? Effects of post dental healing on BSL

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MamaMug, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Previously we were trying a few weeks OTJ by vet recommendation, but his levels were still trending a bit high for my taste and I think his pancreas could use a bit more support for now. We've started the drop technique as he's usually sitting in mid range blues and seems to be pretty sensitive to prozinc.

Gato had a pretty major dental last Tuesday, in which he had 12 teefies removed due to rampant resorption. This week has been an adjustment and he's finally getting a bit of a spring in his step, acting more playful today and progressively eating much better.

The reason the vet previously recommended going OTJ is that he felt the dental work was likely the last step to getting Gato diet regulated. I know that taking care of the infection and route cause of same can help lower his numbers, but are there any known/ consistent effects that surgery and healing can have on his levels? For example, some of his cycles seem to be a bit more flat than they were pre dental, the gap in nadir not being as great. I'm of mind that it could be either related to him healing, or a sign that his pancreas needs a little hand holding from the insulin before we can really consider him diet regulated.

2. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Sorry your post got lost and no one responded. I believe there is an adjustment period until healing is done. Even though extractions are done his mouth needs to heal and that is a lot of teeth removed, poor kitty:(, there will still be inflammation as he is healing, so inflammation could be affecting sugar numbers a little until fully recovered from dental.

3. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

No worries @Julie and Honey, I know the answer to this question probably falls flatly in the ECID category, I'm just curious as to others' experience. I'm so eager for the mouth healing to be complete, he was so grumpy for about a week after the procedure and it had me feeling like an awful mama!

Today though, he's already running around high on the nip and playing with more tenacity than his younger brother! We have our checkup tomorrow morning and I'm eager to see what his mouth looks like. I'm ashamed to admit but I haven't tried to look for fear of hurting him.

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.