Fever--Suzie has Gone Ahead

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by traceyg, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traceyg

traceyg Member

Anyone here have any good tips of how to get a fever down. Suzie has been to the vet. She is on an anitbiotic shot that lasts for 2 weeks. that was Thursday Afternoon. She still seems to be running a fever. I can't get her to the new vet myself and it is Sunday she isn't in. The old vet well she isn't in either. I have been giving her some water with a syrgine. I thought about Sbqs but I don't know how to do them. She also has an enlarged heart so that could be dangerous. I have been wiping her head down with a cool cloth. For now she seems a little better. I got her to eat gave her some insulin. It amazes me that one little cat could have so many problems. It also amazes me the fight this cat has.

Anyway any tips on helping to get her fever down. Her head and ears are quite warm. Thanks, Tracey

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Re: Fever

Is there anyway to get Dr. Fry to give you a call? Baby aspirin is what I used once for a young cat's fever, but you would need a professional opinion given Suzie's other medical issues.

Have you taken her temp? Thermometer up the butt. Sorry.

If her temp is really high, she may need to go to the ER.

Given she's a water cat, you can put her in the sink or tub and give her a coolish bath. Not cold; wouldn't want to shock her.

V

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Alcohol on the foot pads are good fro cooling. However, you need to confirm that the temperature is really high and why it is not going down with the antibiotic. Maybe the antibiotic is not the right one.

4. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey, and, of course, you too, sweet warm Suzie,

You can also wipe her whole body down with a cool, damp wash cloth. It's what I did with three cats and a dog during the summer in a fifth floor walk-up with no AC... Just don't let her sit on that enamel table in front of the open window right after you wipe her down... It's kind of raw today here in the NorthEast... She doesn't need to catch a chill...

We're holding you both close in our thoughts, prayers, and hearts...

Much love and countless hopeful healing hugs for you and your darling, fighting furry girl,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz...

5. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey, and, of course, you too, sweet Suzie, Lady of The Feathers,

Just checking to see how you both are doing...

Much love and continued hopeful, healing hugs for you both,

6. traceyg

traceyg Member

She isn't doing well. I e-mailed Dr fry this morning. She did e-mail me back. She said to try the baby aspirin. However as of tonight Suzie is holding anything down real well. She has gotten much worse since our visit. I did manage to get some tuna into her. I don't want her to toss it up so I think for now I will skip the aspirin. I think the travel was to hard on her. She doesn't travel well. Dr fry does have another antibiotic at her house that she uses with the Feral cats. She said we can try that when she e-mailed me back. When I got in from work tonight I e-mailed her. So I will wait to hear back. Until them I will do what I can for Suzie here. I have some clavamox here from Missy but it is two years old so I am not sure that will help.

If her temp is really high, she may need to go to the ER.>>

There is no money left. I am in over 2,000 already with Suzie. Haven't paid the phone bill gas bill etc. Haven't even gotten my eye glaucoma drops etc. . . makes it hard to see and read with the pressure being up on the eye. Need to pay the used truck off I just got that I need for my business. Not complaining but the ER doesn't take IUO's. I would give the world for my cats but I don't have the world. Frankly I am not sure what to do. I spent what I had left on the visit to Dr Fry. If I need to put Suzie down I can't even do that right now at least not at an ER.

I managed to get enough food in her tonight to give her the insulin. Then I gave her the Blood pressure pill. For right now I am skipping the thyroid. Her thyroid has been normal with the pills. It wouldn't hurt to have it a little high for just a little while because it makes them want to eat. Not sure what else to do but wait it out and see what happens. Any other suggestions. She is sleeping on the porch it is nice and cool there. She fights when I bring her in so I am leaving her there.

7. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey, and, of course, our favorite Feather Girl, sweet Suzie,

Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear she's still feeling poorly... And, you too, dearest Tracey...

It so sucks when they're sick... Double sucks when you're sick too and there's simply no money...

How I wish I had a magic wand...

I do have hope! It tends to come when you least expect it, yet most need it. It is the nature of hope...

Please keep hope in your heart, dearest Tracey. I'm offering and willing every bit I have for your sweet girl to you...

Much love and countless hopeful, healing hugs for you and your furry girl who so loves her porch,

PS: If the Clavamox is two years old, don't give it, okay? One year old is one thing, two years old is simply too old...

PPS: Did Dr. Fry mention the name of that 2-week antibiotic shot she gave Suzie? Was is Convenia?

