First test tonight - Make sure I understand what I'm doing!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by EmilyH, Jul 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilyH

EmilyH Member

OK TEAM!

I got everything for Cosmo and we're going in for our first home test tonight. He's excited! (OK, just for his treats.)

I'm snooping at your spreadsheets to make sure I understand everything.

I test first, after he's had no food for 2 hours. Tonight that will go in PMPS. Morning goes in AMPS.

If I were to do a curve, or test at other times, I would do X amount of hours after feeding. So If I feed at 9, then test at 11, it goes in +2, right?

And what are the "ideal" numbers? That's where I'm not sure I know what I'm doing. If he's doing good, what should he be at right before he eats, and following that?

Thanks you guys. You're giving me SO MUCH more confidence.

2. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

You have the process down pat. All of your times stated would be correct on the spreadsheet.

Ideal normals are normally between 90-160 or so I think.

I'm new here also but the normally suggest no shot if they are at 200 or below before they eat. You can wait another 20 minutes and see if their BG goes up and then feed and give a shot.

I'm sure more experienced help is on the way. Good luck!

3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Yep you got it

The + is for your test number the hours after you gave the shot. That allows this to be used worldwide.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Close....it's how long it's been since the last shot....so if you Test/Feed/Shoot at 6am/6pm, you don't want him eating after 4am/4pm and then Test (to make sure he's high enough for insulin), Feed (to make sure he's at least willing to eat) and Shoot....all within 5-10 minutes....then if you test at 9am, it would go in the +3 cell on the AM cycle....if you test at 11pm, it would go in the +5 cell on the PM cycle...it always corresponds to the number of hours since the last shot

Good luck with your testing!!

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  5. EmilyH

EmilyH Member

You guys are the bestest. :) I feel so much better after coming here.

Amanda and a Loudogg and JanetNJ like this.
  6. EmilyH

EmilyH Member

Oooh, one more question.
    "High enough for insulin." - What is that number? Did I read somewhere that for those of us beginning this process, it should be above 200 at that point to give insulin? (Which I'm sure he is, but I want to make sure I get the numbers right.) Thanks!

7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Emily, one other thing, are you still on Novolin (I see in your Signature changing insulin). If so the Test/ Feed / Shoot routine shouldn't be done in 5 - 10 minutes. Novolin has a quicker onset than some insulins, so I'll wait for clarification before further explaining :).

High enough for insulin - For new members that is a PS BG above 200 :)

8. EmilyH

EmilyH Member

Yes, still on Novalin. Changing things slowly here. Lol

9. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Ok just wanted to confirm. With Novolin N, routine might go something like this: (leaving 5 minutes for testing and getting food ready, this will probably become quicker ;))
    1. No food after 06:55/18:55
    2. 08:55 / 20:55 - Take PS test. If BG is above 200, next step. If BG is less than 200, post here and ask for help. You'll need to have your Spreadsheet setup for the best immediate assistance.
    3. Give meal.
    4. Wait at least 20 minutes up to 30 minutes.
    5. 09:20 / 21:20 - Administer insulin.
    For faster onsetting insulins, it's best to have food "onboard" when insulin is starting to work. Try to grab a +2 or +3 test whenever possible to see how fast / slow he's dropping. With a full time job these would be "before bed" tests. Try to get opposite cycle readings and other mid cycle tests on weekends / days off :)

Elizabeth and Bertie and EmilyH like this.
  10. EmilyH

EmilyH Member

Perfect. Here's hoping everything goes smoothly! Just got his spreadsheet set up, so ready to go there. And since I haven't been sleeping AT ALL at night, if I'm up in the middle of the night, I may start middle of the night tests! ;)

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us drink a big glass of water before bed so we HAVE to get up in the middle of the night.....but you'll soon learn how to "sleep test"....there are lots of mornings that the only way I know I tested in the middle of the night is that there's a number on the meter I don't remember .....LOL

Yong & Maury GA and EmilyH like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.