First Test Results - Need advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by EmilyH, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilyH

EmilyH Member

Hey everyone -

Just tested cosmo for the first time! What a trooper! He's obsessed with treats.

OK, so.... His number was 122. That's really good isn't it?

I switched his food this weekend from G/D (from his brother, but brother passed away last week) and we've been trying FF and Friskies. This morning he had a can of FF and 1.5 U of Novalin.

Um... what do I do? Just feed him dinner and test after dinner? No insulin? Help!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  2. Clark

Clark Member

200 is the Lowest for usual dose. 122 is really good. You can stall 20 minutes without feeding and test again. See if it comes up at all. . Always better to to be careful. You can be high for a day is safer than even low for a minute. 122 is to low. And even if she does come up after feeding her u don't want to go off that # for shot.

3. EmilyH

EmilyH Member

Ok, so I'm thinking - feed dinner, no insulin, and then test in the morning. He's hungry. lol

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  4. Clark

Clark Member

Sounds good. My first reading with Charlie was 155. I did not do a shot.

5. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with the insulin you are using so I'm not able to help you very much. Sorry. But because you are new and have very little testing data, I believe that the no shoot number is 200 on a human meter. Skipping the shot may be the safest choice for you.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes it is!!...and with Novolin, we pretty much don't shoot if they're much under 200 (at least until you have a LOT of data) because of the way it works

Changing to a low carb diet can have a profound effect!! Hopefully Cosmo will be one of the lucky ones who just needed a little help and a good diet!

EmilyH likes this.
  7. Bee

Bee Member

Iam new to testing too. My guy getting 1 U of Lantus once a day. I am using the Relion micro meter .The vet gave me no information on when how what numbers etc. So if he's at or under 200 don't give him a shot? But just keeping checking him? Its been a week and i just recently switched him raw food.His numbers have been in Mid 200 - 322.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

With Lantus, at first, if you get a Pre-shot number under 200, you want to Stall, DON'T FEED, and post for help. A lot of our advice will depend on seeing your spreadsheet (Instructions on setting up the spreadsheet)

It's not actually a "no shot" number as much as it is "wait for help until you know your cat's patterns"....One of the promises we make here is that if someone comments to help when you shoot a lower number, they will stay with you as long as necessary or find someone else who can....or they'll say up front that they can't stay.

With lantus, you want to Test/Feed/Shoot.....You test to make sure they're high enough for insulin, Feed to make sure they are at least willing to eat and Shoot....all in 5-10 minutes. Since lantus doesn't usually "kick in" for 2-3 hours, it's not as important that they eat a certain amount before you shoot....just that they are willing to eat and not sick or something

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good plan! And great job getting that test! See, this is why it's so good to test... He may have gone too low if you shot blind. Don't be surprised if the numbers a bit high this morning

EmilyH likes this.
  10. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Grats on first test! And a nice number :cool:. If he gives you a low PS again (under 200) and you decide to skip shot again, it's also useful to get another test around +2 or +3 just to see how he's doing on his own. :cat: New diet seems to be helping though :)

EmilyH likes this.
  11. EmilyH

EmilyH Member

Today was 326, so high, but still WAY better than the 500+ that we started with at the vet. I'd love to see things even out for my boy. And so would he. Lol Testing was a little rough this morning, but we got through it and he got a nice little treat after.

Yong & Maury GA and JanetNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.