Feeling overwhelmed and under qualified, twhen do i test blood before insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pat Downer, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat Downer

Pat Downer New Member

When do I test blood, how often do i trust my observation of lemons behavior. He was on 2 units twice a day and did well. Tested by at get and it was high 320,increased to 3 units and now he's back to spacy and walking badly again. Tested at 220 but he

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Your message is incomplete so I'm not sure what you were going to write. Going from 2 units to 3 units is a 50% increase - very large! Spacey and walking badly could mean that his blood glucose is far too low and he's having symptoms of hypoglycemia. If you could tell us what insulin you're using in what dose and whether you test his blood glucose before each dose (to see if a dose is going to be too high) and once or twice in between (to see how low the dose takes him) we would be able to give more advice.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Pat, welcome. Observation is an important part of our kitty's treatment, but to really know what's going on, we must test their blood glucose. We usually test, then feed, then give the shot if the test is high enough. We also try to get a few more tests in between shot times. Please tell us more about your cat. What insulin are you using, what are you feeding and any other meds Lemon is on.

4. Pat Downer

Pat Downer New Member

Using lantus100 saw vet this am. lemon was at 230 . lemon got 3 units at 4 am. Coming up on 4 pm meal and dose. I am doing 2 units at that time. He was doing really well at 2.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

1. When was Lemon diagnosed with diabetes?
    2. What dose of Lantus was he started at?
    3. How long was he on a dose of 2 units before being increased to 3 units?
    4. Have you been shown how to test Lemon's blood glucose at home?

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Are you home testing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.