First BG failed, need advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenn C + Henry, Jan 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenn C + Henry

Jenn C + Henry New Member

Had to lancet twice and by the time I got enough blood on strip my meter had turned off!!! Any suggestions???

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Here are some helpful hints:
    • warm the kitty's ear well first: a clean old sock with some dry rice in the toe, tied off and heated in the microwave works well (check the warmth on yourself for safety) as a heat pack
    • make sure you have larger gauge lancets (26 - 28 gauge work better than 30 - 31 gauge)
    • try free handing the poke instead of using the trigger device
    • put a very thin smear of Vaseline or antibiotic ointment on the poke area to help the blood bead up
    • insert the test strip only part way into the meter so it doesn't time out on you. Once you have a good blood droplet, push the strip in all the way and test.
    There are more tips here:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  3. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

You can also scoop the drop of blood into a clean fingernail, reinsert the strip into the meter and test it from there. The tips that Kris gave are spot on. Especially getting the ear warm enough this time of year.

Have you tried again today, and had any success? Fingers crossed for you and Henry (which is also the name of my little tri-pawd spitfire :D )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.