Finally got a test done!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CassAndGordy(GA), Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I can give Gordy his shot with no issues, but man, getting a BG test done was torture.

BUT (sorry, i am excited lol), i finally got a successful one tonight! Lets hope to many more :]

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

WTG!! [​IMG]

The first successful BG test is always a memorable occasion. It really does get easier as you go along...not always right away, but little by little it will become just another routine chore. I never would have believed that when I first started, but it IS true. :)

Now that you have started testing, you can see if you can get your spreadsheet set up so that you can record your tests. The spreadsheet is such a valuable tool to be able to see how well the insulin and dose is working. Instructions for setting it up are here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

and an explanation how it works are here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

If you need any help with it just ask..there are a number of spreadsheet "gurus" that can get you set up very quickly.

With Vetsulin, it is important to test before each shot, since Vetsulin can bring numbers down quite quickly. When you do a pretest shot make sure Mr Gordy has not had any food for at least 2 hours before the test. This will makes sure that the preshot number is not affected by food, Also with Vetsulin it is best to test then feed about 1/2 hour before giving the shot, to make sure that your kitty will eat and so that there is food on board before the insulin hits.

You are well on your way to taking control of your kitty's diabetes. Well done!! :bighug::bighug:

Daphne and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Daphne

Daphne Member

Awesome, congratulations on your first successful BG test! :D

Definitely do get your spreadsheet up. I've never been good about my spreadsheet so I've lost countless BG readings. Not keeping up with my spreadsheet is my biggest regret in caring for Link's diabetes. Don't be like me. :(

Tuxedo Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  4. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I'll be setting up the spreadsheet tomorrow. :) I'm writing down everything for now. I got a second one done last and another this morning before food. I'm hoping Gordy is warming up to idea. He gets set in patterns pretty easy. :)

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are doing great!! It took me several weeks with my first FD kitty for him (me) to settle into the routine and you are just rolling along right from the start!! WTG!!

If you have any questions about the readings you can post them anytime, even if you don't have your spreadsheet set up yet! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.