Epic Fail

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KittyMomma74, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyMomma74

KittyMomma74 New Member

I really need some help...

This morning DH and I have been trying to get our first home BG reading on Chancie - but have been unsuccessful. We started off using the lowest level of the lancet, and slowly worked our way up - but the boy doesn't bleed. ohmygod_smile

We looked like Laverne & Shirley and if that wasn't bad enough, the rest of the "Peanut Gallery" was watching us and I swear we were getting dirty looks. Chancie was wrapped in a clean towel, I was holding him and DH was doing the "work". He tried the ears, his paws and nothing.

Does anyone have any tricks of the trade? I apologize for sounding so stupid, but I am not sure how else to do this.

2. Heather & Angel (GA)

Heather & Angel (GA) Member

Hi there,

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of home-testing in no time! It's always hardest in the beginning, but when you've been doing it for a while, the ears bleed more easily. But for now, you'll need to warm the ear first, to get the blood flowing. Just put a small handful of dry rice in a sock and heat in the microwave for 15-30 seconds, or until it's warm but not so hot it will burn Chance's ear. Then hold it on the ear to warm it.

I don't recommend using the lancing device, but rather to hold the lancet in your fingers and do the ear prick manually. This gives much greater control and I think it's less scary and less painful for the kitty. I used the finest gauge lancets for Angel, BD ultra-fine 33g, and she barely noticed the stick.

I was reading your earlier thread, about the high Lantus dosage. As we've seen here time and time again, this is one situation where the people on this board really do know better than most vets. On a positive note, at least your vet is up-to-date enough to know about using Lantus for diabetic cats -- but like Vicky said, starting at 2 U and then raising the dose based on a single reading is ridiculously irresponsible and dangerous. You're doing the best thing your possibly can by learning to test Chance's BG at home.

Good luck!

3. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Where are you....city/state.

Perhaps a home visit by an FDMB member for a demo ?

4. KittyMomma74

KittyMomma74 New Member

Thanks Heather - I will try it now without the lancing pen. Poor Chancie probably thought we were getting his ears pierced. (sorry I just try to use humor when I am nervous)

I am really grateful for all of the kind people on this board. Wish me luck!

5. Heather & Angel (GA)

Heather & Angel (GA) Member

Oh yeah, and one of the hardest parts -- try to stay calm, so Chance doesn't get the sense that test time is stressful! :?

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

OK one thing about the lancing pen/device that is important is the adjustment. I never freehand but do make adjustments on each device for my two. While a setting of '4' on the OneTouch device for Oliver is good, I put Shadoe's on a lesser setting.
    If I had the device at a 1 or even a 3 setting, I would not get any blood either.
    Be sure to try to adjust the setting on the device and you may have better luck.

I feel the device gives a speedier jab, quicker and lighter than anything I could do freehand, and Oliver sleeps through his pokes.

7. KittyMomma74

KittyMomma74 New Member

Re: Epic Fail - FINALLY got it!!

Okay we finally got a reading - 317. But I already gave him his insulin this morning because I didn't want to miss a dose and I wasn't sure how long it was going to take me to get a sucessful reading.

8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

that's OK, better late than never, but now you are getting better at it, he's getting more used to it, and his ears do 'learn' to bleed with time.

Do you have a spreadsheet for tracking his numbers now that you are testing?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

don't forget to give luvs and treats to the kitty, even if it's a failed attempt. kitty needs to know this is a good, special thing he's doing...regardless of results. before long you'll be doing it like a pro...under 30 seconds from start to finish!

10. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I just want to emphasize the warming part. You want to have the rice sock just shy of uncomfortably hot. I move it back and forth from underside to furred side of ear, if I've got it a bit too hot. The time required with vary with the cat and time of year. For example in the winter, Danny's ear would often be cold and need a full minute of warming. In the summer, it took maybe 30 seconds. You'll know it's long enough when you feel the ear turn very warm, and also with many cats, you can see the ear getting flushed pink.

And don't forget the treats. :)

good luck,
    laur

11. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Yes! Warm ears will cooperate the best. If the air conditioning is on, even in summer ears can be chilly.

And don't give up, it does it get easier. Lots and lots easier.

12. breayle and jake

breayle and jake Member

I had the worse time with my Jake when he was first diagnosed. He would refuse to sit still for me, let alone let me touch his ears! Now he actually sits down in front of me and lets me do it.

Here's a good video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8

I <3 Buddy the cat :D

I also have the tendency NOT to stick the strip in all the way into the meter until i get a blood drop, to save strips. And I also use a napkin folded up to protect my fingers, the guy in the video uses the lancet manually which I felt was very helpful at first. Jake and I use the device now :D

Anyways, hope it helps and good luck with kitty!

-Breayle and Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.