? Dry food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tasha & Darwin, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

I am curious if anyone else feeds dry food? I completely understand the reasons not too (shoot, my dog is on a raw diet and has her own freezer!), BUT I am having a very hard time with getting Darwin on canned. I feel this week of trying has caused him to avoid any food I put in front of him.

He is now back on track with eating now, and is FINALLY, at least, eating the Young Again Zero carb food (it was hard to get him to even accept that!!)

I have tried countless types of canned, tuna, baby food, cooked chicken, raw food, liquid food, Parmesan cheese, FortiFlora, Nutritional Yeast...you name it. He is VERY finicky, and apparently would prefer to starve rather than eat anything that's not kibble!! I have also been letting him go the day between meals to build hunger, but I have to cave and give some dry or I can't give insulin.

I am not meaning that I won't get him to canned (I would REALLY prefer to), but I really want to try and get him regulated on Young Again Zero and his insulin, and then have a go (longterm) at getting him to canned.

Does anyone else feed it? They say to free free it, but I don't really like the idea of that - I'd prefer to feed it in 2-3 small meals?

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I feed YAZ but I do not free feed it as they suggest. Pretty sure my boy would just eat it all :p. He gets between 1/8 and 3/16 cup after each wet food meal, twice a day :)

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  3. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I feel for you Tasha. I had the same problem with Murphy - with the exception that he would vomit after eating wet food - eventually, it worked out after I figured out I needed to find food without carrageenan or the gums. He still goes through periods where he will barely touch any wet food. I give him very small amounts o( 1 -2 tsp) of kibble - he wont' eat YAZC any longer, but he will eat Epigen90 and a new food from Dr. Elsey. It seems like a tiny bit of dry settles his stomach and then he will eat the wet.

Kris & Teasel and Tasha & Darwin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.