? Feeding times on Lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tom & Monty, May 23, 2020.

1. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Hi there,

Is there any advice on feeding times on Lantus?

My cat uses caninsulin currently but we're switching to lantus next week. Currently he has most of his food just prior to his shot then a small snack a few hours later, twice a day.

As I understand, lantus should produce a smoother curve, does this mean I can switch to feeding him 5 or 6 times a day in equal portions? I was considering just loading an auto feeder in the mornings before I leave for work set to dispense food every 4 hours.

He's such a greedy cat and eats eveything I give him so quickly. I'd prefer to give him smaller, more frequent meals if I can as he doesn't like being fed so many hours apart.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

ECID but many income found that several small meals works well. Try to feed during the first half of the cycle. You can test, feed, shoot, all within about 5-10 minutes. You can see if the bg spikes feeding in the later half and decide from your testing. The feeder is used by most that work and a great idea. Welcome to the forum.

Please set up a signature. You can see from mine what is needed. A spreadsheet is a must if you want advice. We are data driven here. Read the yellow stickies to see the two methods used here. Will you be using a human or pet meter? The methods we’re developing using a human meter and the test strips are much cheaper.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Caninsulin works much faster than Lantus and generally produced a sharp, downward curve. It also doesn't have the same duration as Lantus. Lantus onset is at about 2 hours after you shoot and nadir is at about 6 hours after you shoot. (All of this said, ECID -- every cat is different and my kitty had a very early nadir.) This is my long winded way of saying you do not need to have food on board before you give a shot. Many of us will give a shot while our cat is eating. Like Elise noted, it's fine to spread out the food over the hours prior to nadir.

The only "rule" is to not feed your cat in the window 2 hours before shot time. You don't want food to influence you pre-shot number.

4. Sarah and Blaze

Sarah and Blaze Well-Known Member

I feed Blaze breakfast at 5:30 am and then I put small snacks in the auto feeder for +2, +4, +6 and +9 and same thing for the evening, dinner at 5:30 pm and small snacks in the auto feeder at +2, 4, 6, 9. You don’t have to do the +9 snack but that’s what works for my cat!:cat:

the auto feeder works great! I have the Petsafe 5 and it’s a life saver, especially when I’m at work all day.