8. traceyg

traceyg Member

PPS: Did Dr. Fry mention the name of that 2-week antibiotic shot she gave Suzie? Was is Convenia?>>

Yes and I know people on this board have had some trouble with it. Venitia didn't like that we used that and I understand but Suzie poor little stomach I don't think could take oral antibiotics and she is about done with having me poke her an prod her. I am not sure if the Convenia is the issue or not.

Remember Suzie also blew a pupil about 5 days ago. Dr fry thinks it might be a tumor not sure. She has the high blood pressure, diabetes, hyerthyriod and now the blown pupil and the massive infection and a poor mom.

When she was diagnosed with diabetes I wanted to put her down then. she already has a lot of issues. My old vet talked me out of it. Now quite a bit of money and suffering later I am not sure it was worth it for Suzie. I really hate the idea that she will die having suffered so with almost no relief since the diagnoses. It does not seem fair to Suzie. She ought to get some benefit out of it since she was put through so much. Does that make sense?

I hate that my hands are tied and there is nothing I can do for her now. I put a bowl of her feathers around her. I also have food bowls and water bowls around her. Mostly I am trying to let her rest and not hover.

I don't k now what we will do at 3 Am for her shot then. She isn't eating much. Not sure what to do if she is still here tomorrow. I don't trust my old vet. Dr fry is to far away to take Suzie . . .

9. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

My dearest Tracey, and, of course, you too, sweet fighting Suzie,

I am so sorry to have upset you! That was never, ever my intention. Please, please, please understand that.

Please, please, please do not think the worst about your precious Suzie. The fighting spirit between you two is palpable. My heart feels it a state away... You two have set a whole new bar for dedication and fight...

Please do not give up. I believe in you both.

Please do not think the worst.

Much love and countless hopeful, healing hugs for you both,
    Deb

10. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Tracey, it wasn't that I didn't like it. It was that I wanted to make sure that you and the vet fully discussed the options and effects.

I so hope that Suzie comes of of this. I hope you are able to get her fever down, and that she starts eating. She is such a beautiful, sweet girl. Come on Suzie. Claw your way back!!

((((Tracey))))

11. traceyg

traceyg Member

Thanks Venitia. I hope she does also. I am not sure what it is. It could be the anti biotic but as Dr Fry said it is better then having the infection going to her Kidneys. The fever seems to have come down but she is out on her porch and it is a chilly night so that is most likely helping.

Actually if it is the Antibiotic that is better news then other things. I can work around that with Syringe water and food if I can figure that out without chocking her. Her kidneys are still working well.

What do I do about the Insulin? how much should she eat so I can give it to her. She just started new Insulin, a new blood pressure pill and the anti-biotic. She is going to need all the prayers and cheering she can get. Does any one have any of the special food they use at Vets office when they syringe feed. It is high in nutrient and calories. that would help if I can get a hold of some.

Since it appears her appetite is sluggish I stopped the thyroid meds for tonight.

12. traceyg

traceyg Member

I am so sorry to have upset you! That was never, ever my intention. Please, please, please understand that.>>

You haven't upset me. Just trying to figure out what the next move is for this fighting spirit of Suzie. I am sure a lot of people on this board think I should put her down. I am not sure about that myself but we will just go an hour at a time right now. . .

13. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Even if the ER isn't an option, you should still take her temperature so you know how serious the fever is. Yoda had a low grade one the other week due to not metabolizing his stomatitis meds well. He was bright pink, pukey, fur falling out, warm to the touch, etc..and only had a temp of 103.1, which is not dire, but more something to keep monitoring.

When did the fever come up? Was it within a day of the convenia shot? If so, I am thinking allergic reaction. You might also try a 1/4 of a regular benadryl tablet if the fever lined up with the shot, just to rule that out. If the benedryl will help, you will see a difference within 24 hours.

14. traceyg

traceyg Member

the fever seems to be down. She has had a fever on and off now for quite a while. I don't think it has anything to do with the antibiotic. I kept trying to get my old vet to check her for infection because her ears were always hot and red. I still am banging my head against the wall for staying with her so long. Dr Fry thinks the lethargy might be related to whatever is going on with her brain that is making her one eye not re-act to light. I don't think so. I think it is the anti biotic.

Perhaps that is just hopeful thinking. She suggested kitten food higher in calories etc. She has another anti biotic that I can pick up at her house tomorrow. She won't be there but will leave it on the porch. I think I am going to wait and see what happens. If it is a reaction to the anit biotic and I give her more anti biotics it could make it worse wouldn't you think? The more I think about it the more I think the lack of eating has to do with the anti-biotic shot. Dr fry said the new blood pressure meds also could do that while she adjusts but we have to get her blood pressure down.

