End of the road for Poncho?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by christoph, Mar 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christoph

christoph Member

He's extremely weak lately esp today. He used his litter box, climbed out and still peeing, laid down in it on his stomach. He walks like his back legs are made of fragile glass and just barely holds him up. I tested for ketones Sat was neg, but today midrange -40-on the bottle scale. I called the mobile vet and scheduled for him to be put down later today, then got a dose of pain med from the other vet to help him until then.....and she told me the pancreas test came back as good.....it has healed. I'm waiting on my old vet in St Louis to call and give me some guidance.....if he thinks there is some hope I'll drive him there, 250 miles so he can try to curve him, which he was able to do with Poncho's sister in 1-2 days a few years ago, but she wasn't as sick. I just feel that I'm putting Poncho through unnecessary discomfort/pain. I'm wondering if the present vet was even doing the regulation attempt correctly. She said today that Poncho's got something else preventing regulation....suspect #1 Cushings. I'm hoping for one last glimmer of hope here.....just don't know what to do! Comments please?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Chris has a thread going on the Feline Health board. I've suggested that he ask for responses there (using 911) because more people might see it.

If you can help, please post on the thread in Feline Health. Here's the link:

ETA:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...o-ketones-moderate-range.134489/#post-1386995

(NB: I've put the updated thread name link above and deleted the link posted earlier - I don't know how to do strikethru.)

Reason for edit: Updated important link.
  3. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

I'd really consider changing to a long acting insulin if you decide you want to attempt to get this under control. His big issue is that #1 prozinc is not able to regulate him #2 It wears off quickly and he is without insulin for periods throughout the day. This is leading to the ketones. As your vet in St. Louis about it and if he agrees, if he could call in for a Rx. for lantus or levemir and you could start that quickly

Unfortunately, you both have to go through this again. Good thing is you know the drill. I'd see if the mobile vet could draw electrolytes too. That might contribute to the weakness.

I'd question the advice about Cushings or something blocking regulation. You're on a fairly small amount of insulin, and you have not attempted a switch. Also, your cats sugar does go down in response to the insulin, which means he's not completely resistant. That's a good thing. Some cats just can't get regulated well on one type, so you might have to try a different type.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.