Emmy- Several Questions, Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Brittney, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brittney

Brittney Member

Hi Everyone,

Emmy has recently started insulin (a week and a half ago). We started with Lantus 1U/2xday and her spot readings were around 150 after three days. Her back legs got Neuropathy and the vet wanted to take a more aggressive approach so we started 2u/2xday. It's been 7 days since we started the 2u. Emmy has been "fine" I've gotten good at giving the injections but I cannot test her blood without my husband's help (one of us holds her while the other tests). He came home last night and we tested her for the first time after 6 days on 2u/2xday and her reading was 36. yes, 36. I am using the reli-on human monitor from Walmart that a lot of you use as well. at 36 Emmy wasn't showing any signs of Hypo. She has been a LITTLE bit more lethargic than normal but I assumed this would happen when starting the insulin anyway. My Vet thinks that my monitor is wrong. She is telling me I need the alphatrak because with a reading of 36 there is "no way, I wouldn't see serious signs of hypo."

1) Has anyone else had problem with accurate reading on the relion? The Alpha is so expensive I just can't afford it after already buying the relion and all the strips and lancets etc.

2) I have the lantus PEN, we keep it in the fridge, it's my understanding that the insulin has to stay refrigerated? I need to take Emmy and her insulin and her syringes home for Thanksgiving. We will be flying from LAX to Seattle (Approx 5 hours door to door). Does anyone have advice for flying with the insulin and syringes (how to keep the insulin cold and can I even carry on syringes?)

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Human meters seem to read lower that actual/pet meter read BGs. Thus, it is not that unexpected that Emmy did not show any symptoms of a hypo. I have measures preshot BGs with some of cats in the 40's and maybe the 30's too.
    I would not give insulin with a BG of 36. I would also reduce the dose back down to one unit twice daily.
    YOu said " her spot readings were around 150 after three days". When were those spot reading taken with respect to the insulin shot?
    What are you feeding? Have you changed her diet?
    Yes, the pens should be kept cold. I would get a little cooler and some freezer packs. Those are little bags things that yo freeze and they keep food cold in a cooler. Ask you vet, they may have some to give you since they come with some meds that the vets receives.
    I would not expect any problems with insulin syringes and insulin pen

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Look into these Frio insulin cooling cases....they're great! Also, here's the info you're looking for regarding flying with insulin/syringes

I would believe the 36....China's been as low as 22 with NO symptoms other than being hungry so your vet is wrong about seeing signs of a hypo. The 36 also tells you you're dose is too high!!

We never do increases in whole units.....they should be done in .25 unit increments so you don't bypass what could be a "perfect dose" for your cat as well as keeping them safe. Insulin is a very powerful hormone and it's not good advice from your vet to double the dose like that

If Emmy was getting down to 150's on the 1 unit dose, the next dose you should have tried is 1.25....Not 2U

If your cat has neuropathy, I'd start her on some Zobaline for cats.....It can take several months in some cases, but it can really help reverse the symptoms of neuropathy. It's tasteless...you just crush the pills and add to food.

Here's a great video on just how well Zobaline can work!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have one of the Frio cooling cases, they're very handy and work well!

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Another Frio fan here; they're great.

Mogs

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I always got a Health Certificate from my vet before trips (they need to be done within 10 days of flying) and at the same time I had my vet write a note stating that my cat must travel with insulin and syringes with him. The note was so I could keep all his supplies in my carry on, and my checked bag would be my stuff. That way if my checked bag got delayed somewhere, I would still have what I need for my cat.
    I would have him micro-chipped, if he isn't already. I would have him in a snug fitting harness (only two fingers can get between the cat and harness) and leash on him at all times while he is between the two houses. I used a completely sealed hard plastic ice pack and put in a small box and I wrapped my insulin pen in newspaper or plastic bubble wrap and then placed it in the box. The security people prefer that you take the ice pack out for them to see, or else they may see it and then go digging through your carry on until they find it. I was told by the security people that as long as it was completely frozen, and sealed, it was okay to bring. J.D. flew with me from NJ to CA and back 16 times. I did not give him his insulin dose the cycle before the flights as it as about 12 hours from house to house for me, and hard to test him while on the plane. I did test him before boarding the plane (usually in airport bathroom) and as soon as we were in the car (with all the doors and windows shut) when we got off the plane. I had low carb and high carb canned food and a plastic spoon in my jacket pockets just in case, and a baggie full of low carb treats that I could give him a few every now and then to ease the boredom for him of the long flight. I also lined his soft carrier with about 4 puppy pee pads, and had a gallon sized zip lock baggie with me in case he soiled a pee pad, I could just pull that one out and seal it in the baggy. A small bottle of Fabreeze could come in useful as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.