911 First Day Home from ER: Not Eating!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SamIams, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamIams

SamIams New Member

Hi Everyone,
    my cat Boo was just diagnosed with diabetes after a bad reaction to steroids for his asthma - that's all fine now. He spent three days (two night) at the pet emergency room who got his ketones down and his sugars under control. They released him yesterday after he started eating and responding well to treatment. Now it's the first day home and he has no interest in eating. He had his last 1cc shot at 4PM Tuesday and now it is noon on Wednesday. He's also on antibiotics but he seemed fine with them yesterday in terms of appetite. I don't know what to do. I called back to the vets and they said (rather vaguely) to take him to my vet later - HOW MUCH LATER!?
    Suggestions, please!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Antibiotics and cause GI upset and in inappetence. What antibiotic was prescribed?

3. SamIams

SamIams New Member

Amoxil but he was on it yesterday and still ate while at the vets and hasn't had one since yesterday afternoon - they're so big I have to chop it up and put in his food but of course he's not eating so he's not getting his antibiotic either.

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday it wasn't yet affecting his stomach. How's his bg? Offer him different things - tuna, meat baby food (no onions/garlic), boiled chicken are a few suggestions.

Your 'later' question...me, I'd assume that means as soon as I can get him in. You need something for an upset stomach....ask them too about a smaller pill even if you have to get a prescription and fill it at a human pharmacy. The amox is the same for humans as for animals...

5. SamIams

SamIams New Member

He just ate a tablespoon or more of roast chicken - do I give him a shot? This is all too confusing.
    I don't have a meter so no idea his bg.

6. SamIams

SamIams New Member

Called vet and they said if did not eat today (missed two meals) to bring him in tomorrow. Vet said he needed a 'full meal' before giving a shot but with the tablespoon + of roast chicken does that warrant a 1cc shot? ...exhausted...

7. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Without being able to check his bg level, giving any insulin risks a hypo event but with what Boo's been through, not having insulin onboard leaves him at risk for DKA and redevelopment of ketones. Ketones are caused by the body burning body fat instead of food. Without insulin, he can't convert that food, he'll potentially go back to burning fat. If at all possible, try to pick up a human meter and test strips or find a diabetic friend that will share their meter OR take him to vet and have them check his bg....I don't want Boo to have to go thru ketones again...

8. SamIams

SamIams New Member

That's great info Squeaky and KT - greatly appreciated. I will get a meter ASAP. Appreciate your concern.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I second @Squeaky and KT's recommendation to ask your vet to see Boo today to check his blood glucose levels and determine a safe dose of insulin that you can give to him. (Which insulin are you giving?)

Also I strongly recommend you get some Ketostix today so that you can keep testing Boo's urine for ketones at home. Ask your vet if s/he can give Boo something for nausea today; it could help a lot with the appetite issues. If you get a blood glucose meter we can quickly help you to learn how to test.

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  10. SamIams

SamIams New Member

Thanks everyone. This is ridiculous! I'm sick of getting different responses from different vets. Going to have to find ONE that knows cats and this condition. Heading off to emerg in a few minutes.

11. Barri & Sonny

Barri & Sonny Member

Hi!
    My cat was recently on Amoxil for 5 days (it was supposed to be a 10 day dose) He ate fine for a few days and then on the 4th day pretty much stopped eating and was vomiting water. His BG was also 509!! He was also severely dehydrated. Im convinced the Amoxil really upset his poor belly. He is eating small amounts now and is still a little sluggish...i am giving him 2 units to start getting his BG down....hope your baby feels better...just wanted to let you know my boy had pretty much the same reaction with the amoxil

12. ja9390

ja9390 Member

Diego was on Clavamox for a little cough. It was supposed to be a 14 day course but he was only on it for 7 when I took him off. Started out with him just throwing up a little bit at night time but then day 7 he was violently sick, puked all day long until there was nothing left in his stomach and then he spent the rest of his day heaving and bringing up clear fluid. Those antibiotics have a reputation for being very harsh on their systems.

13. SamIams

SamIams New Member

UPDATE: I called emerg, had the cat carrier out, tried one more time to feed him and he ate! He never was a big eater though so I plan on picking up a meter to check his insulin dosage. I'm slowing transitioning him to a 9AM/9PM feeding rather than the 6:30AM/6;30PM one he's on now and yes, he did have breakfast. Thank you for your personal stories and support. This is all still new and scary for me.

14. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So glad he ate.

15. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

The American Academy of Feline Practitioners has a site where you can plug in your zip code and find a vet who belongs to it, or cat friendly practices. While not fool proof, at least these vets are probably interested enough in feline medicine to join the association http://www.catvets.com/cat-owners/find-vets-and-practices. I know how frustrating it can be- for those lucky enough to live near an all feline practice, at least it is likely they see and treat feline diabetes.

Critter Mom likes this.
  16. SamIams

SamIams New Member

Hi Carol & Murphy. Thank you for the suggestion but living in Canada this site doesn't include us. I'm trying a new vet today though so fingers crossed.

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Carol, that site for me wasn't helpful. I called the listed ones in my area and they were vets in my area that I'd already been to or called. They were not cat only, or had special days or times for cat only, and when asked if they were well versed in FD the answers I got was "no more than anyone else". So think any vet can join that site as long as they see cats. The person needs to ask questions when they call.

18. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

thanks for letting me know that - I'll let the people at American Academy of Feline Practitioners know that -

19. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I hope the new vet works out for you but if not, let us know where in Canada you are located. There may be one of us Canadians in your area who can make a recommendation. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. b j m

b j m Guest

Sometimes it can be helpful to use Google Maps, and do the search as 'veterinarian near zip code' and see what pop up on the map as candidates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.