I am okay with the antibiotic being the cause of her symptoms. there is hope there then. There is no hope with a brain tumor. I syringe feed her a little kitten food tonight I got a little attitude that is a good sign.

Suzie and i really need a cheering section. I thank you guys for that. I know she is just one little cat and you are all tired of hearing about her but she so much seems to still want to be here but also feel better too. I understand that. I told Suzie she has a lot of people on her side. She is an amazing fighter. It puts me at awe. I was ready to give up a long time ago. I am very tired but I am trying to leave the ball in her park.

I tell her the encouragement you guys give her and I really thinks she understands. I think animals understand a lot more in some ways the we do.

15. traceyg

traceyg Member

It is 3 AM Suzie sugar is almost 500. She isn't eating and it is time. Did the anti-biotic kill her or the two years of hyperthyroidism, the diabetes, the massive infection, the high blood pressure or the reason her eye won't dilate. I don't know all I know is that this is got to end for her. . . I don't know what vet I will take her too. It just has to end. I am not sure if I would treat a cat with diabetes again. I am very grateful for all your help here and it won't go forgotten. Unless Suzie rallies in the next few hours I just can't keep doing this to her.

16. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey, and, of course, you too, sweet Lady Suzie of The Feathers,

I think the food you mentioned is Hill's A/D. It is chock full of calories. Would it be possible to go to her old vet, without Suzie, and purchase a few cans? Or, does the ER hospital near you sell special food? You could ask Dr. Fry to call in a scrip for it. That way, you wouldn't have to deal with her old vet...

Any kitten food is also good. Lots of protein and calories.

Please know we're all rooting for you both, Tracey. You and Suzie have touched so many many hearts... I think it's your collective fighting spirits! Or, perhaps it's that we so feel the love you have for your most special, special needs furry girl...

Keeping you both close in my heart and hopeful, healing thoughts and prayers...

Much love and as many hopeful, healing hugs as you both can handle,

17. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey,

My apologies. I must have been responding when you posted Suzie's latest update...

You know your precious furry girl better than anyone on the planet. If she's telling you it's time, then it is...

You have been her champion for so long now... I know you'll do what's best for her...

Please know how close you both are in my heart, thoughts, and prayers, Tracey... Please know that...

Much love and countless courageous hugs for you both,

18. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to see this update, Tracey, and I hold you closely whatever decision you and Suzie make this morning.

I don't think the antibiotic "killed her." I am sorry that I upset you in the vet's office when I mentioned the cautions about it. I think given all the circumstances of the day, you and Dr. Fry made the right decision.

Even though Suzie is not eating, I believe I would give her an insulin shot at a BG level in the very high 400s. She is not going to have a sugar crash from that level.

My best advice, but it is for you to accept or not, is to try the oral antibiotic with her. I think it is the infection that is draining her system now. I believe that Dr. Fry said 3 days for the Covenia to completely kick in. Those 3 days have passed. The Covenia is not working, or not working well, on the infection.

((((Tracey))))

19. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

((((Tracey))))

I am so sorry, and I hope that sweet Suzie has rallied ... but if not, please know that you did all you could- and more- for that sweet girl. I really believe that there is more than diabetes going on, with the hyperT and the high blood pressure complicating things, and the possible tumour and infection .... this is not your typical "uncomplicated" diabetes. You have always done what Suzie needed, and if it *is* time, we know that you will do what needs to be done. We support whatever decision you choose, and we are here for you if you need us.

20. traceyg

traceyg Member

You have always done what Suzie needed, and if it *is* time, we know that you will do what needs to be done. We support whatever decision you choose, and we are here for you if you need us.>>

Thank you. I made the call this morning. I am waiting for them to call me back with a time. This is so very hard. I can't see putting her through anymore. Was it the antibiotic that tossed her over the edge. Perhaps. Perhaps this is a more merciful way for her then dragging it out. She really had about had it with all the pills, the testing and the shots. However she put up with more then any other cat I know would have.

I told her to leave me know if there is anything on the other side. To leave me some feathers in her bowl to let me know she is okay if she can. I hope I can drive safely over there between the tears

21. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Tracey, I am so, so sorry to hear this. You and Miss Suzie have been through so much and tried so hard. She has been the bravest little kitty and you have been the strongest mom. Now you can give her the greatest gift - leaving with your love surrounding her. Cyber hugs and many healing thoughts are headed your way.

22. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers for a peaceful crossing.

