Even more confused on shot schedule now

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julie and Honey, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/getting-back-on-a-12-12-shot-schedule.101059/

@Marje and Gracie

This week,
    Monday am shot 1 hour late
    Tuesday am shot 30 min late
    Thursday pm shot 30 min late

I read article above but am still confused because that is talking about 1 delay not 3.

Since I shot 30 min late last night do I shoot 15 min early this morning? Then my AMPS number will be off and she was high yesterday, and may be higher today due to delay last night. So now I think I can’t shoot early today so AMPS number isn’t off?

Then if I shoot 15 min early again tonight am I screwing her up more? I would rather do it slowly to not mess up numbers more, but don’t know how.

This is tuning into a vicious cycle and I cannot get pm mid cycle numbers if this keeps getting worse.

Would like to get at least 30 minutes back this week, but don’t want her numbers to be off by so much I won’t know if she needs a dose increase next Monday. I can get another 30 minutes to an hour back next week if that will keep her numbers from getting any more messed up.

Very confused:(

Thanks

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Julie, Marje is on the west coast so she probably isn't awake yet.

Since you shot 30 minutes late last night, you can start regaining your schedule by shooting either 15 minutes earlier this AM and again 15 minutes earlier tonight, or you can just do a one time 30 minutes earlier this AM. It looks like her numbers are high enough so if it were me, I would shoot 30 minutes earlier this AM to help regain your schedule.

ETA: You can do the above each day until you regain your shot time schedule.

Julie and Honey likes this.
  3. Julie and Honey

Thanks, Want to get as accurate AMPS (closest to 12hours). So would 15 am today and 15 pm tonight be just as good as 30 all at once in am? Then I can make up some more next week.

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I'm confused. How much time do you need to make up and why make up more next week?

5. Julie and Honey

2 hours, need to get back to 6/6 and am now at 8/8. I am going now to do 15 min before I lose another one today. Thanks

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Ok. 15 minutes at each shot time until back to 6/6.

Julie and Honey likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Or 30 minutes at once only one time a day.

8. Olive & Paula

Ut oh, I won't say what I did last week when we were off by bit more than 2 hrs. That's when running high comes in as a good thing.

Looks like she is doing the 15 min. If I read her post correctly.

9. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

It isn't a matter of life and death! Simply shoot 15 minutes early twice a day (at AMPS and PMPS) for 4 consecutive days, or 30 minutes early once a day (choosing either AMPS or PMPS) for 4 consecutive days. Then you will be back to your original schedule. Keep to this plan! You must follow it every day of the 4 days. Don't start it and then put some of it off until "next week"!

If all of this is too confusing and you can't keep track, there is another thing you can do: skip a shot and go back to your original schedule time on the next shot. When you skip a shot (or give a fur shot) you begin counting dose cycles all over again. In your case, if you skip tonight's shot and begin tomorrow's AM shot at your original time (6 a.m.), you would start counting the number of cycles on your 0.5 Unit dose with tomorrow's AM shot. Since you are doing SLGS, you would hold that dose for 7 days and then do a curve.
    This might be your best option, because then you can start fresh, as it were! I don't think you should worry about Honey's blood glucose numbers going too high. Just think of it as a fur shot. We all give fur shots and our cats get back on track. The important thing is getting back on that 12/12 schedule and being able to shoot at your chosen time (6 a.m./ 6 p.m).

:bighug::bighug:

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  10. Julie and Honey

Okay, did fine yesterday reducing 15 am and pm.

Now my question is since I plan to hopefully do a curve tomorrow, should I hold off on any more time changes today and tomorrow? My thinking is it may slightly throw numbers off and curve won’t be as accurate. Doing a curve will be difficult, do not want to have to re-do because of extenuating factors affecting curve numbers.

I also have a curve question, but maybe should post separately since not related to shot adjustment times.

Thanks and sorry, I know I ask a lot of questions. I just want to make sure I am doing what will produce most accurate results at reading times.

11. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Good morning, Julie!

In this forum we like members to put all their questions in a single thread per day. That way everything stays together for the sake of continuity. You can always edit the subject line of the thread and/or use the blue question mark prefix to flag your questions for others.
    It shouldn't affect the curve if you're adjusting shot times by 15 - 30 minutes at a time.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but don't get hung up on 'accuracy'. No matter what meter is used or whether it's calibrated for pets or humans... it's not going to be 'exact' or 'accurate'. We're mostly looking for trends, patterns, and low numbers... those are what's important. There's more an art than a science to regulating kitty. :)

Your curve question can be asked in your thread today.

About fasting... I noticed you're noting 'fasting' times for Honey. Rather than fasting times, you want to focus on and record when (what +hour) she eats and about how much she eats. Pretty soon, it'll become apparent how food fed will affect her cycle. I kept track of when and how much food was fed each day by dividing Alex's food up into "x" amounts. I'd place an asterisk (*) for each small amount/mini meal eaten in the corresponding cell on her spreadsheet. Eventually, I was able to learn how food affected her at any given time in the cycle.

Check her spreadsheets for examples of what I'm talking about. Some people will make notes in the Remarks section on the ss, but if you note the feeding in the cell you'll immediately have a visual. I found it helped immensely, but to each his/her own. :D

Feel free to ask as many questions as you have. It's how we all learn!

Hope this helps!

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  12. Julie and Honey

Thanks. I thought that is what I did? That is why I put question mark and not start another thread on existing topic from yesterday?

I didn’t mean accuracy from a normal meter variance, just was worried about external factors ie. shot time affecting BG. Good to know a few minuets here or there won’t make a difference in numbers much. I am a perfectionist, so hard for me to go off script, lol.

The fasting times are more for me, I can take those out and put them on a personal spreadsheet. I do keep track of her food times and how many ounces she ate, which food, zero or low carb, etc. and a lot of other things that I was doing when she first was diagnosed, ie. How many times a day and how much she is peeing, that can probably stop as it is consistent and less than she used to. I won’t get into the poop log, lol, that started after switching to wet low carb from dry, but now on Miralax probably no longer need to keep track of that either. When I start logging something, I tend to keep doing it even if I probably don’t need to any longer. I am sure I have way more info than I need or anyone cares to know about.

Also, she eats every 2-3 hours 24/7, so hard to put all that in spreadsheet..hoping she will start eating less once her numbers are lower..

Just saw you mentioned putting in cell, that is a good idea, didn’t know it would allow for more info in cells as I figured they had a formula (to produce the color coding)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Reason for edit: ammended
    Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I was referring to this thread (which is from yesterday) plus your other thread from yesterday. Now today this thread is active again as well as your new thread. Not a big deal... our system confuses everyone at first. The tips in the Info Post, Making the Most of Your Lantus, Basaglar, & Levemir ISG Experience, should be of more help.
    Feel free to keep track of details important to you.

I mentioned noting quantity of food and times fed because regulating kitty is not just about administering insulin. It's the optimal use of the effects of the combination of food and insulin that will help towards regulation. Feeding times and amounts fed will become part of the strategy you'll be using to compliment the action of the insulin throughout the cycle. In other words, you'll learn Honey's responses at various times throughout the cycle and eventually use that knowledge to your advantage.
    At one time, Alex was eating 8 times per 24 hour period. That's why placing an asterisk in the cell works so well. It doesn't take up much space. Eventually, I was able to feed her 4 times per 24 hour period (every six hours)... at shot time and right before each nadir.
    You're correct. When one adds multiple test results or other info such as an asterisk, we must color the cell manually. You'll have to learn how to do it any way because there will be times when Honey is running in low numbers and you'll have to test sooner than every hour.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

@Julie and Honey Im sorry I missed your tag yesterday. I was out of town so I’m glad you got some responses.