Fancy Feast Classics Chicken Pate

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Jan 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I was looking at the chart that lists all the cat foods. I emailed Purina and asked them how many carbs were there in the Chicken Pate, they just got back to me and said 0.9 %. I thought it was less, the chart says 0.3 %

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Depends if you are talking min/max values or the as fed values. Dr. Lisa's list is as fed values - which is more relevant.

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi , I am still new to all of this, all I did was ask Purina how many carbs were in it.Dumb question, when you say as fed what does that mean?

4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

It means overtime what is actually the amount of carb in the food that is being eaten.

There is the guaranteed values -is based upon the min/max values that is noted on the cans. Those values can range from a low and high that is meant to meet the regulation requirements.

5. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

And also, as Dr Lisa says on her chart, that really the difference between 0.9 and 0.3 is soooooo tiny that actually it’s just as likely any 0.9% is going to be the same as 0.3% on any single batch. It’s still an average and a guess going on math. To try not to pick apart those tiny percentages and aim for under 10% in general.

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

So let's say he eats one can of the fancy feast then it would be a total of only 0.3 carbs for the 3 ounce can, sorry but I just didn't understand

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you, this is all new to me

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

It means 0.3% of the calories are from carbs. So on 100 calories - 3 are from carb. If it 10% - then 10 calories are from carb.

Either way....we try for 10% or less - 0.3% is pretty damn good!

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks so much , I understand .One last question I'm sorry to be such a pain. On the Fancy Feast can it says for the calories calculated 1159/KCak/KG then. 99KCal/can so do you go by the 99 .meaning it's 99 calories per can? Tyler weighs 19 lbs right and aiming to get him down to at least 16 lbs. He is a big cat. I did post about him on another thread n thetmain forum which is titled Tyler's BG Levels telling about him. So if I want to start feeding him the Fancy Feast it says feed 1 can per 3-3-1/2 lbs of body weight. Since I want to get him down to 16 lbs would I be giving him 4 cans per day, which I don't even think he would eat 4 cans per day . Right now he is eating the Hills M/D wet. The cans are 5. 5 ounce cans. When he was first diagnosed with diabetes he weighed in at 18 lbs, before that he was 23 lbs, I couldn't believe he lost that much weight. So she wants to get him down to around 16 lbs. She said he could have two cans per day. He diesdoe even eat a whole can of it per day. On the can it reads 1041/Kcal/Me/Kg then 162/KCal/ME/ can. So if he did eat 2 cans a day wouldn't that be a titat of 324 calories per day. I forgot what she said. Right now I weighed him because he feels heavier to me and now he weighs 20 lbs. I don't know how that happened lol. He's not very active at all he's lazy. Maybe because of the hind legs , I have been giving him the Zobaline for about 4 months now, I do see some imorimprove in the way he is walking. He's not crazy about the M/D all of a sudden, so I have to put the Fancy Feast on top of it in order to get him to eat it. When he eats the top if the Fancy Feast he will walk away and then I have to add more. He's a pain in the neck lol. When I asked her about feeding the Fancy Feast she said she didn't like it because she saw many cats that got urinary tract infectiiin from it. Well if I have to fight with him to eat the M/D what's the use, like I said he doesn't even eat a whole can if it a day. I am going to see her next week because I have to bring his brother in for his blood work, he has kidney disease, but he's doing ok thank God. I'm going nuts with these two cats lol. If you get a chance maybe you can look for my other post about Tyler in the main forum, it says Tyler's BG Levels, I wish I could copy and paste it here. I'm sorry if I'm being a bother, I truly appreciate your help

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  10. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Yes. 99 in the can.

That Hills M/D is full of filler - so he will feel full but he isn't necessarily getting good calories IMHO.

Yes. Which could be 40 too much in a day.

An easy way of doing the calorie thing is ideal weight in lbs X 13.5 +70.

so 16 x 13.5 = 216+70= 286 calories a day. That is with treats and food. So that means he would get 3 cans roughly of the Fancy Feast or 2.5 with treats added in.

You can try to add some type of topper after he has his first few bits. Is he feed openly? A feeder might be an option to let him graze through the day.

I will go take a look in main forum.

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi again Purina just got back to me and said the carbs 0.9 is as per fed values

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom

I can't thank you enough for explaining this to me, you are so very helpful

13. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Just paying it forward...that is what we do here!
    Ask anything...someone always has answer or there are options provided for what has worked for our own kitties.

AlphaCat likes this.
  14. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you again, I will keep in touch

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi again, I think I am definitely going to switch Tyler to the Fancy Feast. Just out of curiosity I asked Hills how many carbs were there in the Wet M/D food, this is what they said
    Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc.

Dear Diane:

Thank you for visiting HillsPet.com and contacting us.

Hill's® Prescription Diet® m/d® Feline Canned has a carbohydrate content of 16.3% on a dry matter basis. What the heck does that tell me when I asked about the wet food. I guess they assume I know what that means. Do you know. I actually never asked my vet what the carb content was. I think I will switch to the FF classic chicken pate. Sorry to ask so many questions

We appreciate that you took the time to contact us. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to call our Consumer Affairs Department toll free at 1-800-445-5777 or visit our website at HillsPet.com.

16. Tracey&Jones (GA)

That is after you take out the moisture component of the food.

Here is a link. It isn't totally accurate using the min/max values but it can help guide you.

Also Dr. Lisa list is a good resource as well. https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf You can read a bunch of additional notes at the end. They can be very helpful in helping in determining a good food to try.

Remember though...the best food is the one he will eat! Even if it means a higher carb one till you can find something in the lower carb range he will eat.

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks again I have given him the FF last night he ate about 3/4 of the can and this morning ate the same amount

18. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

There are better foods out there but FF is the main reason Dusty went into remission. Once you get Tyler under control and stabilized you can start looking for better foods but you definitely can't go wrong with FF especially if he'll eat it!

19. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi yes he loves the FF, thanks for replying back

Dusty Bones likes this.
  20. Diane Tyler's Mom

Tyler has been eating just the fancy feast classic chicken pate now for the last three days , since this Thursday. I took him off the Hills M/D completely, he wouldn't eat it at all. He loves the FF. One question his poop has been a little mushy, I'm assuming it's because I switched him , even tried to mix the M/D and FF together to transition slowly, but he wouldn't eat it. I'm assuming his poop will get back to normal once his system gets used to the FF. Thanks

Dusty Bones likes this.
  21. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

It should go to normal soon, I'm sure it's just from the change.

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you, it's getting there lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.