feral cat - hi everyone... we're new to your board :0)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bonnie Dune, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie Dune

Bonnie Dune New Member

Hi everyone :0)
    Bonnie Dune was a feral cat that adopted us about 3 years back. The porch has been "her's" ever since... and the place in front of our fireplace ~ We found our way to this board by surfing info on feline diabetes - since Bonnie started to drink more water and pee more just recently. We have been feeding her an Iams dry cat food for older cats. But now know we need to change her diet to a wet higher protein and lower carb one. Her feralness will never allow us to give insulin injections so we need to try diet and homeopathic remedies. If anyone can give advice on how best to switch her food over... we are imagining over two weeks maybe would be best. And any homeopathic remedies that can be mixed in food. She is old and even a car ride to the vet is incredibly stressful for her. We want to keep her as comfortable as her lifestyle and her wild cat ways can take.
    Any info on food, remedies that worked for your feral cat, and books.
    Thank you very much,
    The people that gave Bonnie a porch -
    and a bowl of food on a rainy day once and little while ago :0)
    ps - she's had all her shots and is a fixed female about 15 years old and weighs 15 lb. Was emaciated when she found us.
    We now know letting her get over weight was our bad - . When the "kindness" thing is not so good.

Attached Files:

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

hi and welcome to the group

here's the best place to start to learn about food and transitioning from dry to wet:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=956

keep in mind that she may take right to the wet food without issue.

also, don't put a time table on transitioning, some cats will take to it immediately, others will need more time.

and be sure to check out janet & binky's food chart - the idea is to find foods that are 10% or lower in carbs.... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.

I lived with a beautiful feral cat for 18 years, 13 of which she spent inside my home and when she became HyperT, the best I could do was slip some meds in her food. I completely understand not being able to medicate.

I believe Jojo, a poster on this board and a certified vet technician, had a feral FD that she treated for many years. Hopefully others can correct me if I'm wrong.

I would suggest a trip to the vet to be sure that it's FD and not something that has the same symptoms such as hyperthyroidism or kidney problems. My own feral would go into a strange trance once placed in the carrier. Getting her into the carrier was a two person job and included closing all doors and moving furniture so she couldn't hide under anything. I do understand how hard that is, but it would be necessary to be safe that this isn't something else.

After that, if it is confirmed FD, you could try testing the sugar using urine samples if you know which box she uses.

As for food, switching to canned food or raw is probably a good way to start if this is FD. I've found that cats I've adopted who were outdoor kitties like raw food, those that have come to my home from indoor only homes, tend not to like it. That's just my house though, others may have better experiences.

My most current adopted diabetic Mr. Darcy, presently eats raw food and actually went into remission on canned food, he is insulin free and has been since I got him.

4. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Maaryon's Topaz is a feral, and she has been able to both shoot and test her for years now. Please don't give up the idea of insulin. Bonnie Dune may need it for only a short time if you change her diet and start early.

5. Bonnie Dune

Bonnie Dune New Member

Hillary & Maul, tucker's mom, Gia and Quirk ~ Thank you all for your replies :0) !!
    We found a homeopathic vet in the next town over before they closed last night. Bonnie is scheduled for full blood work next week !! In the meantime... our freezer now has ice cube trays of home made cat food :0)
    We purchased a powdered premix called "Instincts" - followed the instructions and added ground chicken meat and pureed chicken livers. She ate it right up !! And we are also weening her off of the dry stuff.
    I just smile to myself because I am a fledgling vegetarian and now I'm back at the market buying raw meat -
    Anything for Bonnie ~~~ you gotta let a cat be a cat :0)
    I do want to shop around and find meat that is humanely farmed, free range... . You gotta let a bird be a bird too.
    Thank you all for support and well wishes ~
    Sincerely,
    Bonnie's mom :0)

6. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

You didn't mention taurine, calcium and the other supplements cats need. Take a look at the recipe for homemade food at www.catinfo.org to double check that your good girl is getting everything she needs.

7. Bonnie Dune

Bonnie Dune New Member

Thanks for the heads up Gia and Quirk -
    Looks like I will be getting a meat grinder :0) The article also mentioned "Instincts". And I like the thought of buying meat from a local rabbit supplier. And par boiling chicken thighs from Whole Foods ~
    On a great up note :0) Bonnie is quite chipper and the peeing is just about normal ! But she is getting full blood work next week and I am curious to see the results. I need to add that this all came about suddenly in the last few weeks.. and I had just gotten some cat treats from Trader Joe's and am wondering if maybe that put her over the edge? But the outcome to move her to a natural raw diet is very real to me - and glad we are here now.
    Thanks all !!
    Bonnie and her family :0)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.