elvis ...i dont know

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by carose, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carose

carose Member

this am i tested elvis and his bg was 303 i gave him 2 units...honestly i was afraid to go lower...just got home from the vet and tested 2x...first with her meter his bg was 490 then with mine and bg was over 500...he is eating now. i will only give him 2 units and check in 2 houes if he doesnt seem to lower can i give him more...

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Remember that numbers at the vet are often higher than they would be at home, due to stress with the noises, smells etc.

No, you don't want to give him more insulin in the middle of the cycle. Be patient. Take a +4 and +5 number. I will bet that it goes down.

3. carose

carose Member

he was tested at home..the vet gave her meter to use for the weekend...if his number do not go down can i give him more insulin...we are worried that he needs more than 2 units.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I guess I misunderstood. I thought you got the numbers at the vet. Still, if they were taken right after you got home, I would just throw them out and start over. (Vet/travel stress) Give him time to chill and take another test.

NO, you should not give extra insulin during the cycle. That would really throw things off and could be dangerous. Remember it is better to be high for a day than low for a minute. Give the lower dose a change to work, at home with no stress. The higher dose brought him down too low, and then back up too high. If you give the new amount for a couple days and see consistently higher readings than before, then you may get different advice.

Did you talk to the vet about a different insulin?

5. carose

carose Member

she is looking into pzi but i am not sure if can afford it....

6. carose

carose Member

i know i should not have done this but i just tested elvis again...before eating with my ceter his bg was 526 now 1 hour after eating his bg was 507...i think i has a bad read...i gave him 2 units and i iwll check in a few hours...and i just weighed him,,the last time i weighed him he was 9 lbs 2 weeks ago now he is 11.6 lbs

7. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Please mark on SS the units you're giving. Please do not give Elvis more insulin! You need to get numbers at +2 +4 +6 +8. You really do not know his nadir. His lowest point. Elvis's numbers will be HIGHER if you just got home from the vet and then tested him. Cats get STRESSED out, so their numbers will be higher. Please do NOT think he needs more insulin if you gave him 2 units already. You need to be CONSTISTENT in order to see any changes. if you keep switching things around, you will only get crazy numbers and its not good for Elvis.

8. Michelle & Prudence

That 94 last night makes we worried about what Elvis's +4 or +5 number was??? 2 units maybe too much for him if his nadir is too low? you don't know his nadir.

9. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

So he has gotten four units total in the past hour?

10. carose

carose Member

i tested elvis at home...i went to the vets after work and brought home her machine..i gave 2 ubits at 6 pm problem with my intrnet tonite..i will check at 8

11. Michelle & Prudence

please check at 8pm which will be +2 - You needs numbers at 9pm, 10pm etc depending what his bg. You need to keep testing tonight to find his lowest point. Since you're not home during the day. You really need to get these number this evening. We need to see what dose needs to be given tomorrow morning. You can not go by his preshot number to determine his dose. that's why the nadir is so IMPORTANT. please update SS too.

12. carose

carose Member

8 pm bg 303

13. Michelle & Prudence

Which meter are you using? How does Elvis seem to be acting... sleeping a lot etc?

14. carose

carose Member

the test at 8 i used my meter accucheck...he is sleeping right now...but he used to sleep at this time before he got sick (halle is sleeping too)....but i also have a question...for the past week elvis has been waking us up at about 4 am because he is so hungary (remember we left food out all the time) is it ok to let him have about 2 tablespoons of food at about 9 pm..i know he is hungary 'cause when i feed halle he went right after her food...

15. carose

carose Member

tested at 9pm 317 but he ate a little of halle's food...i will try again to test ay 10 but he is getting mad at me...

16. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Absolutely. Unregulated diabetics do not process food well, and can be literally starving. Let him eat when he is hungry. It won't hurt him and when he is regulated, he will want less food.

17. Michelle & Prudence

please leave food out for Elvis. all the time! just add some water to it so it doesn't get all dried up. please check his bg in about an hour, ok?

18. Michelle & Prudence

Just saw SS. What is Halle's food? is it high carb?

19. carose

carose Member

yes we are switching her from dry to wet the same as elvis...i will leave some out thanks

20. Michelle & Prudence

I am sorry if I come across a bit harsh... I do not mean to, but I am only trying to help you get through the beginning processes with Elvis. I have mentioned a few times and will repeat myself. I am not sure if you are reading every post reply or just that latest posting from people?

Being that Elvis got into Halle's food... this has messed with Elvis's bg readings. This just made you back track another day. You will not know his true bg effects for 2.0 units.

You really need to find his lowest point. I can not stress that enough. Being that he was stressed for this PMPS tonight. You have no idea what his true PMPS, which I am afraid 2.0 units today during the day made him rebound - meaning he went to low.

Being consistent =
    1. No other type of foods for Elvis. This part is a challenge, but in order to get his dose right... you need to be on top of this.
    2. Keep shot time the same AM & PM

If you are NOT going to test the rest of the evening... please consider 1.8 units for the morning. I'd rather Elvis be on 1 unit and start all over.... but that's me.

Remember to leave his canned food out tomorrow. Add some water to it too.

21. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

High carb food can cause high Blood sugar

Too much insulin can cause high blood sugar from Simogyi rebound (not sure on spelling)

I would also like to see you lower the dose and see how he does on 1 unit BID.

Some cats do not need much -- Tiggy only gets 0.25 units twice per day. If he got 2 units, he would be bouncing really low and high. --- and since we don't test every minute -- we never see the LOW point.

That is why it is important to test at different times during the 12 hour cycle.

22. Michelle & Prudence

I just thought I'd pass this to you. Just realized if Elvis is getting stressed because it's hard to test him. you're numbers will be higher too, so let us know what you're doing and maybe some other folks can pass along what worked for them. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.