Feeding question?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kldanzi, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kldanzi

kldanzi Member

I know diabetic cats tend to eat more until their insulin is regulated but I am not sure exactly how much to feed my cat. He used to be a fattie and he would literally eat ALL DAY LONG until I started offering food for only an hour at a time. (I watched him one day. He would eat, walk a lap around the house, eat, lay down for 10 minutes, eat, etc.)

He ended up getting skinny.... TOO skinny!! We got our DX, switched to wet, and now he eats 5.5oz twice daily with a snack of 1.5oz mid-day. That would be 12.5 oz wet food total per day and he's still begging. He is 11.1 pounds right now. I read that the right amount to feed is whatever they will eat in a half hour but I'm afraid that he will just eat however much I let him have since he is a FFC- "Former Fat Cat!"

2. RuBee

RuBee Member

I know all about kitty binge eating! Rufus still scarfs a good portion of his meals, but usually winds up saving a little for later. This is an improvement from when we first switched him off a dry free-feed routine. Since cats are creatures of habit, changing things up on them can cause some really wacky behavior. However, with luck, your cat should eventually settle into your new routine and the "food panic" (as I call it) should subside. Let's cross our fingers and hope somebody can give you some specific advice as to how much you should be feeding. (I still don't know what to do with my cat's schedule!)

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my Oliver. He had been "on the streets" before we rescued him and he was very skinny. He never seemed to get over that starvation idea; he really liked to eat. We fed him 2.5 cans of Fancy Feast daily - spread out with an automatic feeder. So he got about 1/2 in the morning, 1/2 around noon, 1/2 in the afternoon, 1/2 at our dinner time and then 1/2 at night. He still would have been up for a meal any time, but this did seem to satisfy him pretty well and he was at a good weight. (After we first got him, he was a 7 pound Maine coon so did need fattening. But on dry Science Diet, he ballooned to 16 pounds. Then when we went to wet, lo carb he got back down to 12 and it continued to be a good weight for him.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.