23. traceyg

traceyg Member

Thank you Suzie is gone now. I think she was really ready. I want to thank everyone. Suzie really did try there was just to much going on. I guess I will always second guess if I would have done this if I would have done that. I miss her so much already. Venitia a special thank you for all you did for Suzie and me. It won't go forgotten. I hope my feather girl is some where good now.

24. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Oh Tracey, you and Suzie tried so hard.......my heart goes out to you. There are those times when diabetes is the first disease to show up but in reality it truly is a secondary disease to a much larger probelm of which we may never know. You gave her a loving home and she knew how deeply loved she was. This is just so heartbreaking to read because you fought such a fight to save her. She was a beautiful, beautiful cat and you have my deepest and most heartfelt sympathy on her passing wings_cat

Picture of a beautiful Suzie
    http://www.griffithsprayerchaplets.com/abay/suzii.jpg

[​IMG]

25. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

My dearest Tracey,

I want you to know that your love for Suzie made me want to be a better mom. It is Suzie's legacy to Nikki...

Please accept my heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies. And, please be gentle with yourself... Your grieving heart will need some time to mend. But, there will come a day, when out of the blue, you'll find yourself smiling... It will be because your heart is suddenly flooded with good memories of your precious furry girl... I know there are many such wonderful memories because we've all been privileged to read the stories you've shared with us...

And, yes, your beloved feather girl is somewhere good now...

Fly free, sweet Suzie, little Lady of The Feathers! Wear your gorgeous new wings proudly! You've earned them... Please visit your mommy's dreams to let her know you're okay now and running free once again... Gizzie can tell you how to do that... She'll also make sure you get that feather boa...

Much love and countless gentle hugs for you, dearest Tracey,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever whispering in my heart...

Poem For Cats

And God asked the feline spirit
    Are you ready to come home?
    Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
    And, as a cat, you know I am most able
    To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
    Soon, replied the whiskered angel
    But I must come slowly
    For my human friends are troubled
    For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? asked God
    That you'll never leave them?
    That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
    That nothing is created or destroyed?
    It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
    Replied the glorious cat
    For I will whisper into their hearts
    That I am always with them
    I just am....forever and ever and ever.

Author Unknown

26. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dearest Tracey...where have I been???? I cannot believe I missed this and I am so so so sorry. Please know you are not alone with the feelings you've gone thru...and the feelings you will go thru. We go thru them with you. We have all gone thru them.
    And sweet Suzie we know you are physically gone but you will let your mommie know your presence can never really go away..you are in mommie's heart and all aroung the house...you always will be.
    (((((((Tracy))))))
    My heart just sank Tracey when I read thru this thread.

27. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

(((((Tracey))))) What can I say? You fought so hard for Suzie, and she fought so hard for herself and for you. She is a most beautiful soul.

With tears....

Fly free, my dearest Suzie. I kiss your head as you float toward the bridge, to wait there for the only true Mom you have ever known. Please send her a sign, letting her know you are well and happy, and to remind her of your love, which she will always keep in her heart. wings_cat

28. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Tracey, I have been following you and Suzies story and want you to know how deeply sorry I am. I went through MUCH the same thing not too long ago.

My Waldo fought but had just had enough with, the pills, the Vet visits...I like you just couldnt put him through it anymore.. I'm bawling like a baby writing this but I want you to know, one day, you will "SEE" this was the right choice for your baby. I love and miss my Waldo with all my heart. I too hope, we will be reunited some day.

It is our duty, it hurts like hell and we second guess ourselves about ten times a day but it's what we signed up for. THIS is what true love is all about, giving that final act of love. My heart goes out to you. Suzie is thanking you.

Sharing tears,
    jeanne and Waldo

29. sharon and sparky

sharon and sparky Member

So sorry for your loss. Fly Free Beautiful Suzie>>>>>>>>>>>> rb_icon <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

30. traceyg

traceyg Member

Thanks everyone. I guess I am still in whatever. I started cleaning up her feathers. I didn't know how many she had. She was so young for so many problems. I want to run to the vet and yell give her back to me but I know that can't happen. What killed her I don't know. If I would have gotten her to Dr fry earlier, perhaps a different antibiotic but I don't think so. She has three major issues and a lot of minor ones. I hope I did the right thing I will miss her. . .

I wish I knew were they go after they die . . .

31. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

The Rainbow Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head. You look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together…

Author Unknown​

32. traceyg

traceyg Member

Is there any way I can get Suzie Prozinc to someone that can use it. It hardly was used only a few days? the humlin I don't mind tossing but I will wait with the Prozinc until I here back.

