End of my rope

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KelleyAnn, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KelleyAnn

KelleyAnn New Member

I've struggled with feline diabetes for 5 years. My vet discourages home testing, and I find it so difficult to try to get a blood sample from him; it's torture for him. So after our recent glucose curve test, he was labeled somewhere between "regulated" and "poorly regulated". I follow the vets instructions and still once or twice a year the cat gets some sort of expensive illness. I have two credit cards maxed out with vet bills only. I keep trying to get him well and nothing is working. The last time he went to the vet he had 5 teeth pulled and the vet cracked his jaw. My little guy can't catch a break. He always seems starving although I give him the recommended amount of food. He wakes me up several times each night begging for food. My other cat goes hungry often, she's a grazer and leaves food in her bowl so I have to put it away when she walks away from it or the diabetic cat will eat it in two seconds if I turn my back. He's on Lantus, which is nearly $400 a vile and we're almost out. I'm freaking out a little bit. I'm stuck between two hard spots- my money situation and how bad the cat really feels. I don't want to euthanize, I don't even think it's the right time. I have searched high and low for a new home, hoping another diabetic pet owner would take him on out of the kindness of their heart. Someone who knows how to give him better care than I can. I cry every day over this, it's something that has me deeply depressed and feeling backed into a corner. I'm so lost and confused on what to do with him, since he's such a sweetheart and he's got such a wonderful personality. Everyone here on this site have wonderful suggestions on how to make him healthier or things I could do differently but the fact of the matter is all of those suggestions cost me more money - something I just do not have. I'm out of funds. Maxed credit cards, including CareCredit. I barely make it every month just paying regular bills. I even started a "Go Fund Me" page. I guess I'm mostly venting. There's no answer here, no instant fix. I need someone to take him but it's so difficult to rehome a pet this old with such a large price tag. The overwhelming guilt and frustration shove me deeper into depression every day. It effects almost every area of my life.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Kelley Welcome to FDMB. I can feel your frustration and I just left you a note on the Health thread re: Kansas City Vet. I suggest you copy this post and start this thread on the Health board so we can start helping you. This is just a welcome mat and doesn't get a lot of traffic. Posting on Health will attract a lot of attention and get you lot of support and ideas to assist you and your kitty. It would be a shame to have to re-home your kitty unless absolutely necessary so let's see if we can offer you some support and suggestions to keep you together. :)

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

KelllyAnn, I'm so glad you found this forum... we are all here to help you. I feel your desperation and frustration. The folks here can give you advice and help you.

First I have found any vet that would even think of discouraging home testing is either 1) a control freak or 2) out to get your money because it forces you to bring your cat to the vet much more often.
    THe only way to keep your cat safe and get her regulated is by home testing. WE CAN WALK YOU THROUGH THAT, and help you to do it. I know you said you've tried in the past and had trouble. What do you mean by it's "torture" for him? If you poke the outer edge of the ear and not the vein, it should barely be felt. Perhaps you aren't aiming for the correct spot. Make sure the lancets are 28 gauge so they are big enough to get a drop. If you are ready to give testing another go we can help!!

You said he wakes you up several times per night (this may be part of your frustration.... sleep deprivation!). IT'S OK TO FEED in between shot times!!!! Most of us feed several times a day and night. Some even use automatic pet feeders to feed in the middle of the night. No need for ANY of your cats to go hungry!!!!! Just make sure the food that is down is low carb (most of us feed fancy feast classic or friskies pate), and that you don't feed two hours before preshot testing so the numbers won't be food influenced.

YOu can order Lantus MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper from Mark's Marine Pharmacy in Canada, and they will ship to the USA 5 Lantus pens for $175 should last a good two years if stored in the fridge: https://rxcanada4less.com/

Don't give up hope!

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Kelly, so sorry you are having troubles.

You received great tips already, fancy feast pate food, automatic feeder, Lantus from Marks (great price) it does take awhile to get it so order before you run out and you will need a script from vet.

If my vet cracked the jaw I'd be looking for another. They should not be charging you for treatment of that.

Diabetes can be manageable, stick around for the best help. You need to ask your questions and check in often.

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

6. KelleyAnn

KelleyAnn New Member

I posted in the Kansas City threat because that's where I live and I'm desperate. Maybe someone would see and want to help.

Home testing is difficult because he won't let me. He cries and squirms and if I get a drop of blood, the meter I was instructed to buy by this website and the vet says the drop isn't big enough and I have to try again. He bites me if I hold him down to poke his ear. I have read over and over, checked diagrams on where to poke and it never works. Believe me, I have tried and been walked through it. I had an automatic feeder which was very expensive and he somehow broke off the lid, ate everything inside of it and nearly died. I can't afford another auto feeder. I wake up every night and feed him a snack. I give him a snack when he begs. He comes back and begs for more no matter what. It's never enough for him.

My vet doesn't ask me to come in for blood tests, I've told him my financial situation and he's worked with me very well on it. He cuts me deals all the time. I bring in my meter and he uses that to cut my costs if I need to take him to the vet. He's currently searching for another home for him. It's really difficult to rehome an almost 13 year old sick cat. it's impossible it seems. I know everyone has a million solutions to help but what you guys don't get is that I have zero money left to spend. I have none. I can't spend any more. Literally, nothing. 2 maxed credit cards and all I have left is my cash, I barely make it every month to pay my bills. Every solution I'm given involves spending more money. Cutting costs by a little bit doesn't help because there is no money at all for me to spend. I have maybe two weeks of lantus left. I've borrowed money from my parents, they insist I just euthanize him as I've spent almost $10,000 on this cat in 5 years.

