Espresso went to his own vet after a bad night

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ettevyva, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

I took Espresso back to his own vet because he had another bad night of breathing and swallowing. He found that Espresso had a severely sore swollen throat, and still dehydrated (from a week ago). That's why we couldn't get blood out of his ear. He REDUCED Espresso's insulin to 1 U instead of 2 U. He didn't agree that the previous vet said "2 U never killed any cat", and agrees with knowing what Espresso's blood sugar is. He tested today and it's 285 at the vet's office. He gave Espresso fluid since he was still dehydrated, and gave him a long term Convenia Injection for his bad infection. After getting fluid, Espresso is doing somewhat better. He still can't purr right, nor meow, but his vet said that will get somewhat better by Thursday with what they did today. He was really compassionate. He did not agree with the previous vet giving Espresso three squirts of my Albuterol inhaler. He said Espresso does not have asthma. He was willing to work with the Diabetes Cats in Need offer if the organization would fax him their requirements. I called excited that I found out what was wrong, and that there was still offered money left to help Espresso; but the organization said "We're done". I'm sorry if the previous vet made things so overwhelming that everyone is upset about it. I did change vets (as suggested on here) back to his own vet that has known him all his life. Should I be on this Forum? I'm not sure what to do now? We are in an extremely bad financial situation but I still need emotional support. The worse part is I didn't do anything wrong and don't understand !!!

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

You are fine to be on this site. I am glad that your vet was able to give you the answers you need and is working towards helping get Espresso better.

May I suggest you contact DCIN again and talk with them. It doesn't sound like them to just arbitrarily say "we're done".

Regarding the injection of Convenia, may I suggest you read this article about it - http://www.catinfo.org/?link=convenia

In the future, you may decide not to use it.

Glad you are reducing the insulin and hopefully once he is re-hydrated you will be able to get blood from his ear and be successful with home testing.

3. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

I just got off the phone with DCIN and was told "Dianna, We're Done!". All I could say was OK. :( He already got the Covenia injection There's nothing I can do about it now since he already got it; but thank you for the information. I'm so sad.

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I know he got the injection, but I wanted you to be aware of the issues surrounding it and to make sure he doesn't show any symptoms.

I don't know what to tell you regarding DCIN, I wasn't involved nor have any knowledge of what they were doing.

Maybe there is some other way you can get the money you need, what I don't know, but maybe now is the time to get creative. Such as making craft type items that you can sell locally, looking around your house for items you can sell - even books can be sold to used bookstores for money (or sometimes they just give store credit). I read some of your previous posts, but don't know your situation and all I can do is offer ideas.

Maybe you can work out a deal with the vet - offering to clean the place, clean the cages, answer phones in exchange for services? How about a payment plan with the vet?

hope this helps.

5. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

Thank You. I had already offered to clean floors, cages, whatever they need but they didn't need those services since they are fully staffed. The payment plans have high interest rates at any of the vets here. Without going into great detail, the situation is we are fighting homelessness due to three times of my having had cancers. We fall between the cracks for help. I'm a single mom. Thank You for your support and caring ! Your caring helps !

6. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Dianna,
    Would you have ANYTHING at all to pawn. I know no one likes to pawn their items off, but a friend of mine lost her job. She had no choice but to look around her home, long and hard...gather items and head to the pawn shop.
    She also contact a group garage sale in her area and made a good cent selling items that the pawn shop would not take: pictures, older t.v's, lamps. She even contacted a few friends to donate items that they no longer wanted for the group garage sale. She borrowed a table and hung out for 3 hours on a Saturday and Sunday. Just a few ideas. Also, something you might want to try is craigslist. I know they are pretty big time around here and I have bought and sold several items using them.

Sure hoping you can get a test today! And of course Expresso is on the mend. I know that will make your heart feel much better.

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Do you know why he has a swollen throat? What the cause is?

Sending healing vines and hugs!

8. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

I don't know for sure but it happened 3 days ago after he wouldn't swollow the drops and chocked on a chicken treat. I don't know if that caused the irritation or if it was already there. When the previous vet gave him 3 puffs of my Albuterol inhaler when he's not asthmatic, I don't know if that caused any irritation. I just don't know. He's been badly dehydrated for a week and no one addressed it after the emergency vet inserted liquid a week ago, until I got him to the vet who knows him and just got some more liquid inserted under his skin today. Thank You for the hugs and emotional support !

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Would you be willing to pm folks your vet's address and phone number so that if folks wanted to donate something towards the bill, the could call and do that?

10. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

BJM I just PM'd you. Hope I did it right. Is there a rule against posting a vets name on the forum? I'm still new at this. Thank you.
    Espresso's vet is very compassionate and caring. I was so glad when he found out what is going on with Espresso !

11. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

How is Espresso doing today?

12. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

Espresso comes out of his bed a little more today (a little more "normal" behavior since he got "hydrated".). He sat at the door and looked out for a little while (which use to be often before he got sick last week). He can't meow yet and his purr still sounds gurgled but not as bad. Espresso even "swatted" at my other cat as she walked by him a while ago (like he use to do playfully). I'm so relieved that my vet saw he was dehydrated and hydrated him, and that he knew about Espresso's throat. Espresso still can't meow yet, but the vet says he should improve by Thursday, and to let the vet know how Espresso is doing at the end of the week. Espresso started peeing some, again, and his diarrhea has improved. Thank You so much for caring and the emotional support !!!

13. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Dianna,
    Have you tried to home test again - now that he is hydrated, it should be easier? If so, what are his numbers? If you would like some help setting up his spreadsheet, give me a ring and we can muddle through it! ;-)

Glad to hear Expresso is acting more like himself. Hoping in a couple more days, he will be all better!

14. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

Testing tomorrow. The vet said to start testing Friday when Espresso had 3 days to recuperate, and to make sure he is eating well before injections during the 3 days, which he is. He's behaving more "normal". So far he lost his voice - just mouth moves with air sound coming out instead of the meow sound he use to have. The vet says that should get better. His purr is returning to normal. Hey, I figured out how to put an icon of him on here (taken about a year ago). Back then he was about 18 pounds, a large kitty and very muscular. He's down to about 12 pounds and lost most of his muscle, but gained a little bit of it back the past couple of days :) Bless everyone on here that is so supportive and is offering emotional support. It really helps.

15. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Sounds like progress - and what a handsome boy! Keep us updated!

16. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Dianna, Sounds like Espresso is doing a bit better. As Wendy said, keep us posted on how he is doing. We'll worry if we don't hear from you.

Sending plenty of healing vines and 'get that voice back' vines and a bus load of {{{{{hugs }}}}} for you.

17. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

Espresso is doing much better since my vet did what he did. I do have a few questions here. How often should I feed Espresso the low carb Fancy Feist since he is eating better, now? I don't want to over feed him for him to gain too much weight, but I don't want to NOT have food available for his blood sugar to go too low. (OR should I keep food out and available for him?) He has actually gained back some weight in his back side the past couple of days (where he had lost too much during the emergency). I'm urgently trying to find financial help since his emergency visits wiped out my finances already this month. I've checked online but most organizations have ceased help. I'm, also, looking for local people needing domestic help. I'm praying quite often !

18. Deb & Wink

One formula we use to calculate calorie needs for a cat is 15 calories per pound +70
    So a 12 pound cat would need 180+70 or 250 calories.
    Average can of Fancy Feast classic pate is 90 calories
    So 2.75 cans minimum.

Diabetic cats can need up to 50% more food. So I'm estimating up to 4 3 ounce cans a day or 2 5.5 ounce cans a day of like the Friskies pates.

19. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

20. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm praying for help for your finances too, and I hope lots of people want your domestic help :cool: .
    I am so glad Espresso is doing better. I was really worried about him before. I am just so glad that his own vet was able to help him and he is doing a lot better.

21. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

Thank You so much for caring! Espresso woke me up this morning with his meowing for food. He has his voice back!
    He's, also, gained some weight back. I'm still searching for financial help for vet bills. No one has responded, yet, for all the churches and places I've contacted trying to find domestic jobs. Thank You for the food information !

Dianna

22. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You might check your local Craigslist.

Also check Monster.com, and your state, county, and municipal/township government job listings.

Note: Some (not all) folks who have been through chemo have experienced some changes in mood control and cognitive ability. They call it 'chemo brain'. It may affect how others perceive the individual and it may affect decision-making abilities. If you believe this may be true for you, you may find it helpful to look for some ways to minimize the impact when job hunting.

23. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

How is he doing now? Are you home testing his blood now?

Wendy

24. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

Got a drop of blood tonight before Espresso ate. I've been TRYING to test each time and it wasn't happening but got enough to test. It was 306 before eating but he was upset after taking a pill, and then trying to test several times. He was pretty upset afterward. He threw up after eating :( And now he's hiding.

25. Deb & Wink

The home testing can take some time to get blood every time. Remember the suggestion, 3 tries and stop, successful or not, and always give Espresso a treat after.

Sorry to hear that Espresso barfed up his food. Did he eat some more food later?

26. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you got blood! lol
    good boy Expresso!
    hope he ate more later

27. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Keeping you and Espresso in my prayers.
    jeanne

28. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

I tried and tried but wasn't able to get blood today. I warmed and massaged the ear. I poked the vein and massaged it like before but no blood would come at all. Espresso got very upset after poking him (he flinched and tried to get a way). I tried for 10-15 minutes. The vet told me to bring him in Thursday and leave him so that he can take three blood samples throughout the day. :(
    The good news is Espresso is more "himself" lately since my own vets treatment last time. Still desperately trying to find some jobs to pay for these bills with nothing so far. Just an update.

29. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you absolutely have to, aim directly for the vein.

30. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

I poked directly in the vein. He jumped because it hurt. No blood even when continuously massaging and squeezing. Then I tried the other ear. Nothing until he was too upset after a period of time. I realized it's not just me when the previous vet tried several times and couldn't get blood after several tries. Finally after her 4th try she got a little. I've tried as much as 8 - 10 times with no results before. I'm hoping eventually for things to get better. This is very stressful.

31. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Remind me where you live.. Nearest city and state? Maybe we can find a member near you.

Also

What size lancet are you using?
    What do you use, tool or freehand?
    What do you put behind the ear to press against..?

Wendy

32. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

It's possible that he is still dehydrated and need more fluids. Ask your vet to show you how to do fluids at home. It is not difficult and is easier than having to take him in to see the vet constantly.

33. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Wishing we could get someone to come to you and soon. This has to get better for you. Hang in there!

34. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Wendy,
    Posted 7-28: Williamsburg, VA

35. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

I live in Williamsburg, Virginia. Espresso doesn't drink water anymore, so I add extra water to his wet food and he does drink that. It may be possible he is still somewhat dehydrated? He's beginning to lay in his bed more, again, instead of watching out the windows (like he had last week). He partially eats his food when I put it out, and knows the injection is coming so he's very squeamish about eating and quits eating if I'm near by. He's not handling these changes very well, either.
    What size lancet are you using? I don't know the sizes but I'm using the ones that came with the ReOn AND used ones that came with my own One Touch.
    What do you use, tool or freehand? Both and neither are working. Even when I hit on a vein it won't bleed enough even when warming, massaging, squeezing...the meter gives an error of "not enough blood".
    What do you put behind the ear to press against..? A warmed rice sock, a cotton ball, a napkin, and my finger. None of which is working.

36. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

This will get easier for you both.

37. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, it is very possible that Espresso may be dehydrated. I would recommend that you take him back to the vet for more fluids, but also have the vet show you how to give them. You can then get the fluid bag & setup from them and give them to Espresso at home. If it turns out that he needs to remain on fluids the vet can write a script for the fluids, lines and needles so you can order them in bulk.

38. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Neither of my cats drink water, either. I leave a bowl of fresh water out for them, but it's more as a red flag for me if they start drinking out of it than anything they actually use.

For injections, it sounds like you've been injecting him while he's eating. Michelangelo didn't even notice/mind the first week or so of getting his shots but then soon caught on as to when he would get him. One thing that worked really well for me is that I started announcing that it was time for his shot. I would approach him with the syringe, give him a few pats and pets along his flank where I was going to shoot him, press my finger into the spot where the needle would go in, and then replace my finger with the needle. Sometimes, he'll stop eating and come to me for his shot before I get to him; other times, he'll stop eating and wander off and I have to chase him around with the needle. :lol: Either way, he's now a lot more cooperative when he knows it's coming instead of me trying the sneak approach.

I use the AccuChek FastClick lancing device so I have no idea what gauge they have. You can try purchasing a box of "alternate testing site" lancets (they're around 26 gauge, I believe) and that might help. It does take a week or two before their ears "learn to bleed," but it can be quite frustrating at first.The key is persistence (and treats! :lol: ). Because Mikey's ears bleed so easily now, I have the lancet device on the most shallow setting (which doesn't poke through the ear) so I just use my finger as a backing. Some people use disposable make-up pads, a bit of paper towel, a pill bottle, etc.... Get creative and try anything that comes to mind. ;-)

It actually sounds like you might possibly be having a bit of trouble getting enough blood on the strip more than getting enough blood out of the ear. Hold the strip at a 45 degree angle to the blood drop and then gently hover the suction-wick part of the strip over the drop of blood and not against the ear and it should slurp the blood right up all the way to the top. I had to practice on myself a few times before I got this technique down properly.

39. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Dianna,
    If you are using the lancets that I sent to you, I sent you 2 baggies and in each baggie states the size. Check and let me know that that is correct.

40. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Let me know what size the lancets are that Ohbell sent you? The ones that came with the meter may be too fine .. if so, pick up some 26g, 28g or 29g ones.

Try something hard behind the ear when freehanding - like a pill bottle lid

Wendy

41. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

I've tried all the different lancets so far, including the one touch that I used to use for myself for hypoglycemia.

42. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Are you still having trouble getting blood no matter the lancet size? Have you tried using a lancing device instead of free-hand?

43. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

I got blood once this week (320). The lancet device isn't drawing enough blood. I got it once by doing it by hand, but either way does not get blood very often, and when it does it's usually not enough (error messages) after many, many tries. I'm so frustrated. That and not being able to pay my utility bills this month as it all went to vet emergency bills ! This has gotten to be too much for me. I am in a severe depression over vet bills and utilities :(

44. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

What kind of relion is it?

Wendy

45. ettevyva

ettevyva Member

ReLion ULTIMA meter. Yesterday at 7:00pm his blood sugar was 252 at 7:00pm before he ate. This morning his blood sugar was 345 after he'd half eaten.

46. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Good job! Now the ultima needs 0.6microl but the Confirm and Micro need half that amount of blood. If you find you get some blood but its erroring and saying not enough you might want to switch meters! 0.6ml is a lot even for the best testers when you have a non-bleeder cat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.