Venitia please PM me I am not sure how to do that I would like to get some supplies back to you etc. . . Again I want to thank you so much for both your trips up here. Since Suzie didn't make it I sure hope you don't think it was a waste of you time. It meant a lot to give it a try. It I think was all to much and perhaps to much chance at one time . . .

33. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

(((((Tracey))))))

I am so very sorry that it was Suzie's time to leave you, you both fought with all your mighty, but sometimes even the mightest of warrioresses get tired.

Your Suzie's story reminded me so much of my extra sweet girl Muse, like Suzie she just had so much going on besides just her diabetes, that when diabetes finally raised its head it was just one battle too many for my valiant girl too. I just know that Muse was waiting right there by the Bridge when Suzie arrived so she could show her the ropes.

Its natural to want to second guess yourself, but I know you did everything you could for your precious Suzie, please don't beat yourself up with the if I could of,should have or what ifs. That isn't what your girl would want of you, she wants you to be happy so that when she slips into your dreams or sends you a wonderful rainbow, she can look down on you and see that brilliant smile that she knows so well.

Mel, Max & The Fur Gang

34. traceyg

traceyg Member

when diabetes finally raised its head it was just one battle too many for my valiant girl too>>

Yes I think it was to much for Suzie. I have been crying since last night. I just can't seem to stop. I am so used to the world here revolving around Suzie. I always want to get up and check on her etc. . . It feels like my heart is going to pound out of my chest.

Someone e-mailed fairchild today found some baby kittens in a wall. Dr Fry was telling me about it but I just can't right now. I am exhausted myself. My other 4 cats need some attention. This is the second cat death I have gone through in a short time. I just can't . . .

I think angel Suzie sisters misses her also. Venitia met Angel. She seems to be looking for her. Do you think they understand. . . . I feel bad for Angel. . .

35. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

36. traceyg

traceyg Member

Thank you for the candle. Thank your for including angel. She seems to be looking all over for Suzie. i have so many photos of them together. I found them both at the same time. The Kitten knows something is different but has not figured out what yet. Mr Blue and Pudding also seem to be a little sad tonight. Angel I am concerned about. her and Suzie have been together since the day they were born. [​IMG] She is sitting her right now looking so sad just looking around . . .

37. Donna & Shiloh (GA)

Donna & Shiloh (GA) Member

I am so sorry for the loss of your special kitty, Suzie. I know how hard it is to make that decision. I had to make the same decision last month when I felt my Shiloh had had enough. I still cry every day. I know noe he is not suffering and that makes me glad, but I sure miss him. ((HUGS)) Donna

38. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

May all your wonder memories of Suzie bring you comfort...

...'til you meet again.

39. traceyg

traceyg Member

I still cry every day. > yes I can't stop. With the work I do with Ferals etc I know that Suzie was lucky. However I can't help but to ask things like what if I had a better vet. What if I had been more informed. I not sure how you all do it. I am exhausted.

40. traceyg

traceyg Member

Looking for ideas. I would like to do something in memory of Suzie. Something lastings.
    I have to catch up a little here and get myself taken care of and my cat with the heart problems but I would like to do something so Suzie and her spirit will be remembered for a very long time. She was sick for a long time. In the last 6 months or so it was easily 1,000 dollars a month. She had a lot of stuff going on. The major ones we talked about here but there were a lot of minor ones also. It all costs bucks. Anyway, after I get caught up I would like to do something to remeber her but not sure what so just looking for ideas. I know how hard it is to keep a cat alive with mulitple issues perhaps something for or with something like that.

I thought about doing something with the feral work I do to remember Suzie but that just doesn't really seem to fit . . .

41. LoveMySmokey

LoveMySmokey Member

I just wanted to say I'm sorry for the loss of your precious Suzie.

I've never had to put a cat to sleep before but we did have to put our dog to sleep about a year and a half age because of cancer. We miss him dearly but we know he is no longer suffering. Our other dog was so lost for awhile but we just made sure to give her extra attention and she did alright.

42. traceyg

traceyg Member

I just wanted to say I'm sorry for the loss of your precious Suzie.>>

Thank you. she was my feather girl. I did find one little feather at the strangest place today. Inside my garage were there should be no feathers. Suzie LOVED feathers. I have gone through this before and it hurt really hurt. For some reason this one seems to hurt more. I understand now what you all mean by getting attached to a sugar baby. There is a bond it builds.

