? FF Broths - Negative carbs on the calculator?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shiloh & Rhonda (GA), Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

I assume that means it is low carbs? I got a free sample and thought I would see how she likes it.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Quite possibly.
    But if the label shows 'guaranteed analysis' percentages then these may not be exact (these are minimum/maximum amounts).
    For the actual current 'as fed' values you'd need to contact the manufacturer (or sometimes the manufacturer's website has the current values).

How do the ingredients look? Any source of carbs listed there?

3. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Fish broth, tuna, shrimp, fish extract(?), whitefish, modified tapioca starch, potato starch, wheat starch, sugar, salt, soy protein, vegetable oil, guar gum, carrageenan, Vitamin E supplement, egg whites, spice and coloring.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I think the tapioca and potato starches have fairly high glycemic values. It would depend on exactly how much of each is in the food so you'd have to get the "as fed" values to figure out whether this is low carb food or not. Sometimes what the manufacturers suggest is low carb isn't as low as we need for our sugar babies and sometimes specific ingredients like those 2, can elevate sugar levels even though the combined carb count is considered low.

5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I would say that list makes it likely not low carb. When it actually lists that there is sugar in there, it makes me concerned, and its following 3 starches.

6. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Thanks Melanie. I can save it for a HC situation then, probably?

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'd use Karo or the gravy off a Fancy Feast Gravy Lover's food for HC needs.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with BJM....since we don't know for sure what the carb percentage is (and there are several kinds of those broths and different ones are going to be different carb %) I think it's better to stick with the Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers or Karo/honey/syrup if you need to bring up numbers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.