extremely high vitamin b 12 levels

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Autumnsmom, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Autumnsmom

Autumnsmom New Member

when my Autumn was diagnosed with IBD she started getting Vit b 12 shots, but wasn't tested for her Vit b 12 levels. When she became diabetic 3 months ago, a vet suggested doing a Vit b 12 test. Because of mixups she had her last Vit. b 12 shot in end of may,after having one in end of april, previously having them every two weeks.She had the test done on Saturday and then got another Vit b 12 shot then. I got the results- they are off the charts- way too high over 3689. Does this mean liver cancer, her blood glucose levels are stilll high and now she has cat acne on her chin and tummy. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE YOUR KITTY VITAMIN B 12 SHOTS UNTIL HER LEVELS ARE DONE.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

My understanding is that a kitty will eliminate any extra B12 in the system. Jones went from being in the tanker to high when he started his B12 therapy. He is on a standard injection once a month (twice now since he is in the midst of a flare). His B12 values came back down to a normal range after a bit. High of normal but normal.

They need the B12 to absorb the nutrients of the food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.