Fancy Feast changes??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Olivia and Coconut, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olivia and Coconut

Olivia and Coconut New Member

Have you notice that your cats don't like the recent changes in FF? What has been done to FF?
    When Coconut was diagnosed in 9/08, I discovered this site(thank you all). I changed all 3 of my cats to FF and he and they have done well.
    But my young(2yrs) civie has recently been eating a few bites and walking away. I will never go back to dry and am trying other canned using the charts but it's hard to find certain varieties. Also I have 9 cases of FF that I stockpiled for absences so my petsitter has a supply. I saw something about the order of ingredients has been changed. I wonder if its giving a different odor.
    Thanks,
    Olivia, Coconut and Lucky (the reluctant eater)

2. bradie96

bradie96 Member

i really havent noticed a difference in it...but also i just feed them that on occasion now since feeding 2 is a bit much...i recently switched over to sophistcat (petsmart brand) and it smells and looks like FF..and they have been gobbling it up.

3. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

I seem to be throwing out more FF instead of having clean dishes.

4. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

The Gourmet Chicken Feast especially seems to be disliked. Bandit's a kitty hoover when it comes to his food, but since the label change he'll walk away from this kind after just a few bites. I'll have to open a new can or mix some salmon crumbs from his treats in with it.

He seems to have this problem only with flavors that have chicken it it...Salmon, Turkey & Giblets, and Beef are all readily gobbled up. Rarely, he'll turn his nose up at Chicken & Liver and Chicken & Beef. But it's a 50/50 shot with the Gourmet Chicken flavor. I think I'm going to look into a different brand food for the chicken. Whiskas and Sophisticat both make a low carb chicken flavor.

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

There was a big discussion about this a bit back. See http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8197.

Maybe you can let us know where you are (city, state) and the flavors you have stockpiled. Perhaps there is someone nearby using those flavors who will buy them from you at current store price.

6. Olivia and Coconut

Olivia and Coconut New Member

Re: Fancy Feast changes?? update

Yesterday evening and this morning I tried an experiment. In my vacation stockpile, there are 3 cases of the "older" label - the 3 varieties my cats eat Tender Beef feast, Chicken Feast and Tender Liver & chicken Feast. last night I gave the beef and this am the chicken. Well, Lucky ate every single bit with gusto as he used to. That was proof to me that it's the "new" variety that is the problem.

I checked online and found that others are having problems. I looked at the labels and see different order also there use to be B-2 and B-6 also listed. I called Purina and voiced my complaint (whatever good that will do). I asked about the changes and she said that some minerals had been taken out and others substituted. The"old" formulation was last made 12/09. I asked for an ingredients listing but was told that they don't send that out.

For now, I am going to give him the"old" I have for a week and then try 1/4 new,3/4 old and see if I can transition him. He has lost weight and deserves food he likes. Coconut also doesn't like it but he will eat some.

Thanks for the info on other brands to try. Thanks for the offer to find an outlet for my supply but I will hold on for awhile.

Olivia, Coconut and Lucky
    Tiger and Sassy GA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.