This website is probably the least helpful as I'm just told to spend more money and I can't. I know these are solutions to help cut costs but unless it's free, it's not cheap enough. I'm ruining my credit for an animal. I'm depressed. I cry literally very day over this. I wake up each day worried and miserable. I've been doing this for 5 years. I've considered suicide from the guilt alone. IT"S A CAT. That's how far down this rabbit hole I am. I can't escape.

7. KelleyAnn

KelleyAnn New Member

also I want to say I appreciate the time and effort everyone has put in to offer help and advice. I don't mean to sound so hopeless and angry. I don't expect for a pet to be "free" but I just can't afford the high costs of care for a sick pet anymore. Being single and self employed doesn't really make me a great financial candidate for such a scenario. I'm trying to remain positive but it's difficult.

I have tried fancy feast along with a grazer dry food... everything I put on his plate or bowl he inhales in less than 2 minutes and throws it up... then wants more. I have to watch him to make sure he eats slowly. I don't believe its my level of care or not trying all the things suggested because I have done everything I can. He's just so difficult. Not every story will be a success even if everything is done exactly right. This is one of those times it's just not going to work no matter what I do. The vet is even shaking his head, he's never seen such a difficult cat. Ugh. Sorry to seem to hopeless and upset.

8. JanetNJ

cats that are unregulated are ravenous because they can't utilize the nutrients in it well. If the BG can get under better control then the hunger will lessen. Get a big paper plate or aluminum pan and SPREAD his food out so he can't gulp it down so fast so he won't puke it right away.

Have you tried contacting the DCIN? (Diabetic Cats in Need)... they can sometimes help with financial problems and may be able to help if you choose to rehome.

9. Olive & Paula

Kelly, here is a site dedicated to helping diabetic cats. Anywhere from supplying insulin to help vet bills and rehoming is necessary. Sometimes they can find someone in your area to help you test. I've done it in my area for them.

https://facebook.com/DiabeticCatsInNeed/?__tn__=C

Send them a message and fill out the application for help. Really really they help people. Don't be afraid to contact them. They can only say no but I haven't heard that they ever had.

Sharon14 likes this.
  10. Olive & Paula

@KelleyAnn

Can you post link to your go fund me page? Not familiar with the site and can't find it.

11. KelleyAnn

KelleyAnn New Member

DCIN has so many hoops to jump through. I started reading all the things you have to do to qualify and I got overwhelmed. I'll give it another look.

The Go Fund Me page is probably expired now as it's been idle for over a year.

I do put his food on a paper plate so it takes longer for him to eat. My other cat won't eat if she can see the bottom of her bowl... I have learned to difference in sounds when they eat and can hear him getting into her food as fast as he can before I come running to pull it away. She has never learned to eat all her food at one sitting. She takes a few bites and walks away and I have to put it away. Sometimes when i have to feed them and leave right away I know he eats her food when I'm gone. I compensate by giving him a little less on his plate.

I'm exhausted of this. Can't stop crying.

12. Olive & Paula

Send them a message.

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I've sent a PM off to someone who might be able to help with DCIN. Keep your chin up! :bighug::bighug:

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

DCIN has helped many caregivers of diabetic cats. Please give it a try.
    If you should start another GO Fund Me page, please contact Robert and Echo, our board Administrator before posting the link. Any and all mention of fundraising efforts by or for individuals or groups must be approved by Robert prior to posting on the FDMB per board policy.

We have also created a list of links for financial aid and other possible resources for our members: Financial Help Links. The organizations are independent of and do not have any affiliation with the FDMB, but may offer some relief or help to qualified candidates.

Please check with the individual organization. Each organization has their own set of rules, requirements, and policies. Most organizations rely on donations to fund their financial aid programs. Be aware if funds are not available organizations may temporarily close financial aid programs.

Hope you're able to find an organization to help. :bighug:

15. Jill & Alex (GA)

Kelly Ann, after reading through your thread from a couple weeks ago, "I'm so frustrated!", as well as today's thread I was wondering... are you looking for assistance (insulin, supplies) or do you want to re-home Aysa?

Your response will give us a better idea of how we might help...

16. Julie and Eleanor (GA)

Julie and Eleanor (GA) Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean about the financial issues. I can't put any more money into Eleanor and I don't know what to do. It's devastating.

17. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@KelleyAnn ....the Compassionate Assistance Program with DCIN is actually pretty simple to qualify for and the form is really pretty easy...it just asks very basic questions

DCIN tries very hard to help when it can

They can't solve all your kitties problems, but they can sure help with the costs of things like insulin, syringes, etc.

And if you decide the only other choice you have is to try to rehome, they will help get the word out

18. Sheli and Kitter

Sheli and Kitter Member

Kelley Ann,

I am so sorry you are going through this. I understand about maxing cards and care credit as all my "kids" are and have been beloved animals, horse, dog, cats that don't have insurance and have gone through medical issues that often outweigh my checkbook., but I hope you are able to get help. I just found out my cat has diabetes and just found this site. They are so great. Truly a support group and full of good ideas and info. My vet prescribed lantus and it is was a shock, this is my first month using it. Have you thought of calling the company who makes the Lantus and asking if you can get it at discounted price? I am going to check into this. Hang in there!

Sheli and Kitter

19. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry but you'll just hear that they don't have any programs for cats

You might want to check out this post from Buying Insulin from Canadian Pharmacies

Marks Marine Pharmacy is great and it's where most of us are buying our Lantus from.....at 1/3rd the price, you can't beat it!

20. JanetNJ

Any update? Did you contact the DCIN?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.