowest at 11%.

Of course, we would rather you would feed wet lo carb, at least during the week when you are home.

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Or use a timed feeder for the weekends when you are not home :smile: You can also ask a neighbor or friend to check in on the cats and make sure that the timed feeder(s) is working and has plenty of canned food.

5. SaraJaye

SaraJaye Member

I just bought one... it has five compartments and you set the timer so that a meal is fed on your preferred timetable. If you feed twice a day, the feeder would have you covered for 2 and a half days.... well, really three days, if you time your return to coincide with cat's mealtime.

6. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

we often have a neighbourhood girl come and feed twice a day, but when we had a more expensive pet sitter she would set the timed feeder and only come once a day....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.