First AMPS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hales + Comet, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hales + Comet

Hales + Comet Member

The vet did not want us taking his BG every day as she said it is unlikely to change with his diet being exactly the same every day (although after reading on here im not sure I agree). Today we are doing our curve and I did our first reading before I fed and did the shot (we feed and then do shot after) and it was 130. Now I am wary about giving him insulin because his BG is in our goal zone? will that change after feeding? Should I recheck after he eats before shot?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Sorry no one answered you, What did you do? In these early stages we recommend you not give any insulin if PS is below 200. I see you were going to do a curve today, even without a shot those numbers will be good to see. Can you get you spreadsheet set up?

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I only check BG before each shot, not right after eating. I also periodically take BGs between shots. I do that a lot more for a new cat, I get an unexpected preshot BG, or if the cat is not acting right.
    By acting right I mean sick or acting strange like BG is going too low. Last December my Nala was not present, like my other cats, for nightly treat of a little cheese. I finally found her in a cat tube and she was acting strange and making strange noises. I measured her BG and my human meter displayed Lo which means BG is <20. I syringe fed her Kero and dry food. She recovered and since then she has not needed insulin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.