? Feline Carpal Hyperextension

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AmandaE, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with Feline Carpal Extension. I originally had thought that Mowgli had Diabetic Neuropathy when he arrived, but I am becoming more convinced that it is actually Carpal extension. I have attached a picture of Mowgli at the vet when he was initially diagnosed with diabetes in early March, I've drawn red lines to kind of show how his paws are extending. While this has gotten a little better since treatment, it's still prominent in his front paws.

Does anyone know anything about this condition? is there treatment options? Neither his old or new vet noticed or mentioned anything about his paws so should I not be concerned? He doesn't seem to be in pain and he is getting around normally.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Amanda,

Bronx paws bend in and he walks on his front hocks now. Here is a video of him walking a few months ago, the condition has worsened. He has Acro and have been told that is the reason for this condition of clubbed feet, it is not neuropathy. I've tried just about every supplement and nothing has worked. Vet said there is no procedure to fix the problem and just suggests upping Gaba or using Bupe. Medacam was also tried but that can cause havoc on the kidneys.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  3. AmandaE

What a sin! Poor Bronx, he’s such a handsome man despite his struggles.

Mowgli isn’t quite like that, he can still walk on his “tippy toes” but something definitely isn’t quite right, is that how Bronx’s condition started out? Does Bronx seem in pain? Mowgli’s feet don’t seem to cause him pain but cats are notorious for hiding symptoms of pain. He doesn’t limp or anything. I do notice he doesn’t jump up on as many things as he used to, but I just figured that to be his old age / my mom’s super strict household (where he used to live)

I’ll have to take this up with the vet at our next visit.

4. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Thx, he is!
    He started having a strange gait years ago when he walked and I just thought it was early arthritis. Once he was dx with acro, I did notice the clubbed feet starting. Vet manipulated the joints recently and Bronx didn't really flinch but I think he was just being stoic. He can't walk more than a few feet before laying down except when the vacuum monster comes out of the closet, then he moves rather fast :rolleyes:. Some people swear by CBD oil, fish oil & turmeric golden paste. I am using all 3 along with MSM, HyaFlex, Duralactin & Green Lipped Mussel powder. He also gets Gaba BID and I tried Bupe but that seems to get him more constipated.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  5. AmandaE

That is crazy, I will definitely have to bring these symptoms up with my vet. I'll probably need to get Mowg an x-ray or something along those lines. I've read that Carpal Hyperextension, even though it is more common in dogs, results in the tearing of ligaments at the carpal. It isn't really treatable, there is an option to fuse their bones, but this results in limited mobility and sounds torturous to me. When I compare Mowgli's front paws with these other animals (on those inter-webs) it seems similar... but I will need a formal diagnosis.

When I had mentioned his front paws to the vet, I had originally said I thought it was Neuropathy, he kind of just brushed it off as a maybe and didn't seem too concerned.

THE VACUUM MONSTER! so feared in our house!! Also: the broom monster, the loud outside motorcycle monster, the invisible soundless monster that creeps me out when they "see" it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.