Anyway Not sure if it means anything but I did want to leave you all know about the feather that were following Suzie story. I told her if she is trying to get amessage to me and I have a very thick head that she better send me a lot more feathers. Then perhaps I can believe there is something good for her, for any of us after all the suffering. . .

43. jt and trouble (GA)

Tracey if you would like to light a cyber candle for Suzie just click the link in my signature. I do this because I have asthma and cannot be around real candles. Just in case you were interested.

Many blessings,
    jeanne

44. Raineycat

Raineycat New Member

We lost our beloved Little Miss Witchie less than a month ago {kidney failure}. She'd been bossing her 'cousins' around for 12 years when she just lost her strength due to a kidney/bladder infection. Nothing the vet did could help her. When it was time, when her pain became too much for her little body to bear, we were holding her at the vet. She fell asleep in my arms, listening to me sing. It was the last thing she heard.
    I don't accept any religion that excludes our animal companions. No human alive today knows what is on the other side. If there is anything, I believe that our primitive human minds can't comprehend it.
    Having said that, the only "afterlife" explanation that has resonance for me is the Rainbow Bridge. Our wonderful beloveds, all playing together, healthy and happy, waiting for the sound of our voices and the sight of our faces. Yes, by most religious standards I am an atheist, but in this one small way I hold onto the hope that those I love will one day somehow return to me.
    Cats, dogs, ferrets, horses, a baby raccoon and his pal, the baby skunk ..... Heaven can never heaven be if my animals aren't there at my side.
    My heart cries for Suzie and her human, but I see her restored to the peak of health, pouncing on my Fluffy and having her fur groomed by the adoring Willie. And if our 'Bridge Kids' could send us a message, I think it might be a version of the one message that has been the core of all belief systems across time:
    "You treated us with love and compassion. You fed us when we were hungry, let us cower under the covers with you when we were afraid of the lightening monster, played with us, talked to us when you were lonely, shared your favorite meals with us, let us sleep next to you and hog the bed, cried into our fur so we could purr you back to happiness and lick away the tears, and when the time came to say goodbye, you held us close so we could drift off without pain or fear, because we knew we were always safest in your arms.
    "Beloved people, you did unto us as you would have done unto you.
    And some way, somehow, we will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge, our hearts full of love, our coats muddy, the smell of somebody's compost pile on our breath, a mouse tail caught on a back tooth, and all the love and kindness and devotion you gave to us will come back to you as you once again hold us in your arms."

The terrible suffering that comes from losing a cherished animal companion is far better than what we would be if we never allowed ourselves to love even one of those who do not think and reason exactly like us, but fill our hearts in a way no member of our own species can.

-- Raineycat, Velvet Elvis, Kaboodle, Simon & Milo ..... and the Bridge Kids

45. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

My dearest Tracey,

My heart melted reading about you finding one little feather in the strangest place. I truly believe Suzie sent that feather to you.

She wants you to know she's okay now. She wants you to be okay too...

Much love and countless gentle hugs,
    Deb and Nikki -- and, Giz, forever whispering in my heart and ordering pizza and Yung Chow Fried Rice (because it has the best shrimp) at The Bridge...

46. traceyg

traceyg Member

You treated us with love and compassion. You fed us when we were hungry, let us cower under the covers with you when we were afraid of the lightening monster, played with us, talked to us when you were lonely, shared your favorite meals with us, let us sleep next to you and hog the bed, cried into our fur so we could purr you back to happiness and lick away the tears, and when the time came to say goodbye, you held us close so we could drift off without pain or fear, because we knew we were always safest in your arms.>>

Thank you this was helpful. I just saw they have a pet loss forum here. I think I will go there now as I don't belong in the health form anymore. I grew up Mennonite. They would think it so silly to be sad over an animals death. Most of them anyway.

i tried to work today. I am so exhausted all I could do was sleep. I can't believe all of a sudden how exhuasted I am. I had two very challanging cats that required a lot of time. I guess now that both are gone my body is saying I need to take a break but does that make sense. . . I can't understand it with people but with animals . . . I miss both Missy and Suzie. I never had time to grieve Missy she died a few months ago but there was so much going on with Suzie I couldn't take the time to say goodbye.

The last few months I have only been sleeping a few hours a day to keep up with the medical needs and the vet bills. Put a lot of hours in working. I feel like someone that was a caretaker for a person and all of a sudden my body can crash. I am not sure that makes sense.

I am glad I found this forum to help Suzie for the few months she had Diabetes. She really was great cat. I want to thank you all again. I wish I would have found it long before I did. The great thing about this site and some of the others is it can educate people when the vet refuse to or just are to plain stubborn to see that diabetes can be treated.

