? dumb? injection question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ebuckley, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebuckley

ebuckley Member

It seems with my technique the injections probably tend to go under (not into) the subcutaneous tissue...like sub-q fluids that go in and under making the bulge that shifts around with gravity along the fascial planes. Is that ok?

Napa doesn't have much subcutaneous tissue to inject into especially now, not much of a fat layer. Watched a couple of videos and can't really tell if I am doing it wrong. I pull the neck scruff away from muscle and bone, expose a line of skin by parting the fur just below my fingers, and inject with needle parallel with her spine with a 1/2 inch needle (12.7mm). I have some 8mm needles but get fur shots with those (and they don't have 1/2 unit marks). I haven't had any problems going through the other side of the "tent."

(Also, am considering an alternative site to the scruff in case that is effecting absorption.)

2. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

There are no dumb questions nor dumb people at FDMB :)

Wherever you can lift the fur, you can inject the insulin. It doesn't have to be the nape. I used to lift fur from CJ's sides and poke there.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

Ellie, when Marshmallow was diagnosed as a sugarcat, I did a ton of research into feline diabetes. I read on several sites that there isn't a lot of blood flow in the neck scruff so it's better to shoot in the flank. That's where I shot Marsh. I don't know if that's totally true, but it's worth a shot (pun intended) to inject elsewhere and see if it helps.

Tucker&Me and Cat Ma like this.
  4. ebuckley

ebuckley Member

Thanks all. I intend to switch sites--also to prevent the problems that can arise from over injecting one spot. But if its the scruff or flank or where ever, it is ok to go all the way through the subcutaneous tissue? It seems like Lantus likes to be lodged in the fat layer. Tonight I tried to shoot a little "shallower" and it seemed to be ok. Was worried about fur shot but pretty sure I got it in. Left the needle in place after injecting and releasing the skin. Poor thing was very cranky and hungry all day. Her BG is still through the roof.

Hope Marshmellow is feeling better, granadilla. You've also had a rough week.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    granadilla likes this.
  5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

My vet told me I could inject Squallie anywhere from the scruff to the end of his ribcage, going about halfway down his body (height-wise) on either side. I never inject him in the same place twice in a row. Hope that helps!

6. ebuckley

ebuckley Member

Welp, I give us both the night off of testing last night (have lost so much sleep the last few nights). She tested 213 this amps! Don't know when or how low the nadair was :confused:. But soooooo happy to see something other than that ugly black :joyful:.

Could be coincidence, could have been the slight change in injection technique, don't know. I think I'll stick with the scruff and "shallower" injections a few more days. Then I go out of town and the pet sitters will probably also do the scruff since I think that is what they are used to. Home next Wednesday and I'll switch to a new spot.

granadilla likes this.
  7. pevsfreedom

pevsfreedom Well-Known Member

I prefer to do the flank/sides basically. Part the fur until you see the skin, lift it up as high as you can, where you can still clearly see the skin at the base of the 'tent', and gently put the needle in and shoot! :) I've never thought about the other things you brought up, I just find the skin and do my best Layne Staley impression.

granadilla likes this.
  8. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Good to see a lower number, @ebuckley. Looks like the shot went in that time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.