Feeding scedule

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hales + Comet, Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hales + Comet

Hales + Comet Member

Comet is doing incredibly well but he is always hungry and begging for food. He usually eats 5 oz in the morning and 3-5 at night and occasionally 3 in the middle of the day. This is the exact amount he should be eating to maintain the weight the vet wants him at. I am curious about how others feed. Is feeding midday alright or will it mess u his numbers? should I feed him more if he is begging for more occasionally even if he ate the amount he is supposed to?

2. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Midday should be fine as long as he's not eating 2 hrs before pre shot test.

I know a lot of people feed multiple times a day. Currently that's not possible for us due to our work schedules, but I'm considering getting a timed feeder to remedy this as our guy begs long before dinner time. Currently we feed twice a day, but often give a little small midnight meal or if my partner pops by on his lunch he'll put down a small snack for them.

3. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

I prefer to feed multiple times a day if possible.

There's a really good article link somewhere around here that discusses the reason for the appetite increase.

Is your cat over- or underweight?

4. Hales + Comet

Hales + Comet Member

He is overweight he weighs about 16lbs now but was more before his diagnosis (he lost a lot right before he got diagnosed) but the vet wants him at about 14 since he is naturally a large cat

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  5. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

6. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I am so glad to see your post. I think I have posted before about Zoe's appetite, but it is getting ridiculous. I have never seen anything like it. She begs constantly. She lays in the kitchen floor and if I go anywhere remotely near she jumps up and begs. She eats voraciously and woofs it down so she can run get her sisters food. It is almost comical but its not. I have looked at mini muffin pans to try putting bits of food in so she will slow her a$$ down but they look too small and would be hard to get food out from muffin spots. I am at a loss. I have the timed feeder and feed her4 times per day. She is about 13 lb and should be more like 9 probably. She eats 1/2 can of 6 oz friskies at shot time 2 times a day and 1/4 at noon and about 11p sometimes more. I figured she would let me rest at night that way. But if you total what she steals it is double that amount and I know that is bad. The timed feeder is helpful but I dont know if any of it matters. She stays at mid 300's on blood sugars no matter if I increase insulin or leave her at the original 3 units, and if I feed her twice a day or 4 times. Nothing fazes her. I have the microchip feeder for her sister in my bedroom so she can eat a few kibbles of the ZeroMature no carb dry and Zoe can't get into it. (though believe me she tries). I need it for downstairs feeding for the wet but Bella is much pickier and a nibbler and may not eat but a few bites of the wet, which leaves it wide open for Zoe to scarf. I dont like old wet food sitting around so I just dont bother trying to use the microchip feeder for it, though it would stop Zoe from stealing food. Oh my. I am so drained from dealing with human health problems during the day and coming home to a constant needy puss. I love her so much but I want her to stop begging. My last cat had hyperthyroid and did the same thing and was actually starving. Bella is such a dainty eater and her deal is she stares at me and paces to tell me to let her out. She is in and out and I can't leave garage cracked for cat door exit because she will bring in something or another cat might try and come in. So I have to get up and down in the evening. I must be a terrible cat parent because they both manipulate me in their own way. I would say vacation but then it is paying vet fees to watch over Zoe while gone. LOL no rest for the weary.

7. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

@sybil we have the same issue with our sugarcat. He SCARFS and then immediately is hovering over his brothers bowls. I've been looking into slow feeders/busy bowls but most look fairly impractical for wet food. If I recall correctly at one point I was searching slow feeders on the forum and saw someone recommend putting a clean object (like a golf ball) in the bowl so kitty has to move it around and may busy themselves licking it clean. We haven't tried it yet but I'm pert near giving it a shot.

8. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

Thanks. I am at my wits end. I was just scooping the box and i feel like that is all I do and I only have two cats and one goes out alot. I have a regular catbox and one i set up after seeing youtube about using pine pellets and a box that allows wet pine sawdust fall through slats to a puppy pad. It is a great idea but they wouldnt use it. Zoe has begun to and while I was scooping the other box she came in and peed. It dawned on me that maybe she has a uti since that is how the whole diabetes started with her worrying me and it was coz her bladder hurt. (But her BG levels dont seem high like they were with the stress of uti) Recently the vet sent me message it was time for a glucose curve, so i think i will take her in and have them check for uti. I will feel horrible if that is why she is so demanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.