Thanks again to everyone from me and Suzie.

47. traceyg

traceyg Member

I just had to share one more thing with the board here. For those of you who followed the short time Suzie was here you know she was quite a feather girl. I kept telling her that after she passed on that she should send me some feathers or put feathers in her bowl. Something to let me know she is okay. The other day I found a feather in the strangest place but it was just one little feather. Dare I hope. No I think not. I told Suzie you know how thick headed your mom is. If you are going to send me a message it needs to be LOTS of feathers. Yes I talk to Suzie even though she is gone it helps me. I stopped in the good will today to drop some thing off and as I was walking out the door I saw this strange thing jammed in the shelf. I couldn't help to notice it.

[​IMG]

Now that is a lot of feathers. Does it mean anything I don't know never saw anything like it. The chicken has lots of real feathers. I brought it home now I have feathers all over the place. They come off easily. Suzie would love it. I don't know if it is a "message" from suzie or not but it does make me smile a bit. If she could send a message I think perhaps she would send one that has a sense of humor and is kind of cute.

Came home set out five plates of food. Then I realized after all these years I only have 4 cats left.

Anyway sorry to post here again but for the ones here that followed Suzie and her feathers I just had to show you the feathered Chicken. Not sure what to make of it but it makes me smile a bit.

48. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

My dearest Tracey,

There is no doubt in my mind or heart that your precious Suzie, our Lady of The Feathers, had something to do with you finding that feathered chicken jammed in that shelf. Why? Because she senses your grief and aching heart and wants to remember your smile. Better yet, she wants you to remember your smile...

The love that you both shared still endures and will forever... It's just from both sides of The Bridge now...

I love Suzie's sense of humor. I love it even more that she wants you to remember that. She's very healing...

Please don't ever feel you have to apologize for posting here, dearest Tracey. Never. Ever.

And, please embrace the gift of a bit of a smile sweet Suzie gave you today. She might send more messages and gifts... Just leave your heart open to receive them...

Love endures.

Much love and continued countless gentle hugs,

49. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Tracey,

I'm with Deb on this one...Yep that is from Suzie I'm sure of it. Why do I believe it with every fiber of my being? Because isn't that just like something she would do if she could? Not only was it lots of feathers and you asked her for lots of feathers, and they come off so easily. Our furry angels send us messages every day, we just have to be willing to not only look for them but to have an open enough heart to receive them.

Muse has been gone almost a year now, but she still reminds me that she is still very much in my life. Thankfully not as dramatically as she did when she first past...some on the Community will remember my lovely angel's special gift back then....but since you weren't here way back then I'll retell it. Muse sent me her very own grand-daughter. Yep in the flesh, I know of no other way a very tiny kitten could have made it to my front yard had not for her grand-kitty guidance. You see I live in a college town and Sunny's mom was going home for summer break when she was in a very bad car accident with Sunny in the car. Sunny's carrier was crushed but somehow, this wee kitten not only survived but ended up 5 miles from the crash site under my lilac bush.

To make a long story short, I found the kitten was microchipped, got a hold of her owner's mother and found out about the accident, during the conversation I mentioned Muse's pedigree name. only to have the woman on the other end of the phone gasp. She knew the name, for it was on Sunny's pedigree as Grand-mother on her sire's side.
    I hadn't known much about Muse's past back then but knew she had been a show cat that lost her first family in hurricane Katrina, never occurred to me that she might have been bred before I adopted her. I had told Muse the day I buried her that I regretted not knowing what her life had been like before me, but I hoped she had been loved as much as I loved her, and that she had people waiting for her at the bridge. It was through her grand-daughter that I was given all those missing pieces. They found pictures of her from her show days, and as a kitten herself. I even now have a picture of her with her first mom and dad, and could see how much they adored her.

So yes, Tracey they do hear us even if they are waiting us at the bridge. So talk to Suzie whenever you like, she is listening, she knows the voice of your heart.

Muse and one of my other GAs I'm pretty sure conspired to give me my last gift. And he is my avatar now....Lord Maxwell, you see he looks exactly like my very first kitty that was all my own as an adult, who was also a Max, but he too is a Katrina rescue and a diabetic. Now what are the odds that he would be both if not for divine intervention? Sure Venita and Claudia got him to me, but from the day he stepped his first paw in my house he has slept where only Muse slept on my pillow, he has several habits that were only Muse's and several others that belonged only to my Max the First. And there have been many many cats inbetween Maxwell and Max the First, and there are 9 others here now, but none of them have any of the habits that he displays that belong up until now to just Muse and Max the First.

