Feeling overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Larnmarie11, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larnmarie11

Larnmarie11 New Member

hello I am new to all of this. I just took my 12 yr old cat to the vet today for an upper respiratory infection. And came home just now finding out my cat has diabetes. I’m so overwhelmed. He’s such a healthy cat and has shown no signs. I don’t even know where to start. They said that he shows traces of glucose in his urine. So I guess that’s pretty bad. I left so brainwashed. I didn’t even order the insulin bc I’m in such disbelief. What do I do?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

So sorry for the diagnosis but you've come to the right place. What was the blood glucose at the vet?

Step one will be getting rid of the dry food and switch to a low carb wet food such as fancy feast classic or Friskies pate.

3. JanetNJ

I want to also reassure you that diabetes is not a death sentence and cats can live long healthy lives with it.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I agree with Janet... get him on a high-protein, low-carb wet food diet ASAP. Sometimes, that alone can bring glucose numbers back into normal range. Some people choose to try that for a little while before stating insulin. If you get a glucose meter and test at home, you will be able to keep a track of how his glucose levels are doing (no need to have to drag him to the vet for them to test).

5. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Welcome! Even though I know this isn't where you want to be. Try not to feel overwhelmed. There is a lot to learn about diabetes at first, but you don't have to do it all today. You can just start with the first step, which is getting your kitty off dry food and onto something like canned Fancy Feast or Friskies pate. That can make a big difference. He may not even need insulin. Are you comfortable learning to test his blood at home?

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome, I can attest to the fact that changing the diet can be the change you need. Idjit was put on a low carb wet diet and had insulin for a very short time before remission. I wish we had known more and not started the insulin immediately. Change the diet, test and see what kind of a difference happens.

7. Larnmarie11

Larnmarie11 New Member

Thank you all for replying. I can’t remember the number. But the vet said it was extremely high I believe in the 400s. They seemed upset when I turned down the insulin. I was just so over whelmed bc we took him in for an antibiotic. And came out hearing about diabetes. I tried explaining to them that I have been feeding him tons and tons of treats bc it was the only thing he would eat while not feeling while this last week. So I just wanted him to eat. We also adopted to new kittens a month ago. And he has been pigging our on their food before he had signs of his upper respiratory sickness. Other than this sickness. My baby has had no warning signs to me at all. So I really want to try changing the diet first. I will try the 2 foods listed above tomorrow. Also. Can you explain what it means when they found traces of glucose in the urine and why they made it seem a lot worse bc of it. Thank you so much!!!

8. Larnmarie11

Larnmarie11 New Member

I was just looking at the at home glucose kits at Walmart. Is it ok for me to buy the relion monitor? I would love to do this myself. Also. Will I need to take my cat to the glucose curve test at the vet. They told me it was $100 and I needed to do it numerous times.

9. JanetNJ

Once I started testing at home I didn't go to the vet for curves anymore. Yes you can get a relion micro or confirm (not Prime as it takes a big sample). Human meters will read lower than a pet meter which is what your vet uses. They will be close in numbers at the lower end, and father apart at high numbers. So while a 50 on a human meter is about a 70 on a pet meter, a number like 300 may be a 400 on a pet meter. Just keep that in mind. Normal on a human meter is 50-120 and on a pet meter it's 68-150. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

The reason the glucose in the urine is significant is that it means the bg numbers has be over the Renal threshold of about 250 long enough to spill sugar into the urine. This shows her numbers are high and pouts her at greater risk of developing uti. High bg also strains the internal organs and does damage over time.

10. JanetNJ

You can try cutting out high carb food for a few days, but the sooner you get your kitty on insulin the sooner he will feel better.

11. Larnmarie11

Larnmarie11 New Member

We are buying this meter today. And buying friskies pate to try. Are these 2 things good to start with???

Attached Files:

12. Idjit's mom

I have a Relion confirm and like it very much. Get plenty of strips while you are there. Get 28 gauge lancets, it's easier at first to get that blood drop. Cotton balls or cotton rounds, Equate or Neosporin Pain Relief ointment. A clean jar with lid if you don't have a sharps container. We used a clean mayo jar for syringes and lancets, then took it to the vet for disposal.
    Friskies pate and Fancy Feast classics are on Idjit's menu here.

13. JanetNJ

Yes. Get 100 extra test strips and 26 or 28 gauge lancets. Also get cotton cosmetic rounds to go behind the ear and protect your finger when you poke.

14. Larnmarie11

Larnmarie11 New Member

The insulin I was told to buy will be about $95-$100 a month Plus the seringes. Is there any where to get help with this. Or such thing as cheaper insulin to get?

15. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Which insulin has the vet recommended?

16. Larnmarie11

Larnmarie11 New Member

17. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

I use Prozinc. If I buy a vial from my vet, it costs about $150 and lasts 3 or 4 months. I think it is possible to buy it cheaper online. That's not something I've done, but someone else can probably point you in that direction. Even so, the over-priced Prozinc that I buy from my vet is still not $100 per month.

18. Esi

Esi Member

I just started my cat on Prozinc and bought it through chewy.com for about $95.00 with free shipping. I also bought U-40 syringes, which is the syringe that matches the Prozinc insulin. If you haven't already, it's very important to learn about using the right syringe with your insulin.

This is covered in the Prozinc forum.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...prozinc-pzi-insulin-for-diabetic-cats.164995/

Idjit's mom likes this.
  19. Arkali

Arkali Member

It's a lot to absorb. Gypsy got diagnosed about a week and a half ago--when I took her in, her blood sugar was above 700 (that's where the vet's meter topped out :eek: She's showing huge improvement though after switching to wet food and being on insulin. You can do it--once you figure out a plan, it gets easier. The people here are fantastic :)

JanetNJ and Esi like this.
  20. Larnmarie11

Larnmarie11 New Member

Help! At the vet right now. It has been a couple of days on antibiotics to get rid of my babies upper respiratory infection and now he’s feeling much better. And change in food to the wet food and now schedule feeding. His glucose was just checked. And it went from 456 last time. To 220 today. I haven’t given any insulin yet to him. But the vet is saying that she knows he’s still diabetic bc it was in his urine. Does anyone know if that’s true??? Or should I just keep up with the diet and see if they keep dropping before doing insulin???

21. Idjit's mom

You need to bring these questions to the Prozinc Forum, where users of that insulin can advise you. Do you know how to copy and paste a link so that the Prozinc users can see what you've been talking about on this forum? If not, this is the information that you want to link: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/feeling-overwhelmed.200905/#post-2236724
    Now, look at the top of the message window, see the B, I U line, there is a symbol that looks like a paperclip or a link in a chain, copy the text that starts with http and ends with 2236724, then go to the Prozinc Forum and start a thread with a title. In the message window click that chain link symbol and paste the text you copied into that link window. Then click "Insert". That way all readers can click the link and find out. Go to Prozinc Forum : http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

22. Idjit's mom

This Introduction forum is essentially just to get you started, and a way to say hello at the door. This is the Welcome mat on the front porch and many members don't get the chance to look in often. Post in the Main Forum or the Prozinc Forum for help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.