First successful test!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Linda & Elvis, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

I got my new package of Alphatrak test strips yesterday, but couldn't get any blood last night & poor Elvis was getting frustrated with my fumbling.

But this morning, success in the second try! Her reading was 310. It wasn't on an empty stomach though - because she eats so little at any one time, sshe eats frequently so she's lapped up maybe a tablespoon of soupy cat food an hour earlier. (Then got more after her test & shot).

Next job: fluids. Tuesday the vet showed me how to administer them, but this will be my first time doing it my myself. So many needles for my poor sweet girl!

Jill & Jade, JanetNJ and beggargirl like this.
  2. Arathi & Yuki

Arathi & Yuki Member

great! it does feel good to be able to get the readings! there are some really good tips on here that have for sure helped me get better. good luck with fluids...is it temporary? well at least with the BG testing, they don't really feel it. i have at times had to prick three times to get one reading....yuki just continues eating her treats!

Marie&HerCats RUSTY likes this.
  3. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Marie&HerCats RUSTY Member

Congrats. Every small step to me, it reason to be optimistic! I give myself a woo hoo if I only have to prickly Rusty once when testing him.
    I also let Rusty snack thru put the day. Controlled portions of his overall amt of daily moist food & few treats each time I test.
    I have a ways to go before I am sure of his correct dosing and if feeding schedule is best or not.I'm also trying different types of food & snacks.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

Thanks! Yuki is so cute!
    The fluids are because her blood tests this past weekend showed that her kidneys have gotten worse - so now I need to give her fluids every other day. I know it makes her feel better, but it's going to be a challenge to find an appropriate space to do it, where she'll sit still. (I live in a small apartment. The vet tech, who's obviously experienced with these issues, suggested doing it inthe bath tub so I could hang the fluid bag from the shower head!)

Arathi & Yuki likes this.
  5. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

Thanks Marie - it really felt great to get a number. It's high but at least it's better than her first diagnosed number of 525 over the weekend.

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!

Is a very good start regardless of the number

:):):):)

7. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Rusty's has been up to 440. It sort of freaks you out for a bit. I try to look at it this way...At least Im in the treatment mode, it may be high but I know the insulin will bring it down somewhat and eventually Ill find the right dose, best time to administer and best food. I think whats important (not sure!) is that we are able to maintain the BG within a a consistent range. Rusty went a whole year ( after an episode of unknown brain injury/trauma )of being diabetic before a new Vet even tested for it.

8. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

" Yuki just keeps eating her treats" Love it! LOL

Arathi & Yuki likes this.
  9. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your first test!

10. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay! Way to go. It will get easier. Make sure to warm the fluids a little before administering. You will be a pro in no time. Bath tub sounds like a good place. Put a towel down or her favorite blanket. For her to lie on. It's intimidating at first but you'll get the hang of it. (Pardon the pun)

11. Arathi & Yuki

Arathi & Yuki Member

Hey Linda, how is it going with the fluids and BG testing?

12. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

not as well as I'd like - I can't consistently get blood. I bought some disposable lancet s that seem to work a little better but it took an hour & 11 tries to get one sample yesterday morning.
    And Elvis doesn't like the fluids so I've only gotten half the amount into her at one time - and another half on me.
    It's frustrating, and I worry that she 'll start hiding from me.

I made a rice sock to warm her ears but she doesn't seem to like it touching her (I made sure it wasn't too warm)
    Tell me it gets easier..?

13. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

She decided that the bath tub was a no go but I found i can hang the bag from a curtain rod near her napping place, so I've been able to do that. But the needle and the fluids bother her - she doesn't want to sit for the time needed. It is intimidating!

14. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

It will get easier! What size are the lancets you’re using? Be sure they are 26-28 gauge. Practice just warming the ear, treat and let her go without a test several times during the day.

15. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Phoebe has been getting fluids for a year now, she still doesn't like them, so I use 18 gauge needles it takes about 3-5 mins to get 100 in. Maybe find some good treats and let her eat them while giving the fluids. It will get better. You're doing great. :bighug:. If she gets fidgety you can slow down the fluids sometimes that helps until there is a bubble on her back then I turn the fluids up so they go faster. But in the beginning it goes slow. Do you warm up the fluids in a bowl of warm water first?

16. Linda & Elvis

Linda & Elvis Member

I didn't warm them - it's been warm here so I've just been doing room temperature. Maybe I'll try that to see if she's happier that way.
    That's a good tip about slowing it down till there's a bubble!

17. Arathi & Yuki

Arathi & Yuki Member

Hi Linda,
    Regarding the BG testing here are some really good tips put together by @Chris & China, these have helped me a lot. Also I found it easier to prick from inside the ear rather than outside, given yuki's position. You will eventually find something that works for you and elvis. All the best!

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing.Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you.

Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat.Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothingbetter than truly understanding what's going oninside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the morepower you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too.As silly as it might seem, trysinging! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm.A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well

For new kitties, using a heavier gaugelancet is also really helpful.A 25-28 gauge lancet pokes a bigger "hole" than a 31-33 gauge lancet does, so look for "Alternate Site testing" lancets that are usually a lower number

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too!Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was bakedchicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!

Linda & Elvis likes this.
  18. Arathi & Yuki

Arathi & Yuki Member

I also massage her ear rather than use the rice and sock.

Linda & Elvis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.