Evo vs Instinct

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Covert Ops, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Covert Ops

Covert Ops Member

I am currently feeding my civie's the Evo low carb/High protein hard food atm because I cannot afford to feed them wet right now. I no it's not good for them but it's a lesser of evils (evo, lol) so bare with me.

The only issue i have with the Evo right now is it is over 600 calories per cup. They do offer a "low calorie" version which has around 500 calories per cup but the carbs will obviously be increased. One alternative I found was the Natures Variety "Instinct" which is also low carb/high protein and again around 500 calories per cup. Another bonus is it is $0.50/pnd cheaper.

Should I make the switch to Instinct or stick with evo because they are used to it? My only concern with Nature's variety is I heard the kibble size is larger, not sure if that will pose a problem but I think I read they bind with tapioca instead of potatoes which is a plus in my book. Also the "bio coating" concept sounds good in theory.

Here are the binky numbers for all three:

Protein /Fat /Carbs /Fiber (g) /Phosph (mg) /Calories per cup

Innova EVO Cat & Kitten Diet: 49 /38 /13 /? /? /481
    Innova EVO Cat & Kitten: 44 /47 /8 /0.2 /396 /612
    Nature's Variety Raw Instinct: 45 /49 /7 /0.7 /418 /491

2. Covert Ops

Covert Ops Member

Sorry, but I wanted to bump this because I need to place an order tonight. Do I go with the Evo Light food or try Instinct? Please, any input would be appreciated (I understand hard food is not optimal)

3. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

Have you tried the Instinct yet?

I've tried all of the grain free foods and my cats really prefer the Evo. I keep going back to it because it is their favorite.

That said, we don't have any real weight problems to deal with here and they don't eat that much of it so I'm not concerned with the calorie count.

4. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

You are right. The Instinct kibble is bigger chunks than the EVO. Do you have Wellness CORE available to you? If I remember correctly it is lower cal than EVO is. It is also a small kibble, like the EVO so if that is your big consideration you might want to check it out.

Around here (Chicago) CORE is also easier to find than Instinct is.

5. Covert Ops

Covert Ops Member

I have never tried Instinct, so I don't know if the kibble size is an issue or not. How much bigger is it? Sometimes I think my cats don't even chew evo so maybe a bigger kibble could be good.

My main concern is calories and according to binky's chart wellness is higher in carbs but for some reason there is no listing for calories. Any know an actual calories/per cup for core? I also don't like that core has potatoes in it.

6. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I'd double check the ingredients list on anything you are considering. Look for actual meat rather than meal as the primary ingredients. From my quick check EVO had
    and Instinct has

That said it pretty much depends on what your kitties will eat. Can you get some samples?

7. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I haven't bought it in a while but the pieces used to be quite a bit bigger - maybe 3-4 time but they are flat so it's not horrible. Moochie didn't like the Instinct much so I didn't use it for long.

Regarding the Wellness, I honestly thought that it was slightly lower carb and calorie than the EVO but again, it's been a while since Moochie ate it. She can't have the grain free foods because of her pancreatitis. They are all pretty high fat so she doesn't eat them anymore.

Now for the potato issue I'm not knowledgeable enough on the the different sources of carbohydrates to know how potato stacks up next to the veggies used by Innova.

8. Covert Ops

Covert Ops Member

Evo has peas as well, but from what I read chicken meal is better than chicken.

9. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

If I leave Evo and Core kibble out, the Evo always disappears first. Allegedly Evo is 8% carbs and Core is 11%.

10. Ann & Tess GA

One of the main feline nutrition links referred to here is the website of Dr. Lisa Pierson DVM. Here's the link: http://catinfo.org/

This is what I was referring to:
    I know that you are not ready to switch to canned, but her articles are well worth reading.

11. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Just an FYI - I would be much more inclined to get my information from Dr Lisa's website than from "searchwarp.com". I have no idea where that info comes from vs. Lisa Pierson, DVM.

I am not arguing whether or not the chicken listed in the food is really chicken but rather questioning whether or not taking nutritional information from an unknown, unprovable source as gospel is a good idea.

12. Covert Ops

Covert Ops Member

I agree, Dr. Piersons nutritional information is golden, and by far some of the best around. Basically I was just looking to debate a "lesser of two evils". I eneded up going with the Instinct since it has fewer calories and still under 10% carbs.

I am giving the civies' soft food in the mornings now so I will eventually get them on soft food. I just have limited funds and my diabetic gets the evo 95% chicken canned and it's not cheap plus all the recent vet bills. Side note, we discovered a lump on lydida that I need to now take care of.

13. Ann & Tess GA

So sorry to hear about Lydia's new problem. Hopefully it's benign.

Have you considered making raw yourself? It looks like it would actually be a little cheaper than canned. If you can buy in bulk the price comes down considerably.

We have an old hand cranked food grinder that I hope will work. A local feed store will soon be carrying some and I'm waiting to try that to see if Tess will eat it, before I try to set up production.

14. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

I have Wellness Core out for my other cats. It may be higher calorie than what we were feeding before (Purina ONE hairball) but it seems to last forever. They don't eat nearly as much as they did of the other.

Also, PetSmart has a sale going on right now on Friskies canned. 40 cents a can, I think. You could feed 1/2 dry, 1/2 friskies to save $$.... just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.