? Effects of Travel?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lauren & Comet, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren & Comet

Lauren & Comet Member

Hello all,

I may be going out of town this weekend. Comet was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. I would be driving 8ish hours and staying somewhere she has never been before. I normally ace her when I travel my 6 hrs to TN.

Would the stress possibly set us back in treatment? Could she possibly be better off boarding at the vet?

I know no one can give definitive answers as all sugar babies are different but I am curious to know your experiences.

TIA!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Lots of us have just packed our cats up and taken them with us!!

With boarding, they're still going to be under stress, and we've seen too many times when the vet (or boarding facility) doesn't follow our directions.....and most vets don't have 24 hour staffing, so your cat is alone from 5pm to 6am the next morning

Critter Mom and manxcat419 like this.
  3. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I agree with Chris - if you can take Comet with you, then take her. I have an excellent boarding place that I take Rosa to now, but I only found them after a disastrous experience where she was boarded with a vet in their medical boarding, given the wrong food, not given enough attention to prevent her being stressed (although she does demand a LOT of attention) and got much closer than I'd have liked to losing her diet-controlled status. If you can find somewhere good, then that works too, but it is trial and error to find anywhere that will follow your instructions to the letter. And there are very, very few places where I would board a cat still on insulin because almost everywhere will be closed overnight...the closest we could find to 24-hour care was one place that had staff in until 9 pm and then again from 7 am. That's a lot of hours for a cat on insulin to go unmonitored!

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree that if you can take her, do it.

If you have to board her, write out very detailed instructions and include that they must test before every shot with your meter. That way you can tell if they were following your instructions. You also will be able to see if being boarded affected her BG.

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I agree with other posters: if it's possible for Comet to accompany you, then I think that would be better - for both of you. It's early days in her treatment, too.

Even with the stress that may arise from the travel, she will have your reassuring presence to comfort her, and you'll have complete control over her diet and insulin.

An idea: it might be an idea to check out the vets in the area you're travelling to before you go, just in case anything unexpected crops up while you're away from home base. It might help you pre-identify the best vet(s) in the area.

Also, remember to keep Comet's insulin at the right temperature while you're travelling. Not sure what the climate will be like but if the insulin needs to be kept cool these pouches are ideal:

Frio insulin cooling pouch

Mogs

6. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

I packed Fern a few weeks ago in a carry-on and Flew with him. It was about 1.5 weeks after diagnosis. I will say it kind of set us back a bit because I was very conservative with upping doses due to the travel. But I was also pretty confident it wouldn't be too bad for him. I don't travel with him a lot but I have made two long distance moves with him and knew he did OK with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.