Feeding question; Frankie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jay, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay Member

The boy is back.

He was constipated (go figure)

Doc gave me a laxative to keep his stool moving, however the stuff is loaded with Carbs. A partial list of the ingredients include (its called Laxatone) Corn Syrup, malt syrup and molassess. The Doc knows he is diabetic. The description on the tube ( I was told to spread 1" of the stuff on his arm and he will lick it off) is Lubricant for the Elimination of and Prevention of Hairballs.

To avoid him getting constipated again, does anyone know of a low carb substitute?

Also, while he was at the Vet they did a urinalysis which came back (apart from the obvious, he is diabetic) that he has a propenisty to produce crystals in his urine, which can cause stones and pain while urinating. The doc told me that the only way to prevent his getting urinary blockage (which has to be very painful, a few of my human friends had kidney stones) was to feed him, the following (slowly incorporating it into his diet and then go 100%)
    Hills Prescription Diet CD and/or Royal Canin Urinary SO,

When I eyeballed the ingredients, is saw, gluten (obviously high carbs) The Vet is at a loss as I discussed with him that these foods have to be high carbs based on the ingredients, (6.4 As Fed, wet, per this printout of the food that one of the Vet Techs gave me to read) as to how I can minimize Frankies risk of Urinary Blockage wnile managing his managing his diabetes.

I never want to hear again, the screams and howls that I heard the other day which was caused by him not being able to pass stool. I can only imagine how much pain is involved in not being able to urinate (I'm a guy)

Anyone have an ideas as to substitutes that would help mitigate his high level of crystals in his urine

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the active ingredient in laxatone is mineral oil, the rest is just to make it more appetizing to the kitty. I have to use mineral oil for my dog to go poo since he has a malformed vertebra that pinches a nerve that keeps him from going. We just put about a tablespoon on his food twice a day and he gobbles it up. A big bottle is in the laxative section in a pharmacy and should cost between $2 and $3. It should be colorless and tasteless. I would try putting a teaspoon on your kitty's wet food twice a day and see if that helps you. Mineral oil is also used as a laxative for humans.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

In actuality the main ingredient of Laxatone is white petrolatum USP 214 mg/g while light mineral oil NF is only 34 mg/g. Thus, there is about six times as much white petrolatum as mineral oil. One common trade name for white petrolatum is Vaseline.

4. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

A common product around here for feline constipation is Miralax. See this thread.

Can't help with the diet question.

5. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Thank you for clearing that up. Its been a while since I used the stuff and I didn't have any lying around!

6. pamela and tigger

pamela and tigger Well-Known Member

Maybe try Vetbasis? It has been mentioned here a lot over the years as a hairball/constipation remedy.

http://www.vetbasis.com/prod_cat_hairball1.asp

Also, Jay have you thought about trying to get Frankie to eat raw food? You can order online - we get ours from Felines Pride. There are distributors all over. Link in my sig. Check out the website and testimonials (I think my testimonial is still in there and I know a lot of those people so they are legit).

That C/D is what I was feeding Tigger and which probably contributed to him becoming diabetic. Sometimes you got to do what you gotta do, but to me that food might temporarily fix one problem while causing others.

7. Jay

Jay Member

S/O is on 4% Carbs, going to try that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.