Feeling Overwhelmed - Need Information on Home Testing!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Catmamacita, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catmamacita

Catmamacita New Member

All,

Was told by our vet that we need to bring our cat Gray in for a glucose curve this week (he was diagnosed just last week with diabetes) but then I'm reading about home testing and I would prefer to do this than to bring our cat back to the vet, which he's traumatized by I might add. Furthermore, I don't even think he would eat at the vet because he would be so scared and it would defeat the purpose of doing the glucose curve at the vet.

How do you test your cat at home and where can I get supplies to do this? Secondly, one of the technicians did mention during visit last week about home testing and pin prick the ear but to be honest, we were so overwhelmed with everything, I didn't ask a lot of questions about the home testing.

So should we bring Gray back to the vet to do the glucose curve or look into testing him at home and if so, what supplies will we need to do this and where can I buy them and do we need a prescription to by the testing supplies?

Kind Regards,

Catmamacita to Gray and Anna

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, I just answered your post on the welcome page.:)
    It is all very overwhelming in the beginning but it does get better.
    I gave you the link to testing the blood sugar on the welcome page so won't repeat it here.
    If you live in the US you can get a Relion meter to test the blood sugars from Walmart. You can get a Relion conform or a Relion micro meter.
    You will also need a box of 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    Some cosmetic cotton balls to hold behind the ear when you test and to press against the prick after you have tested.
    A box of extra test strips.

Once you are testing there is no need to take Gray to the vet for curves as you can do them at home. It not only saves money, it is much less stressful for Gray.

There is a vetsulin page which will be able to help you with dosing with vetsulin and things specific to vetsulin.
    Here is the link
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/caninsulin-vetsulin-and-n-nph.19/

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Definitely do the curve yourself! The numbers will be more accurate since Gray will not be stressed out. It will also save you the vet costs. You do not need a prescription for testing supplies.

4. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

My Sam was just diagnosed a week ago, I am having family issues so my husband is having to do all injections for now. Sam has first follow up appt today, spending day at vet. Hopefully will get info on home testing as well. As always any recommendations greatly welcomed. So appreciate how helpful everyone is, this is such a scary task and everyone has sent great helpful links. Thank you

5. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

Can someone give general guidelines for what bs is supposed to be? Thanks. I have seen so many numbers that I can't figure out what normal or good number would be.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

For a human meter normal is 50-120 and on a pet meter it's 68-150. As a diabetic you will probably see numbers much higher. You don't want to see numbers below normal. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Melanie Lesko likes this.
  7. Melanie Lesko

Melanie Lesko New Member

Thank you

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.