? First Successful Day on Basaglar, curve question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kyle&Vlad, May 3, 2020.

1. Kyle&Vlad

Kyle&Vlad Member

Tried getting vlad on Basaglar a few days ago, missed the shot and he ended up in the 600+ all day. He got very dehydrated and weak, and I got a little scared off and wanted to get his numbers down with vetsulin until he was a little stronger.

Decided to go for it again this morning, 4 U basaglar. It is only his first day. His BG is high, but steady. Steadiest its been in a long time, but still high in the 400's. I will stay the course for a few cycles, but he is so fragile I don't want to delay it longer than necessary. He has been on high dose vetsulin for awhile, but wasn't able to get his BG under control. Thought he had a UTI last week because he started to have blood in his urine. Culture came back negative, doc thinks it might be cystitis maybe, still unsure.

He's had a few days were I honestly wasn't sure he'd make it through the night had been so weak. Even though his BG is high right now, he is up and walking around, albeit slowly. Definitely has neuropathy and his legs tend to slip out from under him and send him crashing. He's getting better. He is on Zobaline atm. Today was the first day in a few days he ate much, feeling positive about that. I feel like if I can get his BG under control a lot of this will improve or resolve.

2. Kyle&Vlad

Kyle&Vlad Member

+6, still steady in the 400s. Remarkable.

3. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Hi Kyle,
    Sounds like Vlad has had a rough go of things. I think this was your last post http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...vetsulin-with-active-uti.228971/#post-2564357.

When you create a new post, link your old post so people can go back and see what's been going on. I would recommend that you post daily so people on this forum and keep up with Vlad and get to know him better. The format you'll want to use is "05/03 Vlad AMPS __" (date, kitties name and what his test numbers are).

If you happen to do a fur shot (and I'm famous for them) you will feel wetness around the injection site on Vlad's fur - the insulin kind of smells like a bandaid.

Glargine and Detemir are depot insulins which means it takes a few cycles for the depot to fill before you may get the full effect of the insulin. Here is a 'sticky' about the depot if you haven't already found the information http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/what-is-the-insulin-depot.150/

BG can really have an effect on how the cat feels.

Ask questions. There are tons of people on this board who have tons of experience dealing with FD - people here are very generous sharing their time and knowledge. I'm grateful every time I log in.

4. Judy and Freckles

I also see that you are doing a curve today. I'm not sure how much useful information you will get by doing a curve so soon after starting Basaglar because the depot is not really in play yet.

5. Judy and Freckles

Looking at your spreadsheet, I see you are testing a lot. That's great to be so proactive. You will likely be asked a few more questions so to help alleviate having to repeat yourself many times, you can add pertinent information to your signature line that appears in every post you make:

Make sure your signature is up-to-date.
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • Name of insulin
      • DX: date
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

On the first couple cycles, you don't need to test quite as often, the recommendation is something like every three hours moving to more frequent testing if the numbers get low enough to be of concern (which they aren't). Looks like Vlad is bouncing from yesterday's green too.

Kyle&Vlad likes this.
  7. Kyle&Vlad

Kyle&Vlad Member

I made some changes to my SS as per your reply, thank you.

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  8. Judy and Freckles

Good job. That's very helpful!

Have you decided what dosing method you are doing? SLGS or TR?
    Oh, I see that in your spreadsheet it's SLGS.

Have you read up on TR? For the amount of testing you do and you are not feeding dry cat food, you may want to learn more about TR so you can increase Vlad's insulin faster but still safely.

9. Kyle&Vlad

Kyle&Vlad Member

Vlad hasn't had dry food in like 2 years, I'm down with TR. I read the sticky on both and think I misunderstood them at first, re-read again.

I know its only one cycle of the basoglar, but I am estatic with the results. First time he hasn't had a number in the black in awhile, I got so excited at his PMPS number. Its high, but it is headed in a good direction.

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  10. Judy and Freckles

You are doing an awesome job with testing and recording numbers. It will be very helpful for experienced forum members to give you support when you need it because of all of the data you have collected! Good work!