And with Lord Maxwell...I got to do the one thing that I so desperately wanted to do for Muse....Lord Maxwell is diet controlled and has been since practically the first day I got him. I only ever gave him 2 doses of insulin. He taught me what I needed for myself, that I could do it, that I could dance with a sugarcat and get all the steps right. I had felt before that, that in someway I was the failure. That I let Muse down. So she sent me Maxwell to tell me ....No Mom,it was just my time to leave...my other family was waiting. And I love you...If I thought you were a failure or that you let me down, I wouldn't have sent you my grand-child and another Katrina kitty to dance with.

Dearest Tracey, keep your eyes and heart open, and Suzie will continue to show you that she is with you, for she lives on forever in your heart. For love never dies, it just changes form.

Mel, Max and the Fur Gang

50. traceyg

traceyg Member

Please don't ever feel you have to apologize for posting here, dearest Tracey. Never. Ever. ..
    >>

thank you since I no longer have a diabetic cat (AT LEAST that I know of) I feel a little strange posting here but i have notice just like on the fip threads this form is so much more then diabetes. . .

hope you and yours are doing well, tracey

51. traceyg

traceyg Member

Muse sent me her very own grand-daughter.>>

THANK YOU so much for sharing that. it is amazing. i have a book here some where that i bought a long time ago when my first cat died. we spent 21 years together lady and i. i think you would enjoy it i also think the author would like to hear you story so when i find it i WILL POST the title here.

sorry for the bad typing. I was unloading 360 pounds of scrap medal yesterday and cut off the tip of a finger. not a big deal but kind of hard to type. all these guys were unloading also so i wasn't going to stop and look like a sissy. i was the only girl, well woman.

i still come home and put five plates out. i miss suzie so much. she was sick for a few years. even when venitia came up i think i knew in my heart she was going to be gone soon. i can blame a lot of things dr jones, the antibitoc but she was very sick. she was really sick when i found her many years ago. my little feral bottle baby. she always had problems. the diabetes was just something new to all the rest. she had the hyperthyriod and high blood pressure for a few years. along with a few other things. it just doesn't seem fair. seems she got the raw end of the stick. yet i know it could have been so much worse as i see the awful things that happen to ferals and unwanted cats.

I also wonder if some how she knew i just didn't know how much longer I COULD do it. keeping her alive was expensive but worth every penny by then end though i had tapped all the resources. bewteen her and missy. another cat i lost not to long ago from cancer.

thank you so much for that wonderful story. it does help. i wonder if anyone else has similiar experiences.

52. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Tracey,

You have much to give and much to teach us all... We are a family.

Much love and countless gentle hugs,

53. traceyg

traceyg Member

it is a week today that my dear sweet suzie is gone . . . . at this time last week she only had a few hours left of life. . . i really do miss her. . .

54. traceyg

traceyg Member

Hopefully someone will check in here. I started a thread on what happens to a pet after they die on one of the other message boards here the title was grief. I have been trying to find it again for two days. the forum isn't very active but I thought what the hang. Perhaps I am going nuts I can't find it. anyone know how to get to it. thanks

55. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

tracy i saw it a few days ago..let me see if i can find it and link it for you

56. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

57. jt and trouble (GA)

Yes Lori.

Tracy the forum is "Grief"

58. traceyg

traceyg Member

Thank you I have been trying to find the link for I think three days now. For a minute I thought I was losing my mind. It still breaks my heart that Suzie is gone but I know she was one of the lucky ones. Not sure if in the end the choices I made were right or wrong. I am still beating myself up about that. However dealing with feral cats the way I do I can tell you that I have held to many in my arms that have died horrible deaths after having a pretty rough time of a life in the city. I would really like to know where they all go. Especially the ferals. After such a rough life I would hope if there is any mercy in the world for these creatures that there would be a heaven.

Suzie died young at nine but she was spared a horrible death much earlier in life by being one of the lucky ones that found someone and found someone that could give her a home.

Sometimes with the ferals I wonder what kind of good and merciful "God" could leave something so innocent have so much pain. I also wondered about that all the years I was a child and youth advocate. . . but that is another story . . .

Anyway thanks for directing me to the link. I really would love to know where my sweet, wonderful Suzie is. . . does she know I still love her. That a memory is not enough . . . that I missy holding her and miss seeing her sitting at my feet while I type but most of all I miss the feathers. . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.