enzymes made thing worse

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jtcatt, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

my 12 year old diabetic kitty still isn't eating. I had given her the enzyme supplement the vet recommended. for 2 days. less than 1/2 the dose. she got sick on the second day and was vomiting and wouldn't eat. last night I force fed her some water which helped a bit. today is day 3. she is drinking some but still not eating so I force fed her a little cat food mixed with water. she's keeping it down ok. still has diarrhea which is mostly water because that's all that's in her. she still has no interest in food. The enzymes messed her up bad. She has never gone 3 days without eating before and always shows interest in food. Not even kitty treats can get her interested. worried sick [​IMG] had to skip one shot cause she wasn't eating and was at 149. been giving 1/2 dose for 2 days cause she is in 300's.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Glad you skipped. What enzyme was she given?

3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tested for ketones? If not, please do it as soon as possible. I'm sorry she's not eating...keep syringe feeding her.

4. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

prozyme.

5. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

will next time she goes, if I catch it.

6. Yong & Maury GA

Definitely try to get the ketone test, if it's above trace you'll want to get her to ER vet immediately. I did some super quick reading about Prozyme and I don't think that's what caused the current issue. Still sending healing vines for you and Kitten [​IMG]:cat:

Also, a long handled spoon works very well for catching a sample :)

Jtcatt likes this.
  7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

I agree with Yong, I don't think this is an enzyme issue either. I'm REALLY concerned that she's ketonic and heading toward DKA...life threatening serious ER kind of stuff....critical within hours not days. If you can't get a ketone test very soon, is there an open vet that you could take her to for them to check that?

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree with Lyresa and Yong. It's very concerning that she won't eat...I think if you can't get a ketone test, you need to get her to the vet. Honestly, at this point, I'd call the closest ER vet and bring her in...I wouldn't wait.

9. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

At vet now. Prayers

10. Squeaky and KT (GA)

HUGS AND THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS!!!! Please keep us posted...I'll keep your condo up on my desktop....

MORE HUGS....

Jtcatt likes this.
  11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sending tons of good vines and hugs!!! Please let us know how it goes...:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jtcatt likes this.
  12. Yong & Maury GA

:bighug::bighug::bighug: Will be looking for updates.

Jtcatt likes this.
  13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Best wishes

Jtcatt likes this.
  14. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

Sending you positive thoughts and hugs!

Jtcatt likes this.
  15. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Prayers and Hugs for you and Kitten:bighug::bighug: please keep us updated when you can

Jtcatt likes this.
  16. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and healing vines. Please let us know how Kitten is doing! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jtcatt likes this.
  17. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

Said her bg was low even though she was 149 because there was no glucose in her urine? I don't understand that. Also inflammation in her stomach from her ibs. Gave subq fluid and I have to repeat for 2 days. Wants her to take prilosec and gave appetite stimulant. Also skip morning insulin shot in addition to the one she missed last night by being at vet.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So no ketones? Thank goodness! Did the vet mention why you should skip the morning shot? If she eats and is high enough, I probably would still give the shot, but I'd like to know why your vet was against it.

Hmmm...as for the low BG...not sure. I know that if there is glucose in the urine it does usually mean it's pretty high because you can detect it in blood before urine. 149 is actually pretty low for not having a shot (not dangerous by any means, just kind of surprising that it's under 200 with no shot).

Does she seem to feel better?

Jtcatt likes this.
  19. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

She doesn't want me to give it to her since she's low and not eating.

20. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Make sure you are home testing for ketones daily if you are not giving the insulin. Also, did they give you any appetite stimulants or nausea if she has signs of nausea?

Jtcatt likes this.
  21. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

I am testing for keytones. Clear so far. They gave her an appetite stimulant, something with an m. I've used on other cat before. She's not getting sick anymore so no nausea med but they want her to take prilosec. I'm having my regular vet go over the notes and treatment before I do anything but the subq fluids.

22. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Would it be mirtazapine? It can have odd effects on some cats- yowling, agitation, etc. It's good that ketones are negative.

Jtcatt likes this.
  23. Lisa and Smoky

I'll be taking my cat to the vet to have him checked for EPI. The test measures digestive enzymes in the blood. The most common treatment is to give enzymes to replace those his body is not making. Why did your vet prescribe them for her? Was it for IBD or something else? How is she doing today?

24. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Glucose doesn't spill into the urine until the renal threshold for that cat is reached....that's usually around 220-250. With a bg of 149, of course there was no urine spillage. I'm SO thankful you're testing for ketones and that she's negative. The recipe for ketones is not enough insulin+infection/inflammation and not eating. Right now she's bordering on all three. I anxiously await your own vet's thoughts....

HUGS!

Rachel, Jtcatt and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  25. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

That's it.

26. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

Yes, I am anxiously awaiting to hear from my vet also. Hate waiting. She's more active todayand talking today. She ate some kitty treats and is drinking water, even stole a few drinks if my sons lactaid. Lol I am taking this as a good sign and praying she eats on her own by tonight. If her bg is over 300 tonight I plan on giving her a **** tonight regardless. The dose will depend if she's eating or not.

StephG and Rachel like this.
  27. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

Thank you all so much. I couldn't have gotten through this without you. At least not without having a nervous breakdown. Love and hugs. I will update when I hear from my vet.

28. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We know how you feel! I look forward to hearing what your vet thinks too. I hope that she starts eating for you soon! It does sound good that she's out and interested in treats...could try sprinkling some treats on her food to help her get a bit of food in her. :)

Jtcatt and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  29. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

Will have to call vet again in morning since they never called back. She is drinking someand eating a bit. She threw up once after eating a but of dry food but is keeping a few licks of wet food and some treats down. She was at 430 so I gave her a 1/4 shot. Hoping I'm doing it right. Gave more subq at home. Don't have prilosec and am maxed out now. Going to ask if I can give zantac instead. We are both exhausted.

30. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

:bighug: all we can do is the best we can do. You are doing a great job carrying for her. Try getting her to eat anything you can. Tuna. Cold cuts. Chicken. Anything.

Jtcatt likes this.
  31. Lisa and Smoky

I believe they are used to treat the same symptoms so I would try it if it were my kitty. You have to do what you are comfortable with .

Jtcatt likes this.
  32. Yong & Maury GA

Famotidine (Pecid) and Ranitidine (Zantac) are generic names, so might be less expensive :). Hope you both get some well deserved rest :bighug:

Jtcatt likes this.
  33. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

Thank you everyone

34. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hope you got some rest! I know you're exhausted and that doesn't help you with worry. :bighug::bighug:

Jtcatt likes this.
  35. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

she's actually eating today. I am so relieved. Thank you all for all the great advice.

36. Squeaky and KT (GA)

WOOHOO!!!!! Big HUGE dancy hug!!!

Jtcatt likes this.
  37. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

I'm not giving her insulin today because her bg hasn't gone over 164. I think she's so full of subq fluids it's keeping it down for now. just happy she's eating and more playful today.

38. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

eating treats <3 2017-05-02 15.49.56.jpg

39. Kris & Teasel

If you have a moment would you mind updating your SS with any other numbers you have?

Jtcatt likes this.
  40. Kris & Teasel

Kitten's colouring is similar to my guy's but less grey. :)

Jtcatt likes this.
  41. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

Yes, it really is!!!!

42. Jtcatt

Jtcatt Member

I believe my spreadsheet is updated properly now.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.